New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 77703)

LOTR mods

By Hdmike444

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 98 posts
  • 26 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Hdmike444
  • Topic is favorited by 19 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 29 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image-317.jpg
image-660.jpg
image-377.jpg
image-939.jpg
image-20.jpg
image-231.jpg
100_0024.JPG
0426121958a.jpg
95136-i.jpg
image-732.jpg
image-250.jpg
image-708.jpg
image-819.jpg
image-584.jpg
image-424.jpg
image-722.jpg

There are 98 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 6 years ago

I got Jays palantir and installed it along with making a light up staff for gandalf the white on shadow fax. What a couple of great things to really make the game look great. The gandalf mod is a fellow pinsiders idea, I just recreated it. I am very happy with the new additions.

image-17.jpg image-710.jpg image-972.jpg image-337.jpg image-960.jpg
#2 6 years ago

The Gandalf is cool!

#3 6 years ago

Looks awesome Mike, well done!

i-JP5qZM2-XL.jpg

#4 6 years ago

Couldn't have done it without your help. Thanks

#5 6 years ago

I just added a brass wire to eliminate the ugly plastic to keep the ball on the left wire form. I saw a fellow pinsiders do something similar and figured I'd give it a try. Even though it was clear plastic that area feels much clearer.

image-657.jpg
#6 6 years ago

I have the brass wire form mod also.

#7 6 years ago

It might have been your post somewhere that gave me the idea. If so thanks

#8 6 years ago

I purchased mine from a pinside user.

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from Hdmike444:

I just added a brass wire to eliminate the ugly plastic to keep the ball on the left wire form. I saw a fellow pinsiders do something similar and figured I'd give it a try. Even though it was clear plastic that area feels much clearer.

image-657.jpg 214 KB

where can I buy this?

#11 6 years ago

Anyone want to sell me a shadowfax Gandalf?

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from Nevus:

Anyone want to sell me a shadowfax Gandalf?

Check eBay, I got mine there for $20

#13 6 years ago

Thanks for showing this, this is where I saw it originally and may make another to protect the plastic as well.

#14 6 years ago

Oops. You weren't trying to sell these were you? I didn't mean to put up competition.

Thanks for the shadowfax tip.

#15 6 years ago

No I was not trying to sell these, I would have bought one but couldn't find the thread. It was actually real easy to make it and a friend want me to make him one now.

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from Nevus:

Thanks for the shadowfax tip.

There's one on eBay for $29 but last week there were two for under $20

#17 6 years ago

I don't know how to do the led and the wiring. I usually prefer to buy it already done.

#18 6 years ago

Here is a link to the led I used
http://www.modeltrainsoftware.com/smd-chip-leds.html
This was the link that fellow pinsider deathhimself gave me and it worked great. This was actually his idea that I made on my own.

#19 6 years ago
Quoted from Hdmike444:

Nice job on this mod. It is cool to see others variations of this rail. This is what makes Pinside great.

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from ryan1234:

Nice job on this mod. It is cool to see others variations of this rail. This is what makes Pinside great.

Thanks for the idea. I think people sharing designs and ideas and tips is great. I would never have thought of any of this stuff on my own.

#21 6 years ago

Here are some close ups of the staff for those who asked

image-436.jpg image-596.jpg image-974.jpg
1 week later
#22 6 years ago

Just added a balrog votive and lit it with red LEDs. I might get some orange and try those.

image-252.jpg
#23 6 years ago

I settled on a red and orange combo.
image-374.jpg

And not too bad on height I'd say
image-525.jpg

#24 6 years ago
Quoted from Hdmike444:

image-657.jpg 214 KB

You should take the two posts out too and just leave the four screws. It looks better this way.

#25 6 years ago
Quoted from judremy:

You should take the two posts out too and just leave the four screws. It looks better this way.

I have since the photo
Looks much claener

#26 6 years ago

image-722.jpg
I just added a shade to keep the light off the ceiling and focused more on the topper

image-424.jpg

#27 6 years ago

Anyone want to make a shadowfax gandalf and sell it to me?

#28 6 years ago

I'm in for a shadowfax gandalf mod as well if anyone wants to sell one.

#29 6 years ago

Here is an interactive game play backglass done with simple leds purchased from eBay, wired to the Ring & Mordor's tower flashers.

