You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

005.JPG
004.JPG
002.JPG
#1 14 years ago

Hey guys. I've had my new LOTR for 5 days now and it has been great. I have encountered a small problem with the machine though. I've noticed that every time when you start "the fellowship of the ring" multiball mode by collecting the balls on Aragorn's sword (the big sword on the right side of the machine), the balls do not immediately release when the mode starts. The balls just sit there for about 15 seconds and then the machine goes into a ball search by activating all the mechanisims where a ball might be stuck. After doing this, the release gate lowers (because of the ball search) and the balls do release and go back into play and the machine plays fine. I was thinking it might be an error in the game's code but it would be hard to believe this because that would mean that all the LOTRs would have this same problem. I'm sure the machine has the latest and final code as well. Has anyone else come across this problem?

#2 14 years ago

Sounds to me like a bad switch. Probably one of the three switches on Aragorns Sword, the ones right before the white lock post.

It could also have to do with the switch that 'feels' balls enter the sword ramp from the Gollem saucer.

But my money would be on one of the three lock switches. These are notorious for failing - they're very picky. Test them (in switch test mode) with your finger and if that works also test them with balls, see if they "feel" the balls.

I have similar problems with these switches in my TSPP couch lock.

Good luck fixing this annoying problem.

#3 14 years ago

Thanks Robin. Its hard to believe that a switch on a brand new machine could have gone bad so quickly. I have to work out of town the next few days, so I unfortunately will not even get to look at the machine for another 2 or 3 days. I hope its a simple switch fix. Last night I gently pressed each one of the those 3 lock switches along with the one that goes up the ramp. Each one made a clicking sound like they worked. The one going up the ramp does register by finger and ball contact. I was not sure about how to test the 3 three lock switches or how they work. I pressed each one of them and nothing happened. No points registered or anything happened. I'll take a closer look when I back. So your pretty sure that its not a software issue ?

#4 14 years ago

As BrokeDad told you before ''cats are already plotting against YOU''...

#5 14 years ago

Hey Chris, have you tried calling the shop where you purchased the machine? They should provide tech service over the phone and fix anything that was damaged in transit. At least my shop does.

#6 14 years ago

I think Robin is right .. you have a bad switch and it's what we call at work BOOB !! (Bad Out Of Box) The machine has to have the latest firmware being so new so it can't be a eprom version issue.

They need to send out a tech and fix it for free. I can't believe there isn't at least a 30 day warranty on a new machine. Contact Stern if you have to on their website and I'll bet they arrange a free service call. They should have set it up, balanced it, and tested it upon delivery if you bought it locally and not just over the web. And all those cats are still plotting more EEEEEvil things !!!

#7 14 years ago

Thanks guys for all the suggestions and advice. I was away at work for the last few days and have not had a chance to look at the machine again since my original post. I live in central NY. I bought the game from PinballsSales (Jack G.) in NJ. Jack includes a 3 year warranty on all his new machines excluding bulbs and rubbers which makes sense so I'm sure these micro-switches will be covered under the warranty. From a brief inspection, it looks like part of the sword assembly will have to removed in order to get at the mirco-switches, then its finding which one is bad, removing it and re-soldering the diode back to the new switch. I'm assuming this is what will need to be done. I do not think Stern nor Jack will send a tech out to my home. Its a nice thought though. If anyone has some suggestions as to making the repair, I would greatly appreciate it. Attached are some photos of what several people have suggested what the problem might be. I'm hoping that just those 2 screws will need to be removed and then the assembly holding the 3 switches will simply lift out. Thanks again. By the way, I think your right about the cats plotting against me.

002.JPG002.JPG 004.JPG004.JPG 005.JPG005.JPG

#8 14 years ago

Well the problem is solved. It turned out that the 2nd micro-switch shown in the above photos was not closing when the ball was running over it. I ended up bending the silver arm on the switch slightly upwards and that took care of the problem. Works 100% now. Thanks everyone for the advice and help. Hopefully the LEDs will arrive tomorrow. Well its back to destroying the one ring !

#9 14 years ago

Mine was having the same problem. This site rocks. Wonder why the 2nd switch is always out of adjustment?

#10 14 years ago

Hey Seal sorry you had the same problem. I've played quite a few games since the adjustment and I have not had one single problem. Just be careful when you bend the arm on the switch. My LEDs for this machine came about 20 min ago. The entire machine is being changed over today. I'll post some pics when I'm done. Happy New Year to all !

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 8.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
€ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

10,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 39.50
$ 18.95
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 79.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Pinball Life

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

9,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Eau Claire, WI
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lotr-mutliballs-not-releasing and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.