Topic poll

“For the same price, condition the same - which do you buy?”

• Lord of the Rings is Precious 42 votes
    61%
  • I'm hard for Scared Stiff 27 votes
    39%

(69 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_1922_(resized).JPG
IMG_1924_(resized).JPG
IMG_1923_(resized).JPG

#1 3 years ago

Looking at a route-fresh find: If you could get a Scared Stiff or a LOTR for about the same price range, which would you choose and why?

Conditions, I'm thinking are basically equal. Working but routed-quality, semi-worn playfields, plenty of back box hacks in both but all salvageable for the right price. I've played a collector-quality SS and liked it but I could see where it might get redundant over time. I've briefly played a beat-up LOTR and I see where a good one could be awesome.

I would probably do a moderate restore, correct the hacks, play for a couple years and then sell or trade later.
(Not looking to flip for profit.)

#2 3 years ago

LOTR all day long, deep rules and fun game. SS is great too, but I'd probably grow old faster (IMHO)

#3 3 years ago

Two totally different pins

LOTR long ball time and deep rules.

SS shorter ,still alot of fun.

I own both SS is not a challenge anymore

#4 3 years ago

SS all day long. Theme, fun, art.

#5 3 years ago

Not even close. Ss is a pretty game, the callouts are great and its a lot of fun, but it's way too shallow and easy for my taste. I recently sold my ss after not owning it very long and I've had lotr about 3 years now.

#6 3 years ago

(Poll added) -- thank you for the responses and feedback - this definitely helps.

#7 3 years ago

I had both and sold SS. For a smaller collection, SS runs its course too quick. LOTR just had more to do and deeper rules so its a longer term keeper. For a larger collection, SS is a keeper and has one of the best themes.

#8 3 years ago

I think they are both fairly equal choices but with very different tradeoffs. Looking at your collection I think SS would be the most suitable addition. You've got plenty of games that are similar to LOTR but nothing like SS.

SS is fairly basic, sure, but you've got a big enough collection that you can go to something complex with long ball times if that is what you want. SS is a great game to play with buddies and is a particularly good game to introduce to new players.

#9 3 years ago

I've owned both, and still have SS (and will likely never part with it).

LOTR is fantastic - great deep ruleset, fun shots, etc. Really can't go wrong with it unless you don't like the theme. Despite parting with it, it is in my top 3 favorites.

For me, SS is all about the theme - I am a huge Elvira fan, so that goes a long way as to why it will never leave. The callouts are hillarious, the lighting is awesome, and to me, it is just a fun game to play. Even though I have owned it for over 4 years in my small collection, I still love playing it. I am not the best player, so starting the Stiff-O-Meter is easy, but completing it is a challenge for me (I get too excited and choke, heh). I've never even come close to completing the spider wheel. It is not the deepest game, that is for sure, but I appreciate it for that...pairs very nicely next to my Twilight Zone.

So...it really depends what kind of gameplay you are looking for. In my book, you can't go wrong with either one.

#10 3 years ago

Thank you again, guys. It's really helpful to get different eyes and opinions on it. See, I like the theme of SS - alot and I do like the flowiness of it. The stiff-o-meter heartbeat is awesome, as is the coil freak out thing that follows..

I'm not really a LOTR fan but I know it is an epic pin that I just haven't discovered enough yet to appreciate. I did like the shots and the the look of the game and I usually like a deep game but - variety is good too.

If I get into the weeds with a playfield swap (Not sure i'd need to), quick search looks like I can get into a LOTR playfield still without alot of cajoling.. SS seems like all the reproduction runs have sold out. (A pretty clean used one on eBay for about 1k, though)

Impressions on the parts acquisition difficulty on SS?

#11 3 years ago

Never had a LOTR, but I put a few games on one. Ive owned a SS and didn't keep her too long. I like the Elvira theme better but it got to be old quick. Id pick LOTR. Now if it was EATPM

#12 3 years ago
Quoted from visi0n:

...as is the coil freak out thing that follows.

Lotr does the same thing when you destroy the ring, probably took that from SS.

#13 3 years ago

I've had both. SS is long departed, LOTR is back for the third (and final time). SS is great for humour, but as others have mentioned, not deep in the rules department.

