(Topic ID: 147968)

LOTR: My ring broke. Has this happened to you?

By atariaction

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 32 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by atariaction
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

027_(resized).jpg
026_(resized).jpg
001_(resized).JPG

#1 4 years ago

Is this a ramp adjustment issue? Why would this happen? Has anyone else had this happen and what was your resolution?

Marco has then for sale here I found: http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/545-6096-00

Thanks, Mike

001_(resized).JPG

#2 4 years ago

I should add that the game only has about 1200 plays on it so it has not been abused (HUO).

#4 4 years ago

No issues with mine. Just replace it. Pinball, things break all the time

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

No issues with mine. Just replace it. Pinball, things break all the time

Well I agree with that but if I can adjust something I would. I would prefer not to have to replace it over and over again if I can help it

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from atariaction:

Well I agree with that but if I can adjust something I would. I would prefer not to have to replace it over and over again if I can help it

Was it entering the ring funny? Not sure how you could adjust that center ramp.

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

Was it entering the ring funny? Not sure how you could adjust that center ramp.

I never looked cause I didn't suspect anything till the ring fell into the game I cant test that out now till I get a replacement but I will certainly look.

#9 4 years ago

It could have been cracked at the factory by over tightening and over time just got worse

#10 4 years ago

I had 2 lotr and on both that piece cracked. I just replaced it.

#11 4 years ago

You think putting rubber grommets on the screws would help? Like the ones used on trough boards?

#12 4 years ago

I've had my machine for around 10 years and have had to replace the ring twice. If it ain't broke, it's not pinball.

#13 4 years ago

I noticed last week that mine was broken. I ordered 2 so I'd have a spare. I know now my spinner switch wasn't working right, so the magnet wasn't catching the ball - so possibly more hits to the plastic.

#14 4 years ago

Pretty common to break, it's the ring funnel, officially.
In the past, I have taken a post rubber and mounted broken funnels with them to hold it in.
It also lets it move a bit, as the rubber flexes some, that could work in your case.
Others I have seen have broken completely in half.

#15 4 years ago

I think swampfire's comment about the spinner is a big one. The ball hitting the spinner activates the magnet. If this switch goes out the ball is much more likely to slam into the sides and cause damage.

Also the magnet itself has a 4 amp fuse in the manual but should be a 5 amp fuse.

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

I think swampfire's comment about the spinner is a big one. The ball hitting the spinner activates the magnet. If this switch goes out the ball is much more likely to slam into the sides and cause damage.
Also the magnet itself has a 4 amp fuse in the manual but should be a 5 amp fuse.

Excellent. Spinner and fuse. I will be checking both!

Quoted from DNO:

Pretty common to break, it's the ring funnel, officially.
In the past, I have taken a post rubber and mounted broken funnels with them to hold it in.
It also lets it move a bit, as the rubber flexes some, that could work in your case.
Others I have seen have broken completely in half.

Like rubber grommets on trough boards. I may try that as well.

#17 4 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

I don't agree with over fusing this or anything at all. I do realize Stern put a tech note out about fuse fatigue, but I can tell you from personal experience that the drive transistor for the magnet always blows before the 4A fuse goes.

Side note: Mine has never broke, but I did adjust to positioning of the metal ramp to reduce the number of times the ball bounces off the ring without going through.

#18 4 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

but I can tell you from personal experience that the drive transistor for the magnet always blows before the 4A fuse goes.

Hmmm, I've seen the 4a fuse blow, and the x-ister has been fine

#19 4 years ago
Quoted from DNO:

I wish mine would just blow the fuse, that way I would only have to replace a fuse.

#20 4 years ago

Well, I talked to the board guy at Stern back then. He told me 5 amp fuse for the magnet and if any of the 20NE10L transistors go to replace with beefier IRL540. That goes for flashers Tx also. But with the magnet when the Tx goes it usually takes the fuse.

#21 4 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

Well, I talked to the board guy at Stern back then. He told me 5 amp fuse for the magnet and if any of the 20NE10L transistors go to replace with beefier IRL540.

We probably talked to the same guy but I asked why I would want to change the 4A fuse with a 5A when it doesn't even blow the 4A until after the transistor blows <cricket sounds>

I probably should use the better transistor but I still have a bin full of the others, besides, changing the game settings so it doesn't hold the ball during destroy the ring was a great workaround. We are probably getting off subject on this though.

#22 4 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

We probably talked to the same guy but I asked why I would want to change the 4A fuse with a 5A when it doesn't even blow the 4A until after the transistor blows <cricket sounds>

No, the 4 amp fuse goes very often without a transistor failure, just from magnet usage stress. When I got my first LOTR (Yes, I have 2) the magnet was dead from the start. Put a 5 amp fuse in (as told by Mark I think at Stern) and good for 10 years now. The transistor is original.

If the Tx does go I will upgrade with the IRL540 and be happy the fuse protected the rest of the circuit as it is designed to do.

Cricket sounds? Don't be insulting.

#23 4 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

No, the 4 amp fuse goes very often without a transistor failure

I don't doubt it, after all there was a tech note on it. I can only speak from my personal experience with this game after owning it for 12 years...it has never ever blown the 4A fuse unless the ring transistor was shorted.

I won't comment on your insult about me being new ... but I will ask you the same question, Why would I replace the 4A with a 5A when it only blows after the ring transistor goes?

#24 4 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

I don't doubt it, after all there was a tech note on it. I can only speak from my personal experience with this game after owning it for 12 years...it has never ever blown the 4A fuse unless the ring transistor was shorted.

No, you even replied to DNO above who said -

Quoted from DNO:

Then I told you the same experience.

I'm, sure you did have a transistor failure. And that will take out the fuse, no doubt. But I have heard of more fuse failures than anything when is comes to the magnet. I don't feel like pulling the RGP quotes but they are there.

All good. Just saying it does happen and is more common.

#25 4 years ago

I've also had that piece break on my LOTR.

No adjustment necessary. Just replace and enjoy.

#26 4 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

Side note: Mine has never broke, but I did adjust to positioning of the metal ramp to reduce the number of times the ball bounces off the ring without going through.

Ahh so the ramp can be adjusted! Excellent. I will look into this as well. Did you just adjust left to right? Or anything else?

#27 4 years ago
Quoted from atariaction:

Ahh so the ramp can be adjusted! Excellent. I will look into this as well. Did you just adjust left to right? Or anything else?

The ball is never going to go through the hole perfect every time because the ramp is wider and spaced away from the hole. Although mine has not broken yet, the funnel is a wear and tear item. On my game the gold on the ring started flaking off so I installed a new gold ring.

#28 4 years ago

Kind of a tangent - but has anyone ever painted the ring funnel black? I always thought that might look cool. You woodlnt see the red optos & it might look more "magical" when the ball is hovering between the ring.

#29 4 years ago

The funnel was cracked on my game when I first got it. It eventually became broken. Replaced it and now many years and probably over 1000 games later it is still fine.

As for DTR, I've opted for leaving it set on two ball. Works like it is intended to. However, if I ever get two balls stuck in the ring(rarely) I have to immediately reach down and turn the game off, otherwise it will blow the fuse.

#30 4 years ago
Quoted from atariaction:

Did you just adjust left to right? Or anything else?

I believe there is only a little left-right play in the ramp positioning, the speed of the ball is going to effect if it hits high or low. What I did was I cut off a short piece of a 1" wooden dowel to help align the ramp to the hole. But honestly, there is only so much you can do, this is of course a steel ball hitting a plastic ring.

#31 4 years ago

And if you have the upgrade flipper coils you might be hitting it a bit harder.

#32 4 years ago

For now I glued pieces back together with 2 part epoxy. Then drilled some new holes. Works for now.

026_(resized).jpg

027_(resized).jpg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 154.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Id Rather Play Pinball
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 8.50
Lighting - Led
Pinball Haus
$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus
$ 29.95
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Plymouth, MN
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Arlington, VA
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Killeen, TX
$ 11.95
$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Savannah, GA
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pin Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside