9 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Feature Adjustments - No 35.jpg

#1 9 years ago

Odd issue - exact opposite of existing magnet posts. Recently my LOTR's magnet seems to have picked up strength. In two-ball destroy the ring mode, it has become impossible to knock the first ball out. Even with a strong shot, the magnet will just catch and hold both balls.

My flippers are super strong and dialed in, no issues with strength. The only mod which could possibly affect is Pinball Refinery's ring flasher LED. I've looked at the exploded diagram and it doesn't seem like there's anything to adjust. Aside from taking it apart, cleaning, and rebuilding - any thoughts? I could change it to one-ball destroy the ring mode, but figured I'd ask in the interim.

Requisite "this was my last shot to get to Valinor" gripe (just got done 475m game).

#2 9 years ago

I would change the settings to 1 ball DTR. That way the ball isn't held. It lets it go and then you shoot through the ring again. Yes it's not as cool, but that's a known "issue" on most LOTRs. That magnet holds the ball and it's tough to knock it out with another ball. I changed my settings and have been very happy with it.

#3 9 years ago

Mine did that last week for the first time. Maybe I'll change that setting.

#4 9 years ago

Check the resistance of the magnet. Should be 2.9 ohms. If less, replace it. Likely have to pull the fuse to get a good reading.

#5 9 years ago

I just installed that ring flasher LED mod a couple of weeks ago, and clearance for the LED with a proper installation is extremely limited as is. Check the LED to verify that the mounting tape hasn't come loose and the flasher is not partially blocking the entrance to the rear ball return trough. It's unlikely to be the root cause of your problem, but possible, given its mounting location directly in the path of the ball return. Despite the limited clearance, I still love the mod, and I have no intentions of removing it. I just took special pains to clean the mounting surface with rubbing alcohol prior to installation to ensure proper adhesion because of the limited clearance.

I also agree with the recommendation to switch to the one-ball DTR setting. I did that months ago and never looked back, due to the maintenance concerns of blowing a fuse and possibly a transistor with a lengthy magnet activation. Every time I destroy the ring, it's still an exhilarating feeling, even with the one-ball setting.

1 month later
#6 9 years ago

A few notes here in case anyone stumbles upon this thread.

1) I dont think the LED flasher caused any clearance issues, but I relocated it outside of the trough and it looks basically the same.

2) The key issue seems to be the second DTR shot, regardless of it being in 1 or 2 ball mode, needs the switch sequence spinner->ring->trough. I do not think any other ring shot explicitly needs this sequence to register. My spinner switch was working but wasn't always triggered due to the spinner bending over time. I took it apart, bent back straight, and the issue appears resolved.

#7 9 years ago

I thought I could read a manual - but I can't find where the adjustment is made to change the DTR from 2 ball to 1 ball. Anyone point me to the right menu? Thanks

#8 9 years ago

Magnet is not strong ball is getting stuck,There's a switch in the outer hole that always needs adjusting very hard to get to its were the ball comes out when going through the magnet.Spinner switch is not the cause there's an opto right on the ring slightly to the right

2 weeks later
#9 8 years ago
Quoted from Jenk540i:

I thought I could read a manual - but I can't find where the adjustment is made to change the DTR from 2 ball to 1 ball. Anyone point me to the right menu? Thanks

Feature Adjustment No. 35 - "Destroy Ring # Balls". CPU v8.00 or higher. Per the software changelog for v8.00...

- Added Feature Adjustment 35 "DESTROY RING # BALLS". Can be set to 1 or 2 (** default is 1 **). Setting this to 2 will allow the ring to hold a ball and let the player try to knock it out with the 2nd ball. Setting this to 1 will cause the magnet to just hold the ball for a second then let it go, requiring the player to make a clean shot through the ring to win the mode.

Section 3, Chapter 4, Page 46 of the Lord of the Rings Manual...

Feature Adjustments - No 35.jpgFeature Adjustments - No 35.jpg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods
Backbox
$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Little River, SC
9,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Eau Claire, WI
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy
Protection
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
$ 8.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
$ 12.95
$ 39.50
Playfield - Plastics
RGP Models
Plastics
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
Displays
Retrocity
Displays
10,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
$ 8.50
Lighting - Led
Pinball Haus
Led
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Led
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz
Other
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lotr-magnet-too-strong and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.