1 week later
#30 6 years ago
Quoted from DeathHimself:

Here is an interactive game play backglass done with simple leds purchased from eBay, wired to the Ring & Mordor's tower flashers.
ยป YouTube video

I like the back glass mod, was it difficult?

On a side note I am in the process of making a second gandalf on shadowfax with the light up staff if anybody is interested. I bought an extra led and gandalf and figured I'd make one for someone else. Not really sure how to price it though. I'll try and come up with a price and post a pic when it's done and ready to go.

#31 6 years ago
Quoted from Hdmike444:

I like the back glass mod, was it difficult?
On a side note I am in the process of making a second gandalf on shadowfax with the light up staff if anybody is interested. I bought an extra led and gandalf and figured I'd make one for someone else. Not really sure how to price it though. I'll try and come up with a price and post a pic when it's done and ready to go.

How much for just a lit staff? It doesn't even need to be the real staff.

#32 6 years ago
Quoted from judremy:

How much for just a lit staff? It doesn't even need to be the real staff.

Ya, I actually have Gandalf on Shadowfax on my game but he is missing his staff.

#33 6 years ago

I suppose one Gould be made out of a small dowel( toothpick maybe) It probably would look fine. I'll check it out.

#35 6 years ago
Quoted from Hdmike444:

Just added a balrog votive and lit it with red LEDs. I might get some orange and try those.

image-252.jpg 181 KB

With mine, it took me close to 10 hours, but I wired any orange super to each shoulder, and a high power (for all directions) in the head, so that he glows orange, which looks a little more accurate to his true colour to me. I had intended on red first, but then I had this idea, as part two was hooking a double super flashed (9 total leds, 12v) with a small flashing light reflector around it, which points out of his mouth. This is hooked to the PF balrog. He glows orange, but when the balrog goes off, it looks as though he is spitting fire, as the light out the mouth is intense, but it doesn't light the entire thing. I'm quite happy with it, it came out very nice.

I also used the same flashlight reflector and double stack flasher behind the eye in the backglass, hooked to the spinner flasher. When it's lit, it shines light only exactly for the eye and the glow of the eye on the BG, and doesn't light everything else, but because of the reflector, it really is super noticeable.

for the POTD, I used four characters (used one with a cape twice, removed the cape and with different poses and weapons, they look different), adhered them above the lane switches, and wired them to the corresponding lighting in the back POTD light board. Now, I just have to watch the figures when the balls up there, and I try (and make myself believe that I'm actually doing something haha) to nudge in a direction.

I'll try to post a vid of everything if anyone is interested and how they were done.

#36 6 years ago

I want to add the back box flasher behind the eye. Where did you hook to the spinner flasher?

1 week later
#37 6 years ago

Well I made up another gandalf on shadowfax with the lit up staff that I am going to sell. Looking to get $110 shipped in the US. If someone wants it pm me and it's yours.
I may be getting in another gandalf soon and if so will make up another one also.

image-732.jpgimage-584.jpgimage-819.jpgimage-250.jpgimage-708.jpg

#38 6 years ago

Looks great!

#39 6 years ago

Im interested in the Gandalf on Shadowfax, Let me know if youve still got him for sale.

Joe(acejedi)

#42 6 years ago

If anyone is interested.95136-i.jpg

#43 6 years ago

what type of LED is there? (Gandalf)

#44 6 years ago

It's a nano warm white from a model train store

#45 6 years ago

There's a link earlier in the post

#46 6 years ago

Thanks

#47 6 years ago

I am going to have one or two more of these Gandalf's done pretty soon I'll post pictures when done.

#48 6 years ago
Quoted from Hdmike444:

I am going to have one or two more of these Gandalf's done pretty soon I'll post pictures when done.

Any way to make JUST the staff? I have the figure and horse, just need a staff with an LED.

#49 6 years ago
Quoted from judremy:

Any way to make JUST the staff? I have the figure and horse, just need a staff with an LED.

ditto

#50 6 years ago

There is...but you have to buy the figure with the staff to get just the staff. That's what I did - and I'm doing it myself. I don't want to speak for Mike, but I'm sure he builds the cost of the entire figure and staff into his price - he'd have to buy the whole kit, too, I think.

EDIT: By the way, if anyone wants to buy just a Gandalf on Shadowfax figure without the staff, PM me. I'll cough it up cheap. And it looks pretty good with a white toothpick in Gandalf's hand!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 39.50
There are 98 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside