Topic Stats

• 32 posts
  • 27 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by mbaumle
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 2 years ago

I'm going to buy another machine. I am considering re-buying a TAF , or possibly going for a LOTR. I don't have any "quest" type game ( a la LOTR). I love TAF and I sold a great one just so I could make some room for a MB. Regretting that so would like to hear everybody's thoughts

#2 2 years ago

The allure of AF is lost on me. I just don't enjoy the game mainly because of The Power literally forcing me to cradle the ball for way too long to time it out way too often. LOTR by a mile.

#3 2 years ago

LOTR by a mile. I have both (10 and 15 years). LOTR is top or at least top 3. I don' think TAF is top 10.

#4 2 years ago

I have both and would say go with the LOTR. As you said it's a quest game very fun and different from others. If your a fan of the movie it's the way to go. TAF is also one of my favorite games so I'm not just someone that doesn't like TAF.

#5 2 years ago

WOW. I have to admit I surprised. Anybody else ?

#7 2 years ago

Lotr especially bc u have allready owned a taf. I will never get a game i sold until ive owned all the dmd pins on my wishlist.

#8 2 years ago

I enjoy both. You can't really go wrong with either one. It all depends upon what kind of game you're looking for and the right deal that comes along.

Considering that you've already had a TAF, I'd say mix it up a bit with a LOTR instead. They don't surface quite as often as a TAF, and you can always get a TAF another time.

#9 2 years ago

Had a beautiful TAF w/ a brand new CC'd IPB playfield. It was my favorite game in college. Really enjoyed having it, but it's gone after eight months and my LOTR comes Saturday. I don't plan on it leaving for a long time. I guess it all depends on the balance of your collection. Can't go wrong with either

#10 2 years ago

I have owned both (more than once). I find TAF to be a lighter, fun game and LOTR to be more serious with long game times. Guess it depends on what you enjoy. Personally I prefer TAF and so do my kids.

#11 2 years ago

Lord of the rings all day

#12 2 years ago

Both are great games IMO. Considering you've already owned TAF, I would go with LOTR.

#13 2 years ago

Have both in my family. LOTR is the better game.

#14 2 years ago

LOTR is one of the best pinball machines ever made. TAF is good, but LOTR is great. LOTR just hit it for the different stages of the game. It has small goals, medium goals, and almost impossible goals. The callouts (if you like them), are the best. You get something for starting multiballs and modes, but much better rewards for finishing them. It's the whole package. Get one, and enjoy.

#15 2 years ago

Bought a nib LOTR didn't keep it very long. To me the ball times were too long, didn't feel like you were doing anything. I remember groaning every time the ball went into the path of the dead, just seemed pointless. LOTR does have some great music, nice looking game (except the plastics). I have owned TAF for over 20 years, totally different game , great ruleset and callouts, just a really fun game that everybody likes. Still fun to watch new players freak out when the balls spin around the wrong way. Biggest problem with TAF is finding one that is just not beaten to death.

#16 2 years ago
Quoted from royt:

Biggest problem with TAF is finding one that is just not beaten to death.

Id have to agree with that! Biggest problem with LOTR is finding one at ALL!

#17 2 years ago

I've had both. Owned Addams for 6 months maybe. Had LOTR for about 6 years. I would buy another Lord of The Rings without a second thought.

#18 2 years ago

I think Lord of the rings is the better game but I personally like Addams family more.

#19 2 years ago

I also have both and for a very long time. 1st run of LOTR new and TAF long before that. Personally I like LOTR a bit more. It's definitely a players game. Tough with long ball times and still no Valinore for me
Something else to consider, guests seem to like TAF more than LOTR. So, if you're buying the game for you, LOTR all day long. If it's for guests that are not pinheads, I'd go with TAF.

#20 2 years ago
Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

Had a beautiful TAF w/ a brand new CC'd IPB playfield. It was my favorite game in college. Really enjoyed having it, but it's gone after eight months and my LOTR comes Saturday. I don't plan on it leaving for a long time.

Oh, don't worry...it'll eventually leave. I get the feeling you're a halfway decent player, and when you're racking up 45 minute games, you'll want to kill yourself whenever you hear "EXTRA BALL!"

#21 2 years ago

I go with TAF. I enjoy the gameplay more, and frankly hate the LOTR theme and artwork.

#22 2 years ago

This is like deciding whether to eat pizza and wings, or cake and ice cream. No matter who wins, you win! I'm a big fan of both games, but for me, nostalgia would tip the scales to TAF. On the other hand, you can't go wrong with LOTR. As far as code goes, it doesn't get much better.

Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I love TAF and I sold a great one just so I could make some room for a MB.

Hey, I did the same thing! As fate would have it, this past December, I picked up a 2nd MB, sold it, and used some of the funds to pick up a TAF. Now I have them both and balance has been restored to the universe.

Quoted from Rush1169:

The allure of AF is lost on me. I just don't enjoy the game mainly because of The Power literally forcing me to cradle the ball for way too long to time it out way too often.

Whaaaaat? You cradle the ball during one of the funnest modes of the game, so that you can avoid the wacky randomness of he magnets?! To each their own, I suppose, but maybe you'd find the game to be fun if you didn't spend time avoiding the fun.

#23 2 years ago

I am fortunate enough to own both. Have had Lord of the Rings since I get it new in 03 and knuckled under and picked up a restored Addams Family about 10 years ago. Neither will ever leave. That said If I could only get one it would be Lord of the Rings. The game is simply one of the best done machines ever. Seeing you had Addams I'd give Lord of the rings a shot. The beauty of it is whichever way you go there is always demand for either game so selling should never be a problem.

#24 2 years ago

I have a mint HUO perfect in every way LOTRs I would trade for TAF in same condition. Some cash on my end

#25 2 years ago

LOTR is my vote.

I've owned TAF. Got bored of it very quickly. I had always wanted one, but couldn't justify the price. This is years ago and the price seems ludicrously low compared to today's prices. Anyhow I tired of it quickly even though I loved it on location.

I've own a HUO LOTR for...has to be about 8 years now. I love the game. Those complaining about long ball times....open the out lanes to full, change TTT multiball so you have to light LOCK for each lock -- intermediate setting I think? Anyhow, those two changes make the ball times more reasonable and you will feel like you earned a good score. I also turn extra ball to max 2 per game. You can reduce it to 0, increase sloop, take out the out lanes, etc. to make it even tougher. I just don't get the "long ball time" argument.

#26 2 years ago

I like TAF and may add it to my collection some day but LOTR is a keeper in my line up. I agree that LOTR ball times can be longer than most machines but it *IS* a "quest game". And, as TwilightZone mentioned, there are many ways to increase the difficulty in the game.

With that being said, it is much easier finding a TAF than a LOTR.

#27 2 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

I have a mint HUO perfect in every way LOTRs I would trade for TAF in same condition. Some cash on my end

This is the thing I don't get, everyone seems to like LOTR better, yet TAF always seems to sell for more. Why?

At least in this neck of the woods, I've seen more LOTR for sale than TAF too...

I'd still rather have LOTR though... great game...

#28 2 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Oh, don't worry...it'll eventually leave. I get the feeling you're a halfway decent player, and when you're racking up 45 minute games, you'll want to kill yourself whenever you hear "EXTRA BALL!"

Well, you can't be right all the time hah. I'm average at best on a good day. You'll see eventually, I'm slowly but surely meeting up with other North Jersey folks. Hell, Saveleaningtower beat me!

I have a fair amount of ass kickers in my collection now, so I welcome an epic game. I'm sure it will be gone however in a couple years when I ascend to a full-blown system 11 / EM nerd

#29 2 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

This is the thing I don't get, everyone seems to like LOTR better, yet TAF always seems to sell for more. Why?

At least in this neck of the woods, I've seen more LOTR for sale than TAF too...

I'd still rather have LOTR though... great game...

Because he said he wanted a HUO perfect TAF. Lots more LOTR around in that category than TAF. When you're talking about beat-up player's machines, the prices are a lot closer & in some cases a LOTR in similar condition will go for more.

#30 2 years ago
Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

I'm sure it will be gone however in a couple years when I ascend to a full-blown system 11 / EM nerd

I got there pretty fast...EMs are the only used games that interest me now.

#31 2 years ago

By the way, I was so busy complaining about the long ball times on LOTR that I forgot to answer the OP's question: LOTR is by far the better game. Although the magnets on TAF are great, and it has one of the best multiball initiation sequences EVER.

#32 2 years ago

I definitely prefer the depth of rules LOTR has to offer, and while I can't willingly criticize TAF for having a relatively shallow ruleset (as it is a product of the time it was built it), I'd still prefer TAF, as I like the humor and it's timeless nature.

Granted, if LOTR was thematically different, I'd go for that. I'm partial to game theme for sure.

Now, stepping back and looking at each game objectively, and considering you've owned TAF in the past, I would choose LOTR for sure.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 135.00
Lighting - Led
LED OCD
$ 209.00
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Machine - For Sale
Sioux Falls, SD
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
West Chicago, IL
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pin Mods
$ 75.00
$ 25.00
$ 1,099.00
€ 95.00
Lighting - Led
FlipperLED
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
€ 159.00
Cabinet - Toppers
FlipperLED
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 39.50
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus
7,000 (OBO)
Sale Pending!
Greensboro, NC
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
$ 47.00
$ 65.00
Machine - For Sale
Anaheim, CA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside