Linked Games

Topic poll

“LOTR limited vs GB premium”

• LOTR limited 50 votes
    81%
  • GB premium 12 votes
    19%

(62 votes)

There are 52 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 1 year ago

I’ve only had my LOTR for 6 months and I feel I haven’t seen it all. GB premium available where I have to pay a bit more. Would you swap or not ?

I’m not a collector just after a fun pin.

#2 1 year ago

If you don't want to play it, swap it.
Why keeping it?

#3 1 year ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

and I feel I haven’t seen it all.

I'm sure you have played all 6 modes and the 3 main multiballs many times and likely destroyed the ring a few times and played There and Back Again a few times correct? Then you have seen most it. Reaching the final wizard mode (Valinor) requires beating the 3 main MBs, etc and is never reached by most so don't feel bad.

I would make the trade.

#4 1 year ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

I'm sure you have played all 6 modes and the 3 main multiballs many times and likely destroyed the ring a few times and played There and Back Again a few times correct? Then you have seen most it. Reaching the final wizard mode (Valinor) requires beating the 3 main MBs, etc and is never reached by most so don't feel bad.
I would make the trade.

I’ve done all 6 modes and got to destroy the ring but haven’t completed it - choked. Pretty embarrassing. Only had it a few months. Maybe I should keep a bit longer. Just don’t know how good gb is. Also some WW available. Just a bit torn. Would hate to get GB and then find that LOTR was a better keeper.

#5 1 year ago

I guess I’ve seen most of the elements of LOTR. What I’m asking is, in today’s terms with latest code, what’s a better shooter and has better modes, LOTR or GB? Is GB great or just rare?

#6 1 year ago

Even wonka would be interested in… maybe…

#7 1 year ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

I guess I’ve seen most of the elements of LOTR. What I’m asking is, in today’s terms with latest code, what’s a better shooter and has better modes, LOTR or GB? Is GB great or just rare?

LOTR is one of the all time classics that’s in a completely different league than GB.

GB is an average, cheap drain shooter with aggravating code. Beautiful but very expensive and unsatisfying. IMO.

#8 1 year ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

I would make the trade.

You are missing a good amount. There’s also beating those 6 modes and then going after the Gift from the Elves awards for completing each mode. One or two of those are a mode I think. Those multiballs also have multiple stages and are really unique. Playing through them to completion is far different then just starting them. Getting to the point in Two Towers Multiball where you hear “Super Jackpot!” is awesome and a bit funny.

For the OP. I owned both, LOTR twice. I would keep LOTR. GB has two more base modes but there’s no award system for completing them. The multiballs in GB are mostly about scoring jackpots versus containing story elements. With that being said if you feel tired of LOTR go with Ghostbusters, it’s still a fun deep story based game. Just be warned that the outlanes and center will result in some of the cheapest drains you’ve ever seen.

#9 1 year ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

You are missing a good amount. There’s also beating those 6 modes and then going after the Gift from the Elves awards for completing each mode. One or two of those are a mode I think. Those multiballs also have multiple stages and are really unique. Playing through them to completion is far different then just starting them. Getting to the point in Two Towers Multiball where you hear “Super Jackpot!” is awesome and a bit funny.
For the OP. I owned both, LOTR twice. I would keep LOTR. GB has two more base modes but there’s no award system for completing them. The multiballs in GB are mostly about scoring jackpots versus containing story elements. With that being said if you feel tired of LOTR go with Ghostbusters, it’s still a fun deep story based game. Just be warned that the outlanes and center will result in some of the cheapest drains you’ve ever seen.

Thanks, I have got through one of the multiballs, and grabbed most of the gifts including ring multiball. I am enjoying it, just wondering if GB is special. Hard to try, pretty rare in Oz. Also as I said intrigued by Wonka. Thanks.

#10 1 year ago

LOTR is one of the best games of all time and GB is one of the worst. Easy choice

#11 1 year ago

Ok…. Seems to be a common response coming through. I do enjoy my LOTR. BUT if I had to choose between my TWD and LOTR I would choose my Walking Dead. But maybe GB is not a walking dead.

I will let GB go. Thanks everyone. Although there is still that Wonka….. wanted to try one.

#12 1 year ago
Quoted from luckymoey:

LOTR is one of the all time classics that’s in a completely different league than GB.
GB is an average, cheap drain shooter with aggravating code. Beautiful but very expensive and unsatisfying. IMO.

Perfect summary of GB. People say it's improved with latest code and plays half decent if you spend the time addressing all the pf faults. I'm still not convinced. Definitely not better than LOTR plus cash.

#13 1 year ago

Wonka is an OK game at best. LOTR is the best of the three. I owned LOTR for less than a year. Can't say i miss it. Yeah it's deep,but it all felt samey to me, plus long ball times (it probablyfelt samey because of long ball times). Never been a fan of GB and Wonka is lacking just about everywhere imo.

#14 1 year ago

I have both and LOTR everyday and twice on Sunday.

I would move GB in a second but I have the topper and the cost is so crazy I feel I would regret it and I am pretty lazy.

Game playwise no question.

#15 1 year ago

Yes, the outlanes suck on GB ! I put Carrot flippers to help with the gap, but it's still I believe 1/8" wider than other games. It's a fun game with some great callouts. LOTR is great too, but I like Comedy, so My hat goes to GB

#16 1 year ago

GB

#17 1 year ago

LOTR all day. GB frustrating as hell but that’s just me. Beautiful game in deed but never played again on location with the latest code update. I own LOTR since new so probably more bias anyhow.

#18 1 year ago

LOTR is the better game at home. GB premium is the better game for location or for "showing off" to friends. LOTR is a longer player. Your first goal should be to destroy the ring. Once you do this see if you can get to, "there and back again" by completing all the modes. If you want to see something new on your machine try out "cinematic mode". Here is a quick video on how to enable it a made a few months ago.

I personally think that LOTR will be the more valuable game in 5 years and command the prices Tron does today. I'd hold onto that LOTR and not consider moving it until there was something you really wanted that you could shake loose with a trade offer. I traded mine towards an Elvira before the market became flooded with them.

#19 1 year ago

I'm still trying to figure out symmetrical book stacking and who brought the dog.

I can still hear the wind from the bat just missing the ball from 2016 still to this day.

#20 1 year ago

Thanks everyone. Funny thing I’m not getting long ball times. Mine is fast and brutal. The playfield is pristine the flippers strong and snappy. After I waxed it, super quick. Get plenty of drains especially of palantir. Comes screaming back. Gandalf orbit super quick. I can score higher on twd than this and game times can be similar. I’m not getting 45 minute games like my TSPP which to me is truly a long player.

I’m starting to strategise my play now to use palantir to extend every mode. And relight it. Relight my modes and so on.

I have completed all modes except kill the witch king, the pressure of hitting the right ramp after left just un does me!!

The modes are great, using the tower for the ents and gandalfs battle is awesome.

For the fellowship of the ring I can only get 2 across the bridge, I’m struggling to keep the balls under control. They won’t trap and cradle long enough like my afm.

My outlanes are wide open but I will probably keep that way.

Only dislikes I guess are POTD and the damn snort in hobbit town. My wife also doesn’t like it so I’m playing by myself.

Anyway just wanted to share that it’s not a long player for me. Also have a mate that easily scored 20 billion on my AFM on his third game. He also was not getting long games on my LOTR.

Thanks everyone. Will keep it for a while longer. You put me off the GB swap and many of the drear reviews of wonka seem to have the notation “owned in the past” underneath. They also come up for sale with hardly played quite a bit with modest prices attached. After not being able to sell my alien(which actually turned out to be a good thing) I’m wary of unsellable pins.

#21 1 year ago

You couldn't pick 2 more different games! I've had both, and long story short, I greatly preferred GB.

First off, no doubt LotR is a fantastic game and deservedly is one of the all time greats. But I found the longer I owned it, the more time I needed to play it and each game would become a bit of a slog. I absolutely love Ghostbusters as a theme it's one of my all time favourite movies and the pin itself is themed incredibly well. It's absolutely beautiful and yep, it's difficult as hell - but to me that's a good thing for a pin at home.

I ended up keeping GB for 4 years, which I think is the longest I've had any game for, and actually now I'm thinking Id like to get another one. It's one of those games for me where when you have a massive game on it, it's totally exhilarating. Although those games are few and far between - that meant it never really got boring. It can be a butt kicker and some days I wanted to tip it over, but I would actually take it over LotR any day of the week.

GB is certainly a love or hate it game though. As for Wonka, never owned it but I've played it and it was a lovely game, albeit a tad underwhelming, I don't think id take one over GB.

#22 1 year ago

It's always hard to judge games for other people. I know which I would choose. LOTR, hands down, even though I've owned it twice already. One of the greatest games ever made. The only reason I don't still own it is that I don't have unlimited space, and I've played it many thousands of times over the years. LOTR has something special. It's more than just a collection of modes and multiballs. It is absolutely about the quest, not about the score in that game.

I've always considered GB to be a bit of a dud. It had the theme going for it, but I felt the play just missed a bit. It doesn't hold up for me. I actually played it again a couple weeks ago, and my opinion has not really changed. I've played all 3 versions, more on the premium than the others.

So for this question, keep the LOTR if you still enjoy playing it.

#23 1 year ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

Ok…. Seems to be a common response coming through. I do enjoy my LOTR. BUT if I had to choose between my TWD and LOTR I would choose my Walking Dead. But maybe GB is not a walking dead.
I will let GB go. Thanks everyone. Although there is still that Wonka….. wanted to try one.

In defense of Wonka, it’s a great game and has plenty for pinheads as well as more casual players. My guests gravitate to it and always have a lot of fun with it. Great unique modes, good theme integration, and wonderful stacking multi balls. Reminds me a lot of TSPP in that way. Try one out if you can find it.

#24 1 year ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

Thanks everyone. Funny thing I’m not getting long ball times. Mine is fast and brutal. The playfield is pristine the flippers strong and snappy. After I waxed it, super quick. Get plenty of drains especially of palantir. Comes screaming back. Gandalf orbit super quick. I can score higher on twd than this and game times can be similar. I’m not getting 45 minute games like my TSPP which to me is truly a long player.
I’m starting to strategise my play now to use palantir to extend every mode. And relight it. Relight my modes and so on.
I have completed all modes except kill the witch king, the pressure of hitting the right ramp after left just un does me!!
The modes are great, using the tower for the ents and gandalfs battle is awesome.
For the fellowship of the ring I can only get 2 across the bridge, I’m struggling to keep the balls under control. They won’t trap and cradle long enough like my afm.
My outlanes are wide open but I will probably keep that way.
Only dislikes I guess are POTD and the damn snort in hobbit town. My wife also doesn’t like it so I’m playing by myself.
Anyway just wanted to share that it’s not a long player for me. Also have a mate that easily scored 20 billion on my AFM on his third game. He also was not getting long games on my LOTR.
Thanks everyone. Will keep it for a while longer. You put me off the GB swap and many of the drear reviews of wonka seem to have the notation “owned in the past” underneath. They also come up for sale with hardly played quite a bit with modest prices attached. After not being able to sell my alien(which actually turned out to be a good thing) I’m wary of unsellable pins.

If you're not getting long ball times on LOTR (I don't care how its set up) you might as well not even hit the start button on GB lol

#25 1 year ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

If you're not getting long ball times on LOTR (I don't care how its set up) you might as well not even hit the start button on GB lol

As I said I can get longer games on TWD. can’t explain it.

#26 1 year ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

As I said I can get longer games on TWD. can’t explain it.

Check your outlane posts. The previous owner may have moved them or even removed them and you've just never seen one set up normally.

#27 1 year ago

LOTR = One of the best games ever made.

Goatf***ers = Really can’t even be categorized as a game. It’s a poorly designed box of non-fun that tricks people with a great theme & art. If you had some “They Live” sunglasses & put them on, you’d see it wasn’t even really a pinball machine, but a literal dumpster fire.

