45%
  • No 11 votes
    55%

(20 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

15954558825538221735319806474056 (resized).jpg
#1 3 years ago

After some research, it looks like an expensive proposition to change over LOTR to LED with using the LED kits with LED OCD board to manage the fading. My question then becomes... is it better to leave it incandescent? The comet kit is like 300 bucks, most other kits don’t address the short comings of LED lighting when it comes to fading lights.

#2 3 years ago

I’d leave it, leds are great if you do them right but LOTR is one game where incandescent bulbs actually look good and fit the theme. It really just depends if you want to spend the money or not

#3 3 years ago

Ive played both on location and preferred led, hard to see otherwise for me.

#4 3 years ago

We converted our LOTRLE to non ghost LED. No OCD board, just 2smd non ghost clear bulbs.

Worked a treat and we much preferred it over the normal bulbs.

#5 3 years ago

I like to LED as much as the next guy, but I tried a lot of combinations and nothing looked as good as incandescents. I definitely find the warm glow more suitable to this theme than harsher LEDs.

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballaddicted:

We converted our LOTRLE to non ghost LED. No OCD board, just 2smd non ghost clear bulbs.
Worked a treat and we much preferred it over the normal bulbs.

Does it flicker when the fade ends?

#7 3 years ago

My only suggestion is yes LOTR w/OCD is a great improvement However you don’t need a hand picked Color pallet to make it shine. Way to expensive and the result is often a rainbow of blah. Just get a Comet bulk bag of 100 clear LEDs for 1/4 the price and your done. The inserts give you the colors by design. JMO And note LOTR without OCD is a epileptic seizure waiting to happen!

#8 3 years ago

never ever buy a kit, lose $150 right off the bat.

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from Superpops1:

No it actually worked quite well. The game did not really fade in and out more on and off. The bulbs came from Comet, I will post a photo of the bulbs soon. We put them is everything from 80s up. Mucking around with the ocd board is just another thing to go wrong with the game in my view.

We do not have the game any more so I cannot post you a video.

15954558825538221735319806474056 (resized).jpg15954558825538221735319806474056 (resized).jpg
#10 3 years ago

I love LED’s and swear by comet, but I haven’t put any in my Lotr. It looks great and warm and spooky in the dark. I’d say at home keep in Incandescent

#11 3 years ago

Cointaker LEDs with the OCD board looks fantastic. Just did mine two weeks ago

#12 3 years ago
Quoted from Superpops1:

I have an LotR that was upgraded to no ghost LEDs by a previous owner. They flicker/twinkle when it fades but it does not bother me. It had a few bad LEDs and when I used standard LEDs to replace them, they ghosted badly, so no ghost or LED OCD must used on LotR.

For me, I would be happy with LEDs in the GI and incandescent in the inserts on most pins.

#13 3 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

My only suggestion is yes LOTR w/OCD is a great improvement However you don’t need a hand picked Color pallet to make it shine. Way to expensive and the result is often a rainbow of blah. Just get a Comet bulk bag of 100 clear LEDs for 1/4 the price and your done. The inserts give you the colors by design. JMO And note LOTR without OCD is a epileptic seizure waiting to happen!

This is the best advice. Kits are overpriced. Making your own allows for more personal preferences and far fewer dollars spent.

Use clear bulbs (I prefer sunlight white) under the PF and frosted for GI and the BG. Retro bulbs are good if you like an incandescent look. Sunlight brightens it a lot. Get a couple of each if you just want to test out what you prefer.
Comet is the best in the biz. If you need any assistance, contact ryanwanger

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Pinball Life

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

€ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 12.95
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
West Chester, PA
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

9,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Eau Claire, WI
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
$ 8.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

9,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Baton Rouge, LA
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 39.50
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lotr-lighting-choices-?hl=thomas3184 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.