Topic Stats

• 36 posts
  • 30 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by DarthPaul
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 1 year ago

So I'm looking for a birthday gift for myself, even though I don't know where I'm going to put it. My choices have come down to LOTR or STTNG, I'm asking for your assistance in making my decision. I like wide bodies and have always been a fan of the next generation. I love the Lord of the rings movies and it's a beautiful looking machine. Value for price will also be a consideration, the LOTR is about $4k -$5k more expensive. Please help me Pinside, you're my only hope.

#2 1 year ago

I’ve owned both. Wish I had LOTR back.

#3 1 year ago

LOTR. Still the best Stern ever in my opinion.

#4 1 year ago

Had massive sellers remorse when I sold my LOTR. Long playing game, but an absolute classic.

#5 1 year ago

LOTR but STTNG isn’t a bad second choice. Comes cheaper these days as well. With that being said, just get what you want. I never understand these threads and what difference it makes what we think!

#6 1 year ago

I will go STTNG. For the money it has a lot going for it. Lots of shots, great multi ball modes, lots of real callouts and even a decent video mode.

LOTR is a true classic but it is hard for me to keep hitting the start button repeatedly in the same day. I do not have that problem with STTNG

I have owned 3 STTNG’s. Finally found a keeper. Also long time owner of LOTR.

#7 1 year ago

Used to have both and they were fun while I had them. I'd take the LOTR back.

#8 1 year ago

Lotr is a clunky turd, what other game purposely hits the side of the cabinet in a ramp shot? Drops balls on plastics? Modes are boring imo. Don't miss mine.

Love STTNG.

#9 1 year ago

I’m not convinced a LOTR is 4-5k better than a STTNG; condition being equal. There was a time when STTNG was considered one of the best, yet I think the theme hasn’t aged well. If you want an adrenaline rush, go STTNG. If you want a classic Gomez with deep rules, go LOTR. Either one is a winner in my book.

#10 1 year ago

Any time I think of selling my LOTR I end up holding onto it, because everyone looking to buy is someone who used to have it and regrets letting it go.

#11 1 year ago

Two of the best games made. You cant go wrong either way.

#12 1 year ago

I have both. If I had to pick one to keep it's a tough choice but probably LOTR wins

#13 1 year ago

If price to gameplay is a consideration, get STTNG. It has fun modes, great shots, and cool mechs. Plus you like wide body games, it’s a slam dunk for you.
LOTR is a good game, but for the price I’d take a lot of other games over it.

#14 1 year ago
Quoted from TheShadowsNose:

Any time I think of selling my LOTR I end up holding onto it, because everyone looking to buy is someone who used to have it and regrets letting it go.

Its a game I like to play once in a great while.
I had one that I got bored with and sold. Sometimes I wish I kept it. But as soon as I play one, I’m over it, and I’m glad I sold it. It doesn’t make me want to keep pressing start. I have the same feelings about Spider-Man. Both are good games that I like playing when I can. I don’t need to own either.

#15 1 year ago

I've owned both games in the past for long periods of time and I miss STTNG more. LOTR is great but the game times are way too long.

#16 1 year ago

I vote LOTR. Had both. LOTR is still here and I've owned it for close to a decade. Also, owned STTNG for a decade, but let it go earlier this year.

STNG is a fun game, but seems there is always something breaking on it. I think it has more features than it should have given the time period. Everyone that owns one admits it does take a fair bit of maintenance. I started getting frustrated that I was working on it more than playing it.

It was working 100% and sold it. Of course the trough opto board went out on it's 6 hour journey to it's new home. New owner was frustrated when he couldn't play a game upon set up, but it was working when it left my place. Fortunately I was able to diagnose the issue remotely. He could have reflowed solder, but decided to buy a replacement board which was a cheap fix. That experience took away any sellers remorse I might have had.

#17 1 year ago

LOTR is a great game, but I don't think it's worth the sudden jump it made up to $10k.

#18 1 year ago

Both amazing games. Of my 6 pins these are the two bolted to the floor. Don't do sttng unless you can do some repairs. LoTr is a longer player you will never beat. At the same time I've gotten warp 9.9 twice. If I could only have one pin though it's STTNG.

#19 1 year ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

LOTR is a great game, but I don't think it's worth the sudden jump it made up to $10k.

When’d this happen? Maybe from more content coming? Glad I still have one but it’s ran into the ground.