#28 1 year ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

I’ve done all 6 modes and got to destroy the ring but haven’t completed it - choked. Pretty embarrassing. Only had it a few months. Maybe I should keep a bit longer. Just don’t know how good gb is. Also some WW available. Just a bit torn. Would hate to get GB and then find that LOTR was a better keeper.

You are perfectly fine to not like LOTR or get tired of it, but you haven't really done much in the game. Owned it multiple times, only saw valinor by taking the glass off and cheating. I always end up selling it because to get anywhere you have to have a lot of time for one game.

Personally I love the art of GB and the toys on the prem/le, but it always felt clunky. Would I trade? Not in a million years.

#29 1 year ago

Have both like both. Tough call. It depends which day you would ask me.

#30 1 year ago

So while I was looking at wonka and gb, a bm66 came up. Just bought that. Family happy with that theme. It appears the depth is there with this one too. Can’t beat Lyman! I know it has a bit of clunk, but that’s ok.

Thanks everyone for your help. I will miss LOTR, but sure BM66 will be enjoyed. Glad I got to experience LOTR without losing money on it.

#31 1 year ago

So with my LOTR going Wednesday the buyer gave me permission to try to get to TABA. Put it on 5 ball and finished destroy the ring and got part of the way through TABA. lots of fun! Anyway was great to have this for a few months. Looking forward to bm66. Can always get a LOTR back again someday.

#32 1 year ago

LOTR by a wide margin.

I was so excited when GB was introduced, but I don’t find anything appealing about it.

#33 1 year ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

I’ve only had my LOTR for 6 months and I feel I haven’t seen it all. GB premium available where I have to pay a bit more. Would you swap or not ?
I’m not a collector just after a fun pin.

LOTR is one of the deepest games around, has the best theme integration ever and, IMO, is the best pinball machine of all time. I owned it for years before letting it go. You haven’t even destroyed the ring yet! Have you played all the “Gifts from the Elves” modes? Get to Valinor man! Trigger some score based extra balls and see the end!

GB can’t touch it in any category but art. It’s laughable to me that you’d have to add cash (assuming both games are in great shape), but our hobby gets it wrong a lot. GB theme integration is also outstanding, but it’s clunky and game play/rules are kind of all over the place. I guess as long as you don’t regret parting with LOTR you’re pretty safe on resale value with GB.

EDIT: BM66 is fun and deep and better than GB, but not nearly as good as LOTR.

#34 1 year ago

I think you did well to get the BM66, good choice. I simply can't imagine having longer ball times on average on TWD than LOTR. That makes no sense to me at all. I've owned both TWD and LOTR and 45+ minute games on LOTR were the norm. That was the "easiest" hard game I've ever owned, didn't last 6 months for me... never saw Valinor but got close enough I know I didn't need to.

#35 1 year ago

I had an LOtR, and after awhile wondered what all the fuss was about. I had destroyed the ring, played the modes and beat a few to get some gifts. Was about to sell it then (fortunately) decided to watch a few YouTube videos to figure out what I might be missing. Turns out that I didn’t fully understand how much of a challenge it was to get to Valinor and what it took to get there. I had truly only done a fraction of what was needed in any one game. About a year later of trying I finally got there. It was epic and I have no regret. Admittedly I had it up for sale within a week afterwards though. .

Had GBLE and only regret selling because of how much they’re worth now. No regret from a gameplay perspective.

LOTR all the way.

#36 1 year ago

I'm not that a great player but I very much prefer GBs mean, short and exiting play than LOTRs long snoozefest balls that feels like a chore to play.

I both love and hate GB, that's why it's great. The same feeling as when I play my FT, it's a mean but fun bastard too

#37 1 year ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

Even wonka would be interested in… maybe…

Wonka is way underrated... you couldn't give me a Ghostbusters (really.... I had the chance to babysit someones for as long as i wanted it and said no thanks).

