• Latest reply 10 years ago by FLpinball
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSC09320.JPG
#1 10 years ago

Greetings! Thinking of adding a LOTR or Spiderman. If both are of similar quality and price…what is the better game? My main question is do I have to be a big LOTR fan to enjoy the game? Based on my current line-up what do you think would be a better fit? Best wishes, Charlie

#2 10 years ago

greed is good. is both an option?!?

#3 10 years ago
Quoted from FLpinball:

Greetings! Thinking of adding a LOTR or Spiderman. If both are of similar quality and price…what is the better game? My main question is do I have to be a big LOTR fan to enjoy the game? Based on my current line-up what do you think would be a better fit? Best wishes, Charlie

I would think having a ST and spiderman would get a little repetitive. I know they arent the same game, but they have some similarities. My vote is LOTR

#4 10 years ago
Quoted from edwinpblue:

wow. is both an option?!?

no

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from jdoz2:

I would think having a ST and spiderman would get a little repetitive. I know they arent the same game, but they have some similarities. My vote is LOTR

You have a Humpty Dumpty? How fricking cool is that!!

#6 10 years ago

Hello,

I have both Lord of the Rings and Spiderman, you won't make a bad choice either way. They are very different games. You don't have to be a fan of Lord of the Rings but it helps in my opinion, just understanding how the game mimics the movies so to speak in term of what you need to do. I really enjoyed seeing the parallels between the movies and the pin. The same holds true for me with Spiderman but since you have avengers I'm guessing you like superheros and looking at your collection I think I'd go Spiderman. Again you will not make a bad choice both have stellar code and are top notch to play. Hope this helps.

Jim

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from jsandjs:

Hello,
I have both Lord of the Rings and Spiderman, you won't make a bad choice either way. They are very different games. You don't have to be a fan of Lord of the Rings but it helps in my opinion, just understanding how the game mimics the movies so to speak in term of what you need to do. I really enjoyed seeing the parallels between the movies and the pin. The same holds true for me with Spiderman but since you have avengers I'm guessing you like superheros and looking at your collection I think I'd go Spiderman. Again you will not make a bad choice both have stellar code and are top notch to play. Hope this helps.
Jim

Quoted from jsandjs:

Hello,
Jim

Excellent feedback Jim. Thanks you. BTW please send a 12 pack of Ted's Hot Dogs down to FLA!!!

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from FLpinball:

You have a Humpty Dumpty? How fricking cool is that!!

Its a MASSIVE project that will probably never work because of missing parts. It actually came from a couple hours south of you near Port Charlotte. Here is a little more info on it if you care: http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-new-gifted-pin

Oh, and Im a big LOTR fan and my opinion is a little biased.

#9 10 years ago

Can do! Oddly enough I was there for lunch today, a dog and a burger withe a order of onion rings, pure heaven!!

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from FLpinball:

xcellent feedback Jim. Thanks you. BTW please send a 12 pack of Ted's Hot Dogs down to FLA!!!

Can do! Oddly enough I was there for lunch today, a dog and a burger with a order of onion rings. Pure heaven!!

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from jsandjs:

Can do! Oddly enough I was there for lunch today, a dog and a burger withe a order of onion rings, pure heaven!!

Oh baby!!!!! Wifes sister lives in Williamsville!!!

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from FLpinball:

Oh baby!!!!! Wifes sister lives in Williamsville!!!

Holy crap! I take it you make it up here from time to time eh? Our sports team are a bit dodgy but we have some excellent local foods!

#13 10 years ago

Those were my first two machines bought about 1 month apart.

SM is fast and smooth. Great sounds and callouts from the movies with custom calls from JJJ. Battle Royal is a great and attainable sub wizard mode. Slightly faster and shorter gameplay than LOTR. Very solid and fun game.

LOTR is a bit slower and has longer game times, but it is super deep. Exceptional theme integration. Awesome music, custom dots, quotes and music right from the movies, with custom callouts from Gimli and Frodo.

I think you can't go wrong with either. Pick based on whether you like longer epic games with super deep modes, or slightly quicker games. I have picked games that play differently from ones I already own and that has worked well for me. Or if you love one theme more than the other, that might push you over the top.

