Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

lotrtest2.jpg
lotrtest.jpg
batterieslotr.jpg
image.jpg
bulbdiode.jpg

#1 9 years ago

I just picked up a seemingly nice LOTR. While playing I notice that some of the lights stayed on most of the time (i.e. special, Gollum multiball, extra ball, spot ring). I went into the diagnostics and did a single bulb test and multiple light lit up. I looked under the playfield for shorts or anything obviously hooked up wrong and didn't see anything. Could it be a board issue? Maybe a bad transistor? I added a youtube link so you can see what I'm describing. Please help me!!!

#2 9 years ago

If they are on the same row or column I'd suspect an IC associated with them.

LTG : )™

#3 9 years ago

Sounds like a short in a column or row, or perhaps a bad diode controlling one of the lights.

#4 9 years ago

How do you test a diode that is crammed into one of these?

bulbdiode.jpgbulbdiode.jpg

#5 9 years ago

Looking at the first 4 tests, each group of lights that came on at the same time were in the same column. For example extra ball and Gollum are in the same column. The thing that makes it more concerning is that several columns are exhibiting the problem. Could the backbox have crushed the wires when it was set up?
I would unlock the back box coffin lock and inspect under it. I would also inspect the bundle of wires in the cabinet under the backbox area.

#6 9 years ago

It is probably best to follow Lloyds advice, but I'm not sure what IC stands for. interconnects?

You can get leads in there. I'd check for a short somewhere in that line first. Also, Are their any mods in the game? They can cause similar behavior without a blocking diode.

Quoted from Worstpinballever:

How do you test a diode that is crammed into one of these?

bulbdiode.jpg 330 KB

image.jpgimage.jpg
#7 9 years ago
Quoted from lyonsden:

but I'm not sure what IC stands for.

Integrated Circuit.

LTG : )©

#8 9 years ago

Another thing to look at just to check off a common problem is the batteries. See if there is damage on the board from acid.

#9 9 years ago

Thanks for the quick replies! I checked the wires coming out of the back box, I didn't see any signs of them being pinched/crushed. The only mods are a topper light, under cab lighting and the eye flasher in the back box. The leads on my multi meter fit into the area but I thought diodes had to be out of the circuit to be tested? Sorry for my ignorance! I suck at electrical stuff!

#10 9 years ago

Thanks for the quick replies! I checked the wires coming out of the back box, I didn't see any signs of them being pinched/crushed. The only mods are a topper light, under cab lighting and the eye flasher in the back box. The leads on my multi meter fit into the area but I thought diodes had to be out of the circuit to be tested? Sorry for my ignorance! I suck at electrical stuff!

I don't think it is likely to be a diode problem, especially since you have at least 3 rows and 3 columns of the lamp matrix involved.

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Another thing to look at just to check off a common problem is the batteries. See if there is damage on the board from acid.

The CPU is right below the batteries.

#12 9 years ago

Batteries look good.

batterieslotr.jpgbatterieslotr.jpg
#13 9 years ago

Could it be a bad ROM?

#14 9 years ago

Is there a way to test the ROM?

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#15 9 years ago

I'd unplug the mods and see if it makes a difference.

#16 9 years ago

I disconnected the mods but it didn't have any effect.

#17 9 years ago

Ck the connectors on both the CPU and on the Power driver board that have to do with controlled lamps. See if any of them are plugged in wrong(like shifted one pin, etc.). Could this also have to do with just crappy LED's?

#18 9 years ago

Don't know if this means anything but when I touch these two connections I get continuity.lotrtest.jpglotrtest.jpglotrtest.jpglotrtest.jpg

#19 9 years ago

I don't think there is supposed to be any connection here. On my TSPP there isn't. Could it be one or more of the transistors are bad? How do I go about testing a transistor?lotrtest2.jpglotrtest2.jpg

#20 9 years ago

I don't think there is supposed to be any connection here. On my TSPP there isn't. Could it be one or more of the transistors are bad? How do I go about testing a transistor?

lotrtest2.jpg 360 KB

You can try a resistance test for the transistor terminals but it's not a complete picture of its functionality. Proper testing of a transistor is beyond the capabilities of a multimeter and also shouldn't be done when the transistor is connected to a circuit.

#21 9 years ago

I think I've narrowed it down to the Q35 and the Q38 transistor(I found they were both shorting when I tested them). Once I had the board out I re-checked the wires under the playfield and the wires that were "crossed" weren't any more. Any thoughts out in Pinside land?

#22 9 years ago

I have no idea how to fix, but wanted to applaud your detective skills! Nice way to eliminate variables/components.

#23 9 years ago

I think I've narrowed it down to the Q35 and the Q38 transistor(I found they were both shorting when I tested them). Once I had the board out I re-checked the wires under the playfield and the wires that were "crossed" weren't any more. Any thoughts out in Pinside land?

Great work figuring this out!
If there was continuity when plugged into the game, there likely is a short under the playfield. But, replace the transistors while the board is out and see how that helps. Two simultaneous shorted transistors is suspicious.

#24 9 years ago

My guess is that a previous owner was poking around while the machine was on and inadvertently shorted something out, which blew the transistors. Total conjecture here. I ordered some new transistors, hopefully it fixes the problem. Total amateur here!

#25 9 years ago

I just replaced the transistors and I'm happy to say it fixed the problems! What a relief! Thanks to all for the ideas and support!

#26 9 years ago

I was going to chime in and say I had this issue with an NBAFB and replacing the transistor fixed it then too.

#27 9 years ago

I just replaced the transistors and I'm happy to say it fixed the problems! What a relief! Thanks to all for the ideas and support!

Great news. Thanks for the update.

#28 9 years ago

Great to hear!

#29 9 years ago

That is good news. You are a smart guy to go thru everything and figure it all out like that. Nice job. Enjoy the game!!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods
Boards

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lotr-light-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.