LOTR Noob Questions

By beelzeboob

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

I have a few questions about LOTR since I'm a new owner. Yes, they'll probably seem stupid to longtime owners, but they're nagging at me. And I'll be bumping this thread as new stupid questions arise in my mind. Others can feel free to ask their stupid questions here as well. Feel free to bust my balls!

1. Does everybody's center ramp get dented tips after a while, or is it just mine? The ramp looks like someone jammed it point-first against the ground. Small dings on the tip, but still noticeable.

2. When the machine is in attract mode, the DMD says on one of the screens, "Effect 69" What does that mean and how can I get rid of it? (Or can I?)

3. How can you find out what version of game, display, and sound ROMs you're running? Is there someplace in the service menu to find that info?

Thanks for anybody's help!

#2 10 years ago

1. Yes, all ramps get the bet tips from use.

2. Don't know.

3. In adjustments (SPI), you have the option for fast or slow boot. If you choose the slow boot, the rom version will be shown on the display.

Steve (in Escalon, CA)

#3 10 years ago

1. No, if your game is leveled correctly and your spinner rests straight up and down when not in use, shots should be smooth, even during long games. I have original coils. Mine is from the 5th run and ring shots are no problem even during league nights or 45-50 min games.

2. Are you running 10.0 roms?

3. Right when you boot up, should say the rom revision or go into adjustments like Steve says. Or open up the head and look at the stickers on your rom chips. That will tell you in a hurry. If your running a really old rom set. You are going to need to update the firmware chip as well for the 10.0 roms.

#4 10 years ago

Thanks for the help, guys. My game is leveled correctly - set to 6.5 degrees and level from right to left. I'm currently running 9.0 and will be upgrading to 10.02 next week. (Just saw it on the sticker!) It's a bummer if I have to keep swapping ramps out...I get that pinball is at heart a violent game, but I do my best to keep my games as pristine as possible.

And now for my new stupid question: Is the distorted sound just because of the compression of the recordings being jammed onto the sound and voice chips? Or is it something that has been corrected in updated ROMs? Anything you can suggest to get better sound (flipper fidelity speakers, etc.)?

#5 10 years ago

It takes a lot of plays for the ramp tips to get damaged (heavily routed).

I've used both Flipper Fidelity and Pinball Pro speakers on LOTR and have had equally good result with both. I don't think anything will make the sound clear and perfect...

Steve (in Escalon, CA)

#6 10 years ago

distored sound is from 2 different sources. one is non updated firmware. Other is from degrading sound files on your sound chips from the florescent tube having UV light work it's way through paper stickers. Block the back of the tube or put electrical tape over the roms to stop that from happening.

#7 10 years ago

If I need to get new voice and sound ROMs, do I just get them from Stern, or does somebody else carry them?

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

If I need to get new voice and sound ROMs, do I just get them from Stern, or does somebody else carry them?

need to burn the roms to chips you can download them from Stern.

#9 10 years ago

1. Do you have the post upgrade kit installed?

2. Check custom messages. Clear them?

3. yep, power up, read, go into service menu, read the first screen

4. turn down your volume. also, check if your speakers are cracked. yes, there is some level of distoration in the sound clips.

#10 10 years ago

This was posted a yr ago:

Effect 69 occurs when you have an updated CPU rom but an older DISPLAY rom.

The CPU rom calls for a picture from the display rom and it's not there so that's the placeholder.

In this case "effect 69" refers to the Destroy The Ring Time (That can't display because the display rom needs to be updated)

#11 10 years ago

Thanks to everybody! I don't know if I have the post upgrade kit installed. How can I tell? And since I don't know how to burn a ROM I'd have to buy one. If anybody knows of a good place please post a link. I'll upgrade all other ROMs in the interim.

#12 10 years ago

Hobby Roms can do them for you. Pretty inexpensive and Stephen is a good guy.
http://www.hobbyroms.com/

#14 10 years ago

I'll second JWJ. I received my updated LOTR roms earlier this week.

Nice guy with great service.

Steve (in Escalon, CA)

2 weeks later
#15 10 years ago
Quoted from Steve_in_Escalon:

1. Yes, all ramps get the bet tips from use.
2. Don't know.
3. In adjustments (SPI), you have the option for fast or slow boot. If you choose the slow boot, the rom version will be shown on the display.
Steve (in Escalon, CA)

Hey Steve, thanks for the info you posted about how to tell which version of software my LOTR was running. I couldn't figure it out. I'm running 8.0 so I guess I need to update as well.
Question: I was on the Stern website and under the LOTR updates, it said there were 7 roms I needed. I called Marco Specialties and they gave me the 7 rom numbers and said I needed all 7. 4 were $15 each and the other 3 were $10 each for a total of $90. When I went to the link above (thatpinballplace.com) there is only the 2. What am I missing here?
Chris

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from chrisjens2:

Hey Steve, thanks for the info you posted about how to tell which version of software my LOTR was running. I couldn't figure it out. I'm running 8.0 so I guess I need to update as well.
Question: I was on the Stern website and under the LOTR updates, it said there were 7 roms I needed. I called Marco Specialties and they gave me the 7 rom numbers and said I needed all 7. 4 were $15 each and the other 3 were $10 each for a total of $90. When I went to the link above (thatpinballplace.com) there is only the 2. What am I missing here?
Chris

You should just need display and cpu

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from Joe_Blasi:

You should just need display and cpu

Ok, so the other ones are just sound roms?

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from chrisjens2:

Ok, so the other ones are just sound roms?

yes

2 weeks later
#19 10 years ago

$15 and $10 each? WTF. John Wart used to only charge $4 each.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 8.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

9,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Eau Claire, WI
$ 18.95
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

$ 39.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

10,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

€ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models

9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 18.95
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Denver, CO
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lotr-noob-questions and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.