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from Apollyon:

Those were my first two machines bought about 1 month apart.
SM is fast and smooth. Great sounds and callouts from the movies with custom calls from JJJ. Battle Royal is a great and attainable sub wizard mode. Slightly faster and shorter gameplay than LOTR. Very solid and fun game.
LOTR is a bit slower and has longer game times, but it is super deep. Exceptional theme integration. Awesome music, custom dots, quotes and music right from the movies, with custom callouts from Gimli and Frodo.
I think you can't go wrong with either. Pick based on whether you like longer epic games with super deep modes, or slightly quicker games. I have picked games that play differently from ones I already own and that has worked well for me. Or if you love one theme more than the other, that might push you over the top.

Thanks bro! Tell me, what if I through POTC into the mix? Any thoughts?

#15 10 years ago

I have both and I would say LOTR. I love both games and don't think you can really go wrong.

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from FLpinball:

I picked up POTC 5th (in order, I got LOTR LE, SM, TSPP, IM, POTC, Xmen LE, TF LE, and AV LE). Obviously I am a big fan of movies and comic themes.

POTC is a very different playing game. Missed shots to the right (i.e. missing the chest or monkey and hitting the surrounding targets) come back very fast and unforgiving. As others have noted, the game is a bit stop and go and less flow. That is not necessarily a bad thing (I like how POTC is different / unique in its feel). Its just that you make a shot, some shit happens, and then the ball makes its way back to you. Ship is the coolest toy in all my collection. Not as deep rules wise, but still very fun. Its my brother in law's favourite in my collection. Lots of action off the slings too. Great music, and the callouts are done by a Johnny Depp sound alike, but they did a GREAT job in that respect. I did not know it was not JD for months after I bought it. Its that good.

I have ranked it lower than SM and LOTR, but it is just such a different bird.

#17 10 years ago

My best friend has POTC it is exactly as Apollyon says, I would agree 100% ranking below LOTR and Spiderman but it really is a fun pin to play with good callouts fun but not overly complicated and or deep rules.

#18 10 years ago

I had both but one had to make way for MOP.
It was a tough decision but LOTR stayed.I am not a huge fan of either MArvel or the LOTR franchise,just thought LOTR was better.i miss SM,and if Stern don't get off their frickin' arse code wise MOP will go and SM will return as pissed off with their lack of communication re code updates for MOP.

If I had time/money i would sue them for advertising goods that were missing advertised/sold features.

Anywhoo,no such isssue re these two ttiles as code done.
All down to modes v speed at a very basic level.LOTR is different to others in my collection - FGuy,G n R,AFM,RBION,TAF,MGOW,HH,TX etc so thats why I kept the LOTR

poibug

#20 10 years ago

not sure how bro

#23 10 years ago

To the OP

No you do not need to be a fan of LOTR to enjoy the game. First NIB game I bought in 2004. I had never read the books or watched the movies. Great game and very exciting. Love the rules.

I have since seen the movies. Excellent mesh with the game.

#24 10 years ago

LOTR, but I'm hopelessly biased. It's my favorite game, even if the ball times can become lengthy when you rack up a good score. SM is no slouch, but LOTR still wins the race for me. I guess that I like the 'adventure/quest' vibe of the game.

#25 10 years ago

I would say LOTR all the way . I have a Spidey right now in the collection and its a fun game but LOTRs is just awesome. I wasn't even a big fan of the movies but that game rocks!

#26 10 years ago

I own both and each one is a great game, but I prefer LOTR. There is so much to do, and the theme is integrated as well as any game Ive seen. (Although even if you aren't a LOTR fan, you can still enjoy the game.)

#27 10 years ago

I vote LOTR, but as a lot of people have said, they are both great games. So I guess it just comes down to the style differences in both games and which theme you like better. If it was me and I could not own both, I would get Spidey first. Then as I got bored with it down the road, I'd boot it out and use the cash to pay for my LOTR. You can own both, just not at the same time. Play the snot out of one, then flip it for the other.

#28 10 years ago

Love and own them both... but my vote is LOTR

#29 10 years ago

agreed you need a poll. I would also vote LOTR and would even say that if you didn't have ST

#30 10 years ago

In my opinion you don't have to be a fan of the movies for lord of the rings, I watched the first movie years ago when it was at the cinema's and thought it was cool but never went back to watch the others, but when I played the game for the first time I fell in love straight away, without out a doubt my favourite game, sure it will remain that way, but after I got into the game, I watched the other lord of the rings movies only to understand the game a bit more because I didn't know any of the characters, so I was familiar with them from playing the game and hearing the call-outs , so in this case the game got me into the movies. But with that being said, im not trying to sell spider-man short by any measure, that games an absolute killer, love the movies unfortunately haven't spent much time on the machine, but what I have played on it, I know its my sort of game, without a doubt....