#38 1 year ago
Quoted from Elvishasleft:

Wonka is way underrated... you couldn't give me a Ghostbusters (really.... I had the chance to babysit someones for as long as i wanted it and said no thanks).

wonka is truly a bad game, one would have to pay me to put in my swanky lake house

#39 1 year ago
Quoted from centerflank:

wonka is truly a bad game, one would have to pay me to put in my swanky lake house

I wanna lake house!!

#40 1 year ago

I'm looking forward to picking this game up from you tomorrow gumnut! Great to hear you got further into the game before it leaves!

#41 1 year ago
Quoted from Rehamed:

I'm looking forward to picking this game up from you tomorrow gumnut! Great to hear you got further into the game before it leaves!

Haha! Thanks dude. Enjoy!! I’m glad I got to experience the journey. I will miss it, but so many pinballs so few years!!

#42 1 year ago

I think it’s up to you but for me I sold LotR and don’t miss it at all. It’s a great game but I’d rather own GB.

#43 1 year ago

LOTR. Total classic.

#44 1 year ago

try to get the 84x jackpot

#45 1 year ago

LOTR is the better of the 2 games, its considered one of the best for a reason!

However... once you get good at it the game becomes a quest! with really long ball times, which can be a turnoff for some.

GB is really fun, great intellectual property and movie, but I don't think its worth the price it commands...
It has the designation as the last dmd game stern did, probably would have been tons better with video assets.
Also the designer sucks as a human being!

#46 1 year ago
Quoted from gatordad:

LOTR is the better of the 2 games, its considered one of the best for a reason!
However... once you get good at it the game becomes a quest! with really long ball times, which can be a turnoff for some.
GB is really fun, great intellectual property and movie, but I don't think its worth the price it commands...
It has the designation as the last dmd game stern did, probably would have been tons better with video assets.
Also the designer sucks as a human being!

Video assets could have been cool for sure, there is something about the charm of dots for me that still has a lot of appeal. I wouldn't say I miss the DMD necessarily but I always appreciated a good dots package.

#47 1 year ago
Quoted from gatordad:

I dislike GB, a lot, but thought the dots were well done and one of the best parts of the game. Stern was great with dots - some of the animations in TWD, Metallica and others are classic.

#48 1 year ago
Quoted from luckymoey:

I dislike GB, a lot, but thought the dots were well done and one of the best parts of the game. Stern was great with dots - some of the animations in TWD, Metallica and others are classic.

Well done DMDs I find superior to a lcd most times. Only exceptions are TBL, Alien and DP. TSPP, AFM, TWD, LOTR are just brilliant. Tell a story so well. Worst DMD I own is the original spiderman, I will not buy a IM because of that compressed movie shit.

#49 1 year ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

Well done DMDs I find superior to a lcd most times. Only exceptions are TBL, Alien and DP. TSPP, AFM, TWD, LOTR are just brilliant. Tell a story so well. Worst DMD I own is the original spiderman, I will not buy a IM because of that compressed movie shit.

ColorDMD helps the compressed movie dots a lot. You can tell what’s going on, at least! Iron Man is awesome, truly your loss if you can’t look past the DMD. Even tho it’s low rez movie footage, it’s still an awesome show when the DMD shows Monger crawling out of the ground while the toy rises from the playfield & shaker/flasher FX sync with the audio.

#50 1 year ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

ColorDMD helps the compressed movie dots a lot. You can tell what’s going on, at least! Iron Man is awesome, truly your loss if you can’t look past the DMD. Even tho it’s low rez movie footage, it’s still an awesome show when the DMD shows Monger crawling out of the ground while the toy rises from the playfield & shaker/flasher FX sync with the audio.

Fair enough. Just imagine how cool it would be if it had the same sort of treatment as TWD. My wish would be to create dots like the vault of spiderman to the original spidey. Would be awesome to have the best call-outs to a well crafted display. Ain’t gonna happen, I know.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 103.00
$ 12.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models

$ 18.95
$ 12.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 28.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

Machine - For Sale
Red Oak, TX
Machine - For Sale
Las Vegas, NV
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 28.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
PinShades

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

There are 52 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.