#20 1 year ago

Thanks for all the input, sounds like I can't go wrong either way, STTNG has the edge at this point.

#21 1 year ago

Both are great games. I prefer STTNG.

#23 1 year ago
Quoted from MaxIsDead:

I have both. If I had to pick one to keep it's a tough choice but probably LOTR wins

Exactly my situation and my opinion as well.

#24 1 year ago

I've owned both. I'm shocked LOTR is so far in the lead. LOTR became a chore. Super long game times, even for mediocre games. STTNG is a game you can have fun with a 5 minute game. It's beatable, but you can approach it in different ways to keep it interesting. I sold both years ago, but I'm not sure I've bothered to play LOTR since on location or at shows. I don't miss it at all. STTNG by a mile.

#25 1 year ago

Love LotR but it plays too long for me.

I’d rather have SM than either of these choices.

#26 1 year ago
Quoted from Shredso:

I've owned both. I'm shocked LOTR is so far in the lead. LOTR became a chore. Super long game times, even for mediocre games. STTNG is a game you can have fun with a 5 minute game. It's beatable, but you can approach it in different ways to keep it interesting. I sold both years ago, but I'm not sure I've bothered to play LOTR since on location or at shows. I don't miss it at all. STTNG by a mile.

I’ve played LotR in the wild and same thing one game is enough for me. It gets to be a chore to play.

#27 1 year ago

LOL at the ball times on LOTR.

Ya’ll did see those 3-4 hour movies, right?

#28 1 year ago

I’ve just sold a LoTR after owning it for nearly a year. And, yes, what got to me is the long ball times and the not-especially-interesting shots.

It’s a conventional fan layout with a central shot that, if you’re playing well, you hit infrequently. So, compared to something like AFM, there isn’t much risk/reward in the individual shots because they’re unlikely to go SDTM. Thus, the game is entirely ‘shoot loop x twice, shoot orbit y twice’ to progress the modes and multi-balls where the individual shots aren’t that exciting.

My husband liked the pin because the multi-balls are very different, but I felt the amount of fun per minute of play was relatively low.

It does replicate the feel of the films very well, but that’s because they’re 3-4 hours long and a big part of the plot is two blokes trekking slowly and painfully up a volcano…

#29 1 year ago
Quoted from DarthPaul:

So I'm looking for a birthday gift for myself, even though I don't know where I'm going to put it. My choices have come down to LOTR or STTNG, I'm asking for your assistance in making my decision. I like wide bodies and have always been a fan of the next generation. I love the Lord of the rings movies and it's a beautiful looking machine. Value for price will also be a consideration, the LOTR is about $4k -$5k more expensive. Please help me Pinside, you're my only hope.

Both top 5 games of all time for me. I don't think you can go wrong with either, but if price is a consideration go with STTNG. A very challenging machine with tons to do and theme integration that is second to none.

#30 1 year ago

STTNG is more interesting and more fun.

#31 1 year ago

I like both games and both themes a lot but it'd be ST:TNG for me.

#32 1 year ago

I've been in the hobby since 92'. Over 200 pins in and out during those years. I usually have ~20 pins in my game room.

I've tried to love LOTR thruout the years. I've played it many times, but never owned one. But always had ST-TNG since the mid 90's.
IMHO: at approx 1/2 the price, ST-TNG hands down is the winner.

#33 1 year ago
Quoted from Kerry_Richard:

I've been in the hobby since 92'. Over 200 pins in and out during those years. I usually have ~20 pins in my game room.
I've tried to love LOTR thruout the years. I've played it many times, but never owned one. But always had ST-TNG since the mid 90's.
IMHO: at approx 1/2 the price, ST-TNG hands down is the winner.

Picking up STTNG tomorrow.

#34 1 year ago

I have owned both. I think fun wise it’s the Lord of the rings by a long shot. Plus on STTNG it’s too easy to get to the wizard mode, whereas lord the rings is almost impossible. So you’ll get bored with star trek a lot sooner.

#35 1 year ago

LOTR, less trouble, great game if you want a long playing pin

#36 1 year ago

LOTR may still be in my future, just not right now.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 64.99
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 39.50
Machine - For Sale
Winston-salem, NC
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pleasanton, CA
$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

€ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 8.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lotr-or-sttng?hl=veemonroe and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.