#31 10 years ago

I'm the oddball that likes SM better, hands down.....theme, tight ramps, callouts, and just really fun to play...alot....LOTR just feels like work to me, but I know I'm in the minority.....play em both and get the one you enjoy most......

#32 10 years ago

Both are excellent. They are so different though.

#33 10 years ago

SM better.

#35 10 years ago

Get LOTR

Don't be an idiot

#36 10 years ago

Spiderman is awesome and I spent countless hours on it, to the point where it got old. I've spent more time on LOTR and it hasn't gotten the least bit stale.

Both great games, but LOTR is the way to go.

#37 10 years ago

You're talking about 3 really good games, so you can't go wrong unless you choose POTC and don't like it's gameplay. I really like my POTC because of it being a shooter's game. It's not the deepest, but it's not an easy game to beat either. But it's definitely a family favorite. Enjoy which ever you choose, and play the crap out of it.

#38 10 years ago

I would like both but if I had to choose, I would take Spider-Man. I like em fast!

#39 10 years ago
Quoted from Azmodeus:

I would take Spider-Man. I like em fast!

Now this is the issue, my LOTR plays so freaking fast with upgraded flipper coils, proper waxing/leveling of the play filed. Pitch LOTR up and I feel it plays equally fast as Spidey. Lotr has more Vuks so its going to be slightly slower in that regard.

Both outstanding games, say what you will about the pin side rankings, but they are both top ten for a reason.

#40 10 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

Now this is the issue, my LOTR plays so freaking fast with upgraded flipper coils, proper waxing/leveling of the play filed. Pitch LOTR up and I feel it plays equally fast as Spidey. Lotr has more Vuks so its going to be slightly slower in that regard.

Sm is faster with Smoother flow. LOTR has too much stuff that stops the ball (POTD up post, only one orbit returns to flippers, Golum horribly designed upkicker, shire) Even the right orbit can feel very clunky at times. Both good games but if you were choosing on speed & flow alone SM is the choice.

#41 10 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

Golum horribly designed upkicker, shire)

How so? Mine run superbly smooth. Love my shire!

DSC09320.JPGDSC09320.JPG

#42 10 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

DSC09320.JPG 248 KB

im talking about the golum shot that the ball passes thought and into the pops 80% of the time.

#43 10 years ago

LOTR, my first pin since getting back into it. (had a TZ and a STTNG years ago.). after getting several more pins, i was looking for something on the newer to nib side. tried out a lot and really played SM enough to get a good idea. went with ac/dc prem! IMHO, LOTR is still the best game out there. now if i could only get the sound to come back on!

#44 10 years ago

Both are GREAT,SM is the best

#45 10 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

DSC09320.JPG 248 KB

Shire grass looks great, without that ugly metal thing all around it!

#46 10 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

im talking about the golum shot that the ball passes thought and into the pops 80% of the time.

Yeah, you really need a soft touch to not go into the pop bumpers. I consider that a reflection of the player's skill not an issue with the game design.

#47 10 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

Yeah, you really need a soft touch to not go into the pop bumpers. I consider that a reflection of the player's skill not an issue with the game design.

It also helps to use the right flipper and backhand the Gimli shot so you can control the speed. Randomness is supposed to be a part of pinball. It is getting lost in many of the modern ramp games. Thank goodness games like Avengers and ACDC brought it back to some degree.

#48 10 years ago

I've owned both at the same time....LOTR is the better choice (not that SM is bad)

#49 10 years ago
Quoted from FLpinball:

I have both as well,and owned POTC in the past.
With your current line up I would skip POTC.
it is fun,but I found it to be repetitive after a while,hitting the chest was always a chore,seemed to be the last one completed.
If I had the room though,I would have kept it.Nice change up from the others.
I was considering selling my LOTR LE,and played a couple of games,sucked me right back in again.
The game is deep,but has long ball times,I do not play it with guests,or they just stand and watch me play.
SM, I love it for flow,and speed. you can cancel animations,with the flippers and put the ball back in play.
First newer game I got over a billion on,was a rush the hole time to.
It would be a tuff choice for me to pick one over the other.
Good luck with your choice

#50 10 years ago

Thank you all for your great responses & feedback! Looks like I have a Lord of the Rings in my future! Best wishes to all, Charle

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
€ 7.50
$ 39.50
9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 25.95
$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 12.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fairfield, CT
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 79.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Pinball Life

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

arcade-cabinets.com

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Lombard, IL
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lotr-or-spiderman and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.