#14 3 years ago

Buy both, clean them up and sell the one you don't like after a month. No way you can possibly lose money if you're in it at the right price. Both are very in demand games.

Not a LOTR fan, The game was fun but I found myself avoiding it because of long ball times. I couldn't take the rings of men call out anymore either. Scared stiff is still here. However I agree with the others where it's better in a larger collection.

#15 3 years ago

Both are totally awsome, but totally different from each other in the depth department.

#16 3 years ago

I'm going to try to go by and get a better look at the Scared Stiff they have this weekend. They have it priced at $5k (off route), which I dunno maybe that's high or maybe it's good, I guess condition will dictate the action from there.

I thought about offering them something on both pins.. So I scoped out LOTR today at lunch (it is still on location somewhere).

Looks like my friend that scoped out the condition of the LOTR, left some things out. Like: the condition of the side art. A few scuffs I could deal with but dang those button areas are rough, I don't even think the new Stern rails would adequately cover that up and I'm assuming LOTR reproduction decals still aren't happening, right?

The PF is all there but she definitely has that route-y level of freshness to her.

I don't have an offer from the op that owns this yet but I'm guessing they will end up coming in high. What is fair for a routed LOTR like this? I'd like to give this pin a new life but that side art thing might end up being a showstopper anyway unless I can find a good artist to do their thing to it. Haven't seen anyone making repro decals for the side, did I miss it?

IMG_1923_(resized).JPG

IMG_1924_(resized).JPG
IMG_1922_(resized).JPG

#17 3 years ago

I have actually walked away and left balls in play on LOTR on location. One of the most boring games ive ever played, couldnt wait for it to end. Ive had SS about ten years. Yes its not that difficult but its fun in a bigger collection and beautiful to look at. All depends what kind of games you like.

#18 3 years ago

How long do you want it to take for you to beat it? 2 weeks or 2 years?

#19 3 years ago

If you don't buy the LOTR, let me know.

#20 3 years ago

Neither. I find them both boring. Flame suit on!

#21 3 years ago
Quoted from maffewl:

If you don't buy the LOTR, let me know.

I will! -- They are supposed to decide this week. I'm trying to help them move some of these games - I like this operator (a couple). Their prices aren't steals or anything but they are pretty easy going to deal with / not acting like they are sitting on government secrets.

#22 3 years ago

2 Lord of the Rings sold last year on pinside in my area for around $4,500 and both were in much nicer condition than the one you posted pics of . Seems like the one in your pics will need some work , looks like it doesn't have proper sling plastics , the mismatched flipper bats leads me to believe that it was kept going for as cheap as possible and maybe not maintained as well as it should have been . I would not pay much for this machine . If the scared stiff is in this condition as well then it is way over priced at $5,000 .

#23 3 years ago
Quoted from trilogybeer:

2 Lord of the Rings sold last year on pinside in my area for around $4,500 and both were in much nicer condition than the one you posted pics of . Seems like the one in your pics will need some work , looks like it doesn't have proper sling plastics , the mismatched flipper bats leads me to believe that it was kept going for as cheap as possible and maybe not maintained as well as it should have been . I would not pay much for this machine . If the scared stiff is in this condition as well then it is way over priced at $5,000 .

I appreciate this feedback..

Yep, these were just routed money makers -- no love. If the SS is in this condition, I may just pass altogether unless it's just a stellar deal with room for me to do the work to get them in proper shape. (I really don't like to haggle on this stuff.. I usually just pay or walk away.) I'm just assuming the boards have hacks galore based on some other things I've seen. I think they have a good technician but I think he's in the position to just bandaid everything and send it back out. This LOTR did play, though. I put a couple dollars in, no (functional) issues except for a slightly weak VUK.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
6,150 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 40.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 96.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
£ 49.00
Playfield - Other
PinballToys
$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Bright Lights Pinball
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
7,000 (OBO)
Sale Pending!
Huntington Beach, CA
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 50.00
€ 95.00
Lighting - Led
FlipperLED
$ 8.50
Lighting - Led
Bright Lights Pinball
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CzTV Mods
$ 25.00
$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 25.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 999.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields
6,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Monclova, OH
Apparel - Unisex
ArcadeMade
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside