Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

dmd (resized).JPG
20180224_134959_resized (resized).jpg

#1 6 years ago

Hey guys, so the instructions say to use the original DMD mounting hardware to install...but it's ambiguous at best. Do I somehow have to reuse the original mounting brackets on to the LED DMD chassis (bottom of pic) or do I just mount it directly to the plexiglass (top pic). Direct mount seems "easiest" and the colorDMD chassis fits...but it doesn't seem right.

Any thoughts? Anyone else do this recently...maybe have pics too? Thanks!

*Attached snippet from instructions

20180224_134959_resized (resized).jpg20180224_134959_resized (resized).jpg

dmd (resized).JPGdmd (resized).JPG

#2 6 years ago

Watching this thread because I might want this in my own LOTR.

Once you get it sorted, I want to see how you like the LED vs LCD panel.

RussM

#3 6 years ago

Remove the entire old dmd. Separate the controller board. Put the plexiglass down, then put the new led display over the plastic. Attach the controller board to the back of the color dmd panel..secure the entire unit to the backboard with the old screws. There are no brackets used.

Edit: I misread and thought it was LCD. Sorry. LCD does not use the brackets.

#4 6 years ago

For Stern games with wood speaker panels, you'll need to use the original mounting hardware. Transfer the metal U-brackets and spacers from the old display over to the ColorDMD. You won't use the large metal shield.

Then mount the metal U-brackets to the wood speaker panel as you did with the old display.

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

For Stern games with wood speaker panels, you'll need to use the original mounting hardware. Transfer the metal U-brackets and spacers from the old display over to the ColorDMD. You won't use the large metal shield.
Then mount the metal U-brackets to the wood speaker panel as you did with the old display.

Thanks!

#6 6 years ago

Update...so I got it installed...but I'm getting a reflection on the top of the display from the backbox light. I installed the brackets how seemed most logical...is that reflection expected? Do you guys have an pictures of the how the brackets mount? Thanks.

#7 6 years ago

The light you see at the top of the display is shining down from the backbox. If it bothers you, you can use foam weatherstripping available from the hardware store to fill the gap between the speaker panel and metal display bracket.

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

The light you see at the top of the display is shining down from the backbox. IF it bothers you, you can use foam weatherstripping available from the hardware store to fill the gap between the speaker panel and metal display bracket.

Got it, Thanks again!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Grand Rapids, MI

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lotr-led-colordmd-install-issues and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.