• 16 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by CaptainNeo
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

Hey all,

I have a bit of a conundrum, and I thought I'd float it out there and see what people have to say. I have a LotR LE; around these parts, those are pretty hard to come by (I'd guess it's the only one in three or four hundred miles, pretty easily). I like the game; lots going on, looks good, plays really well, that sort of thing.

With that said, I'm mulling over moving it out the door. In my few (four-ish) years of collecting, I've had a good number of "deep" games (TZ, IJ, The Shadow, currently have TSPP and LotR). Aside from WhiteWater and T2, I've never had any "fast" DMD games, and I wouldn't put those in the same ballpark as the "deep" games I've owned. They're okay, but not the best examples of the "fast" style, you know? There's a part of me that wants to go down that avenue, move the LotR and see about an AC/DC or something of that ilk.

The flip side is that, yeah, the game is hard to come by, and if it left, I don't know if I'd ever find another one. This one sort of fell into my lap, but I fired up TSPP last night, and that's an awesome game, I like the theme more, and the play is similar depth-wise.

I guess this is my somewhat open-ended way of saying, what have other people done in the situation? What do other people think? I've had the game since September, and while I haven't seen everything there is to offer, I've seen a lot of it, and I really doubt I'll ever get to Valinor anyhow. Am I selling the game short by not seeing it through to the end, even though it might take me a matter of years? Anyone sold it and regretted it?

Yeah, this is kind of a vague question, but I thought I'd see what the masses had to say. It kind of pains me to have a game I was so enthralled to get half a year ago find its way to the chopping block, but I'm just not sure what to do. Thanks in advance, and sorry for the rant.

Luke

P.S. Someone is going to say move TSPP, and that's not in the cards, but I can appreciate that viewpoint as well.

#2 9 years ago

Are you a player or collector? I love my LE and consider myself both. I am glad I don't have to choose at least not yet on any of my games. The games I love I want in the best condition and an LE if possible.

You will have great trouble replacing your LE and shipping will not make it cheap.

You need to play the hell out of anything you are thinking of moving it for before you sell the lotr le and get rid of it for it imo.

#3 9 years ago

I have an LE that is a keeper. I doubt I get rid of that any time soon. I personally would (and have, actually) just save up for another or sell something else to get a fast DMD.

#4 9 years ago

Hey,

To answer the question, I'd say I'm a bit of both. I like having the game, and yes, it's cool to have the limited version, but aside from myself and a few friends, there aren't a tremendous number of people who really appreciate it for what it is. And I do enjoy playing it; I'm just not sure if I'd get more out of something else, or even the cash in hand and an empty spot in the gameroom. Just feeling a bit of burnout on the pinball thing, and when that happens, it's sometimes easiest to point at the big high-buck items as the things to move.

Luke

#5 9 years ago

Sell or trade. You can get some goods for that

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from lukerp:

Hey,
To answer the question, I'd say I'm a bit of both. I like having the game, and yes, it's cool to have the limited version, but aside from myself and a few friends, there aren't a tremendous number of people who really appreciate it for what it is. And I do enjoy playing it; I'm just not sure if I'd get more out of something else, or even the cash in hand and an empty spot in the gameroom. Just feeling a bit of burnout on the pinball thing, and when that happens, it's sometimes easiest to point at the big high-buck items as the things to move.
Luke

No matter what you are playing pinball! Maybe it's best to free that money up and play the field so to speak. Keep your wife and get rid of the expensive mistress while enjoying variety with the funds you free up!

#8 9 years ago

I sold a LOTR LE a few years ago. At times I regret selling it, but at the time I needed the $$ for a house I own in California. Looking back, I made the right move, but I wish I had the machine too. There are still LOTR LEs out there that can be had so I think you'll be able to find one again in the future. Your location in Canada makes it a bit more difficult as well too.

If you want a fast game, then sell the LE since the TSPP scratches the same itch for you so to speak.

#9 9 years ago

I'm in my LOTR transition phase. The time between selling mine and buying my next copy of it. I consider it one of the best games ever built. But that doesn't mean you have to. If you can afford to, pull the batteries and wrap it up in moving blankets somewhere. Then wait a few months. Flip some batteries in it and change the settings (see where I was going there?). Make it harder than factory to collect the fellowship, open the outlanes a notch, make it a bit steeper than you had it before. If you love it when it comes back, play on player. If not, shine it up and sell it. Not everyone likes the same games, and maybe it is just time to move it on for you.

#10 9 years ago

I sold LOTR LE recently.
Same as you,I found that it was played the least out of my games.
I new I would be in for a long game,if I started one.
It did look pretty,but I seldom played it anymore.
Met LE,STLE are a couple of games I had,that I played way more than LOTR.

I miss seeing it in it's spot,but that's about it.

Dan

#11 9 years ago

LOTR LE doesn't play any differently than the original, apart from the shaker effect. If you need room/money and want a different type of pin, then sell. You can always get another LOTR, and can always clean/adjust it to get it playing great as needed. If you're hung up on the LE thing and looking at a pristine game, more than playing one, then keep the LE I guess. I don't subscribe to that mentality--for me, I like my games playing as smooth as silk with everything responsive, and any dings or scratches don' other me at all.

#12 9 years ago

Hey all,

Thanks all for the advice. I'm not 100 percent sure what I'll end up doing, but was sure someone else had been in the situation before.

Luke

#13 9 years ago

Thought this was going to be kaneda's thread for a sec.

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

Thought this was going to be kaneda's thread for a sec.

#15 9 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

I'm in my LOTR transition phase. The time between selling mine and buying my next copy of it. I consider it one of the best games ever built. But that doesn't mean you have to. If you can afford to, pull the batteries and wrap it up in moving blankets somewhere. Then wait a few months. Flip some batteries in it and change the settings (see where I was going there?). Make it harder than factory to collect the fellowship, open the outlanes a notch, make it a bit steeper than you had it before. If you love it when it comes back, play on player. If not, shine it up and sell it. Not everyone likes the same games, and maybe it is just time to move it on for you.

"If you love it, set it free." Pinsider Rommy was in the same situation, and he decided to set his LOTR free. Took it on a nice drive in the back of his pick-up truck. The LOTR was ecstatic. Having spent most of its life inside a cardboard box, then trapped in a single room in a house for years, it was yearning to breathe free. Wind in its backbox, cruising down the road without a care in the world, the LOTR decided to leave its master. At the next turn it leaped out of the pick-up and dashed away to St. Louis. Rommy didn't hear from LOTR for a long time.

A year later the LOTR wandered back home to Arkansas. Rommy and LOTR were reunited and lived happily ever after, even though the LOTR had had some work done in the meantime.

#16 9 years ago

sell the LE since many on here think it's worth more, and rebuy an original. That's what i'd do. I still like the original better, Since I like the figures better, and do not want to own a backglass that is irreplaceable which doesn't look good in the first place.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 39.50
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 18.95
€ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 79.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Pinball Life

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 25.00
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lotr-le-sell-trade-keep and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.