• 23 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by CaptainNeo
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

Hey everyone,

Today, my roommate was playing a game of LOTR when the ball dropped out of the magnet, and then he could no longer complete Destroy the ring.

I opened it up to find that the magnet did not work at all. So I replaced F20. Nothing.

What should I check next? Is my magnet shot? How do I confirm or verify this?

#2 10 years ago

Ohm out the magnet. If that's fine check the driving transistor. But I think they fail hot so it will stay locked on. Did your fuse a second time?

#3 10 years ago

So if you replaced the fuse with what is listed in the manual that may be the problem. The manual has the wrong value. I don't remember exactly but I think that manual has a 3AMP or 4AMP listed when a 5AMP is required.

#4 10 years ago

I replaced F20 with a 5A

#5 10 years ago

Mine blew the transistor replaced with beefier transistor and no problem since.

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from Hougie:

Same thing with me. Once I replaced the transistor all was fine and haven't had any ring issues for 6 years now.

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from Hougie:

Quoted from Buckman:

Same thing with me. Once I replaced the transistor all was fine and haven't had any ring issues for 6 years now.

What # transistor did you use to replace?

edit- my magnet is a little finicky, I also blew the fuse and put a 5amp in and its worked since then, but doesnt function the same every shot, doesnt always catch and throw the same, wonder if I change out the transistor if it would smooth it out a little?

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

Not at home right now so I can't check my LOTR file to see what I used, but I'm pretty sure it was this one:

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/STP20N10L

I remember reading a thread on RGP about how this transistor was a replacement for the STP20N10L at Q6.

#10 10 years ago

How did you determine the magnet was not working?
Are you testing using the test mode or by activating the spinner?
Could it be the spinner switch? That switch can get hit.

#11 10 years ago

Yup, the IRL540. I suggest buying 3-4, as there's a good probability that the flipper transistors will also blow someday. For example, it can happen just by holding up a flipper for a while, like during multiball or when explaining rules to a friend. Happened to both flippers on my LOTR LE (made just over 3 years ago) within the first 6-8 months.

I don't know if Stern has upgraded this component, but if not they definitely should!

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

edit- my magnet is a little finicky, I also blew the fuse and put a 5amp in and its worked since then, but doesnt function the same every shot, doesnt always catch and throw the same, wonder if I change out the transistor if it would smooth it out a little?

it's not suppose to throw the same. Depending on what is going on in the game, it will throw it out the front or around the back. that's how it's suppose to work. Even if it wasn't, it would have nothing to do with the transistor. Transistor either works or it doesn't. THe CPU tells it when to let go and when to grab.

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

it's not suppose to throw the same. Depending on what is going on in the game, it will throw it out the front or around the back. that's how it's suppose to work. Even if it wasn't, it would have nothing to do with the transistor. Transistor either works or it doesn't. THe CPU tells it when to let go and when to grab.

Interesting, quite an odd way to have in function, I like it when it shoots around and feeds the right flipper, Ill have to tweak the code

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

Interesting, quite an odd way to have in function, I like it when it shoots around and feeds the right flipper, Ill have to tweak the code

No, it's part of the game rules and makes sense. If you start a ring mode, etc., the ball gets thrown back and around the right ramp to the flipper. If you make the ring shot with no mode activated, it just drops the ball in front, at the top of the pf (where it may go to the Orthanc vuk or the top rollovers).

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

If you make the ring shot with no mode activated, it just drops the ball in front, at the top of the pf (where it may go to the Orthanc vuk or the top rollovers).

See, now Ive started modes where it was holding the ball, then dropped it out the front like a fumble, thats a bit off right?

#16 10 years ago

no, depends on what mode your in. Different modes react differently. your game is working fine.

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

no, depends on what mode your in. Different modes react differently. your game is working fine.

Gotcha, Ive never played anyone elses LOTR so didnt know if it was all normal or not.

#18 10 years ago

Mine does the same thing, centerflank. I've only seen a couple LOTRs other than mine, but they all do it. Working as intended!

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Correct. I misstated it. sry

#20 10 years ago

Common issue on this game. Buy and install the upgraded transistor.

#21 10 years ago

Cory, I thought you were coming over to play Oribitor 1 anyway? You can play my LOTR if you want to compare.

#22 10 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Cory, I thought you were coming over to play Oribitor 1 anyway? You can play my LOTR if you want to compare.

I actually got to play one at Bangers. Im off friday though, Ill pop over if you are free. Id really like to play some ac/dc!!!! Even though TRON is better

#23 10 years ago

yea, i'll be here. I'll PM my info again in case you don't have it anymore.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

€ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

9,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

9,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Baton Rouge, LA
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 8.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 79.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Pinball Life

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lotr-magnet and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.