Topic poll

“Which would you get, all other factors equal”

• LOTR 21 votes
    51%
  • GOTLE 20 votes
    49%

(41 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image_(resized).jpeg
20160210_154920_(resized).jpg

#1 3 years ago

Sorry I know I've had a few of these lately, I've been trying to swap some games out in the gameroom. I'm at the corner of Game of Thrones LE and LOTR. Which way would you go?

The LOTR is lightly routed but about the condition of many HUO's.
I'm not really worried about the price difference, after shopping out and modding the LOTR the $difference will be negligible.

I like (but not love) both themes and I've enjoyed playing both games, even though they are different style games. So, which do you think would hold up in a home / gameroom setting longer?

My other games, if it helps -and to save you a click - are: Williams IJ, Stern IJ, STTNG, Stern Star Trek Premium, POTC, WOZ and I will have a Hobbit and Ghostbusters coming. STTNG will go to a new home, soon.

#2 3 years ago

I have both.... GOT LE is a great pin. Super fast, exciting, deep rule set. However, nothing compares with the utter awesomeness of lotr. Never to leave our collection.

#3 3 years ago

I can't really answer which will be better for you. For me, I have owned LOTR and enjoyed it for a few months. I did grow tired of it, sold it and have not missed it at all. There is something about flow disruption and overuse of the POTD that kills that game for me at this point. On the other hand I have only ever played GOT a few times and I love Steve Ritchie, so the choice for me would be easy. I would go with GOT by default.

#4 3 years ago

Right now, I'd definitely go with GOT LE. It's current, new, exciting and fun. Does it have staying power? Only time will tell. There will always be LOTRs out there to buy later. You might even be able to get a remake at some point.

#5 3 years ago

I have both; LOTR is next on my chopping block.

#6 3 years ago

Go for Got Premium or Le. Great Steve Ritchie game.

#7 3 years ago

I had LOTR for awhile and it started becoming a burden to play.

If I heard, "You have my ax", one more time, I was going to just puke.

Or when you try to destroy the ring ...."help...help me"....just STFU, Im trying you ungrateful bastard.

I understand why people like it but you have to pack a sandwich because you may be there for awhile.

When non-pinball people came over, it was always 4th on the list to be played - which was bad considering I only have 4 pins.

#8 3 years ago

If you've never owned a LOTR before I'd go that route. Much cheaper and at the end of the day the better pin IMO.

#9 3 years ago

Difficult question. They play very differently. Do you like long balls? Or do you prefer the "WTF just happened there - I need to play again" feeling. I think both have staying power - just for different reasons.

I'd vote LOTR if it was my decision. As much fun as GOT LE is, I cannot get over the playfield. Absolutely epic miss to do something very cool. I think it's forever going to be a "play it at other people's houses" game for me.

#10 3 years ago

As usual, I vote for both.

20160210_154920_(resized).jpg

#11 3 years ago

I have both, and neither is going anywhere. Totally different games, but you can't go wrong with either. I'm still in the honeymoon phase with GOTLE after a month and barely play anything else. If you have kids (teenagers), they seem to prefer the mode base play of GOT and the ability to make house high scores.

#12 3 years ago
Quoted from jchiu:

I had LOTR for awhile and it started becoming a burden to play.
If I heard, "You have my ax", one more time, I was going to just puke.
Or when you try to destroy the ring ...."help...help me"....just STFU, Im trying you ungrateful bastard.
I understand why people like it but you have to pack a sandwich because you may be there for awhile.
When non-pinball people came over, it was always 4th on the list to be played - which was bad considering I only have 4 pins.

I almost had to down vote you for this post my friend!

#13 3 years ago
Quoted from jchiu:

Ha ha - so true. I always pee before I start because you never know how long you're going to be standing there.

#14 3 years ago

Coin door ball saver is on all my pins. Don't use it to cheat. Use it to pause my game when's kid or the wife needs me.

My son got to destroy the ring the other night and was going for the first ring shot when he drained. That was an exciting time for me as a dad. LOTR for me isn't always a really long game but it can be and would be if u was a better player. My IJ is probably leaving tomorrow and I'm strongly considering a GOTLE.

Good luck on your decision.

Here is a real question. Sounds like the le and premiums have a significant number of issues out of the box. I'm personally hesitant to get one until stern either fixes it or I pick up a HUO which has already been tweaked. Is that worth waiting for?

#15 3 years ago

Depends on what type of game you like and tbh how good of a player you are.

Can't beat lotr imo but got is fun af. Get both is the only answer lol

#16 3 years ago

neither , get GOT pro

#17 3 years ago

LOTR all day long. Absolutely "the complete package". A leading example of how to properly integrate the depth of a theme into an incredible gameplay experience.

#18 3 years ago

Played a LOTR and GoT Pro quite a few times and definitely prefer the LOTR. Haven't played a GOT prem/le, but doubt anything about playing one would change my opinion (based on the reviews/vids I've seen). Also, worth noting is I'm much more of a fan of the GoT books/show than anything Tolkien.

#19 3 years ago

Lotr is a much better game, but I could see after owning it for years wanting some 'new blood'

#20 3 years ago

The issues with the LE out of the box is blown way out of proportion, no one needs to wait for a fix. If the left orbit not making all the way through every time is a problem, I suggest a pro. No other issues that I know of that wasn't addressed with quick code updates.

#21 3 years ago

Thanks guys! This helps. On GOT - Yeah, i tend to take those early-release-issues with a grain of salt. I don't mind having to tweak / workaround or even wait for code updates for some things. (within reason) On LOTR -> I like the visual of having to take an intermission w/ long ball times. I think right now IJ is my longest playing game, I tend to have 45 minute games on it and I can see the mindset where when trying to decide which game to play, you might think "LOTR? eehhh, I don't have an hour, so I'll go play >> whatever<< instead."

I'd like to (and plan to) own both, eventually - The only sense of urgency I feel towards GOT is that I waited a little too long in buying my ST and ended up w/ a premium instead of an LE. (Preferred the LE backglass but can't get it, now.)

Hopefully in the next day or two I can get a little more time w/ his LOTR (i had a cursory glance awhile back) to get a more thorough indication of its condition, that could aide the decision process. Thanks again for your help and comments regarding the two games. Good problems to have, I suppose.

#22 3 years ago

I owned a LOTR for eight years.....it's gone now and it won't be back. Why, you ask?

#1) Ball times / games can get WAY too long! My father and brother absolutely refused to play LOTR with me. They could go make a sandwich and watch an episode of Seinfeld before their turn would come up. I seriously had games hitting two hours. Oh.....and never did see Valinor.

1b) It's an absolutely horrible multiplayer pin. I'll admit that 90% of the time I'm playing by myself......but when company does come over I want everyone to have a great time and I'd like to be in the mix as well. Well that ruled out LOTR right from the get go.

1c) Even when playing on my own I don't want (or have) time for hour+ long games.....I stopped playing LOTR because I didn't want to commit to the possible time crunch.

Now were most games really long? No, they weren't, but it was always a threat.

Can't really comment on GOT LE but I absolutely LOVE my GOT Pro! Great rules, super intense gameplay......speed, lights, sound, call-outs, strategy.....it's all there!

3 weeks later
#23 3 years ago

Sold my LotrLE a while back, its back in my line up for a week so now to decide either to buy it again myself or let it go..

Before Got it would have been an easier choice, that game is really much more my thing..

Nice set though , brothers as they are, changing got to warm white is worth it

image_(resized).jpeg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 16.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 50.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Farmimgville, NY
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
ModFather Pinball Mods
Machine - For Sale
Rocklin, CA
$ 96.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Apparel - Unisex
ArcadeMade
$ 229.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballBulbs
$ 219.99
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Springfield, MO
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Sale Pending!
Templeton, CA

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside