• 49 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by ezeltmann
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image_(resized).jpeg
There are 111 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 8 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

2 totally different style pins so I recommend putting some time in on both before purchasing. Im a sucker for brutal pins so I love twdp bc its very difficult . I also love that its more of a generic zombie pin other than twd and I love the show. Only you can decide bc there are huge fans for both pins .

As i said, had LOTR twice in the past. I think i know it well even if i have never seen valinor. I'm like that. As long as i can't finish The game and if i don't feel frustration the pin keeps my interest to play again and again.

You say that TWD has a short ball time but How can it be shorter than my stargate?!! Ha ha a real kick- ass one for me

Last question, i watched The tv show in vost and so i prefer to have actors voices. I heard that there was sound rom with The actors voices. Where it is available?

Thanks

#52 8 years ago
Quoted from colonel_caverne:

As i said, had LOTR twice in the past. I think i know it well even if i have never seen valinor. I'm like that. As long as i can't finish The game and if i don't feel frustration the pin keeps my interest to play again and again.
You say that TWD has a short ball time but How can it be shorter than my stargate?!! Ha ha a real kick- ass one for me
Last question, i watched The tv show in vost and so i prefer to have actors voices. I heard that there was sound rom with The actors voices. Where it is available?
Thanks

Didn't see that you owned lotr before sorry.... twd prem is the toughest pin ive played and definitely much more than stargate. Yes there are many rom downloads with different callout configurations on this site for twd . Id go for something new if you have owned lotr twice and if its not for you then u wld have no problem selling it .

#53 8 years ago

Maybe I SUCK at pinball because my LOTR plays really fast and ball times aren't crazy long. I probably suck

Man, I don't know why non LE owners always have to crap all over LOTR LE. I feel like LE owners are confident in their games and also consider the regular game to be equal (minus a few cosmetic things and clear coat).

While I do like TWD, the design of that game has one huge flaw. The drain from the bumpers is just one of the most frustrating designs in pinball history.

Personally I like longer ball times and really enjoy trying to destroy the ring, getting to there and back again, and beating as many modes as possible all on 3 balls. I'm not in this for Valinor. The Multiballs in LOTR are epic and never grow old. I just love how complex yet easy it is to play LOTR. You always know what to do and there's so much TO DO. It's Stern's best code, ever.

#54 8 years ago

<blockquote cite="#2894996"
Man, I don't know why non LE owners always have to crap all over LOTR LE. I feel like LE owners are confident in their games and also consider the regular game to be equal.

You know how it goes.....the more $$$ you spend on a pinball, the more undying loyalty you'll have to the very end.

#55 8 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

Maybe I SUCK at pinball because my LOTR plays really fast and ball times aren't crazy long. I probably suck
Man, I don't know why non LE owners always have to crap all over LOTR LE. I feel like LE owners are confident in their games and also consider the regular game to be equal (minus a few cosmetic things and clear coat).
While I do like TWD, the design of that game has one huge flaw. The drain from the bumpers is just one of the most frustrating designs in pinball history.
Personally I like longer ball times and really enjoy trying to destroy the ring, getting to there and back again, and beating as many modes as possible all on 3 balls. I'm not in this for Valinor. The Multiballs in LOTR are epic and never grow old. I just love how complex yet easy it is to play LOTR. You always know what to do and there's so much TO DO. It's Stern's best code, ever.

I do agree with u but i decided to not pay twice The price of a standard LOTR. Ok if it was 1500€-2000€ More but not 4000-4500€. Just my choice even if personnaly this gold edition looks great to me.
As bigd1979 said, if i don't like TWD le, i think i could sell it or trade.
Thanks

#56 8 years ago
Quoted from Boondocker:

I paid $6800 in December for used LE with topper, shaker and a bunch of other mods. May have paid too much? but didn't want to wait until Feb for a premium.

You mean The shaker is not included NIB?

#57 8 years ago

If you like LOTR and are unsure about TWD, why not go GOT. Hearing great things about that pin.

#58 8 years ago

Can't verify since I didn't buy new, but read on the other TWD Pinside post it wasn't. They should come standard on all NIB.

#59 8 years ago

Shaker is not included on any model of TWD not even the LE had one. Had to get one and put it in.

#60 8 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

I don't have any issue with the drain from the pop area on my walking dead? I ca see it being a issue tho if not set up correctly. Ive had more issues on acdc that ive played from the pop area and hitting the bell sending the ball right down the middle.

#61 8 years ago

Where is the best place to buy the TWD Premium for the best price shipped? Ive seen it on amazon and ebay, but those prices seem a bit higher

#62 8 years ago

You are entitled to your opinion, but last I checked the general population of pinside doesn't share that opinion.

Also, historically speaking games start at the top of the 100 and work their way down after a few years. TWD LE is 30 and heading downward. Like I said, not a bad game, not great.

#63 8 years ago
Quoted from dung:

You are entitled to your opinion, but last I checked the general population of pinside doesn't share that opinion.
Also, historically speaking games start at the top of the 100 and work their way down after a few years. TWD LE is 30 and heading downward. Like I said, not a bad game, not great.

TWD is a great game, but it was bashed hard on release by a lot of pinsiders that were clueless to what the game had to offer. TWD is a game that you HAVE to learn and get into (more than other games) before you can appreciate it. IMO it's one of the best games Stern has ever done, and many people are just recently giving the game a second chance and discovering the same. TWD is doing the opposite of your historic example, it was rated low initially due to a lot of early haters and has moved up. Although, I don't care what the ratings say, as I know how great/fun the game is -> which is all that matters. TWD is like Twilight Zone, as TZ was not very popular in arcades because it was too complicated - but now is considered by many to be one of the best.

#64 8 years ago
Quoted from dung:

Really pinside ratings lol? Any how if u want to use that , twd prem started out horrible and is finally gaining popularity after a year from the amazing Lyman code updates so its not a good one to use for your theory really. One that does fit what your saying is gotle bc its now in top 10 with just a handful of honeymoon phase ratings but will even out after a year or so and fall into where it sld .

#65 8 years ago
Quoted from T7:

TWD is a great game, but it was bashed hard on release by a lot of pinsiders that were clueless to what the game had to offer. TWD is a game that you HAVE to learn and get into (more than other games) before you can appreciate it. IMO it's one of the best games Stern has ever done, and many people are just recently giving the game a second chance and discovering the same. TWD is doing the opposite of your historic example, it was rated low initially due to a lot of early haters and has moved up. Although, I don't care what the ratings say, as I know how great/fun the game is -> which is all that matters. TWD is like Twilight Zone, as TZ was not very popular in arcades because it was too complicated - but now is considered by many to be one of the best.

U beat me to it by a minute lol

#66 8 years ago

OP, your posted LOTR LE option is priced far too high imo and TWD LE makes much more sense.

Discounting that here are a few thoughts from the posts so far.

The PS ratings are a joke and many acknowledge it, it's so weak to use it to justify a choice that it warrants no further discussion.

To say either TWD or LOTR is better than the other is hard to justify as well. They are very different games. I'd be happy to own both and would like to. I have played both many times and enjoy both, but for very different reasons.

As many have said, LOTR has long ball times which can get old fast. It will not appeal to some people. It has been posted here before that if you are good, other players can watch a sitcom episode during a single players single ball time. Obviously, this is not ideal for multiplayer use, nor for those who have finite free time. It is also more stop and start and plays slower.

TWD is hard and rewards skill in shooting, it punishes bad play. It will not appeal to some people. It has faster play and shorter ball times, which make it better suited to multiplay use. It is frenetic and edgy.

'
'

It comes down to what type of play someone prefers, but also for many it comes down to adding variety in the play in a pinball collection. It's nice to have a hard pin in a collection of easy pins, and vice versa. I very much subscribe to the proverb that variety is the spice of life.

'
'

A few other considerations, though I'd suggest they are secondary. TWD likely has the best dmd dots out there, way way better than LOTR imo. TWD has LED light and the new generation GI light show. LOTR does not, but one can add LED lights aftermarket as a mod. Personal choice but I love my OEM LED and GI lightshow game over my incandescent games. LOTR has some pretty weird sound fx imo, distracting from the game. TWD has excellent music and with all the alternate sound replacement options now, it is easy to switch things up or for most to find an option that they like. TWD code has changed significantly over time and it plays differently from each code version. I have enjoyed much of the earlier code options and plan to switch it up over long term ownership and play that earlier code. At this time getting earlier TWD code isn't very hard. LOTR may not be as easy to get the older code versions.

TWD when properly set up has no pops stdm drain issues and this has been known and addressed for a long long long time. It has long been disproven. And it was never significantly noted in the LE/Prem, as opposed to the Pro.

From what I've read here, no prem/le stern machine has had a shaker included for many years. So there is nothing new there.

Both are great games.

#67 8 years ago

8.5k € = 14k NZ. Want my LOTRle

#68 8 years ago

TWD LE and don't look back! Don't question it, just do it. Thank me later.

#69 8 years ago
Quoted from TKDalumni:

TWD LE and don't look back! Don't question it, just do it. Thank me later.

yes sir!

#70 8 years ago

BLUF:

LOTR: long ball times but stood the test of time.

TWDLE: short ball times for most, very fun and challenging.

My preference is the latter. LOTR is a great game; I have nothing against it. I just love the theme and short ball times of TWD.

#71 8 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Really pinside ratings lol?

What metric would you rather use? LOTR has been around over a decade and is usually considered stern's best. TWD has been around since 2014. I never said it wasn't a good game, but there is a line of machines ahead of it in Stern's lineup.

#72 8 years ago
Quoted from dung:

What metric would you rather use? LOTR has been around over a decade and is usually considered stern's best. TWD has been around since 2014. I never said it wasn't a good game, but there is a line of machines ahead of it in Stern's lineup.

Lotr is good but way different than twd . The ratings system is flawed but it can give u a idea of things . Twd prem was super high (bad)and has been trending upwards the last few months with the newest code much like met did when the new code came out . I believe after a few years alot of the newer sterns will be in the top 20 knocking out many older Williams. .

#73 8 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Lotr is good but way different than twd . The ratings system is flawed but it can give u a idea of things . Twd prem was super high (bad)and has been trending upwards the last few months with the newest code much like met did when the new code came out . I believe after a few years alot of the newer sterns will be in the top 20 knocking out many older Williams. .

Met a nice guy at Expo. He has 150 pins. Yes 150. Asked him, if you could have one, what would it be? He answered...LOTR. Nough said.

#74 8 years ago

If you played these two pins back to back, the differences in how they play would be quickly and obviously noticeable. TWD is a much faster and more brutal pin than LOTR. Yes, LOTR is a bit deeper but the long ball times can be a real negative after you have the pin for awhile.

I much prefer how TWD plays.

#75 8 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

Met a nice guy at Expo. He has 150 pins. Yes 150. Asked him, if you could have one, what would it be? He answered...LOTR. Nough said.

thats great to know . I better go get one . Actually I wldnt mind having one for a while but I mostly like fast brutal pins so I dont think it wld last long in my small collection

#76 8 years ago
Quoted from Expletive:

If you played these two pins back to back, the differences in how they play would be quickly and obviously noticeable. TWD is a much faster and more brutal pin than LOTR. Yes, LOTR is a bit deeper but the long ball times can be a real negative after you have the pin for awhile.
I much prefer how TWD plays.

Yep I totally agree

#77 8 years ago

I agree the ball times are long, but to me they don't feel brutal because of how the code is laid out. Coupled with the music and the way you stack things, it's always a pleasure to play. But I do get how having multiple players who are good at once can suck. That is so true.

#78 8 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

thats great to know . I better go get one . Actually I wldnt mind having one for a while but I mostly like fast brutal pins so I dont think it wld last long in my small collection

Exactly, one person's opinion does not dictate what the rest of us should follow. So he likes LOTR over 149 other machines. Someone else probably prefers F14 over LOTR. Whose opinion matters more? Neither.

#79 8 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

Exactly, one person's opinion does not dictate what the rest of us should follow. So he likes LOTR over 149 other machines. Someone else probably prefers F14 over LOTR. Whose opinion matters more? Neither.

Nobody likes F14 over LOTR. Let's be real.

#80 8 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

I like bsd better than most pins

#81 8 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

While we are being real, most people don't own 150 machines.

I think you got my point.

#82 8 years ago

Jean-louis, pour toi 7,3k€ te semble correct pour la cote d'un TWD LE?

Can't for sure. Out of my budget so not really paying attention to the value of LEs. All I can say is that I am not shocked.

#83 8 years ago

I love my LOTR. It's epic. It's fantastic. It's brilliant.

Does it get the most plays in my collection? No. I'm busy playing the newest acquisition(s), but LOTR is always there when I'm in the mood and it never disappoints.

Plus, I know in the back of my mind, unlike my other pins, it's not going anywhere. So, there's no urgency.

I know TWD is hot now, but how will it fare in 10+ years? It will be interesting to see if any of Stern's latest & greatest can stand the test of time like LOTR has.

#84 8 years ago

One more time, TWDLE/premium is the best overall pin Stern has ever made!

I haven't even turned on my LOTRLE in over a year. Great pin but NOT EVEN CLOSE to TWDLE. And it's "deeper" in a better way.

#85 8 years ago

Everybody has their opinion...TWD sucks!

#86 8 years ago
Quoted from TaTa:

This man is wrong

Quoted from iceman44:

I haven't even turned on my LOTRLE in over a year. Great pin but NOT EVEN CLOSE to TWDLE. And it's "deeper" in a better way.

Here is an example of a right man .

#87 8 years ago
Quoted from TaTa:

Quoted from ezeltmann:

This man is wrong

TaTa is wrong on TWD. But he knows good beer.

#88 8 years ago

There is no wrong just different opinions..... but no game sucks especially twd

#89 8 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

There is no wrong just different opinions..... but no game sucks especially twd

Not even WWE?

#90 8 years ago

TaTa needs to drink a few beers and get his mind right!

If you can flip it Norcal, it doesn't suck. That said, WWE sucks.

#91 8 years ago

Yeah, lord of the rings is king!!!

#92 8 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Did he get a TWD?

#93 8 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Unfortunatly i don't have enough money to get a pin i don't play since a year. that is my case with my MB and MM. i'm selling them to discover new pins.

#94 8 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

You guys are starting to convince me to pick up my first NIB Stern since TSPP. I've only played TWD pro which kicks ass, but love the idea of walker bombs. When are these available again?

#95 8 years ago

both are great but I would take the LOTR

#96 8 years ago

I kinda feel like TWD is one of the most overrated Stern pins on Pinside.

#97 8 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

You guys are starting to convince me to pick up my first NIB Stern since TSPP. I've only played TWD pro which kicks ass, but love the idea of walker bombs. When are these available again?

Its also the light show, extra magnet and crossbow which I really enjoy bc its difficult. I also really like the bicycle girl ramp and extra bash toy . Of course the walker bomb and extra drop target and spinners are nice also. O yea the rgb inserts ard a nicd addition also lol. I just had another long night with the twd prem and its only getting better with time

#98 8 years ago
Quoted from turbo20lbs:

I kinda feel like TWD is one of the most overrated Stern pins on Pinside.

Where do u see its overrated? Its definitely not represented on the top 100 as it sld be?

#99 8 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Where do u see its overrated? Its definitely not represented on the top 100 as it sld be?

Don't be silly. Just take a look a round on here, nearly everyone blows it like it's the second coming.

#100 8 years ago
Quoted from turbo20lbs:

Don't be silly. Just take a look a round on here, nearly everyone blows it like it's the second coming.

Only specifically after the final code update. Wasn't well liked before then. So the process to get to such love seems reasonable.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
PinballGeek

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Las Vegas, NV
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

€ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 8.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

7,760 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Greensboro, NC
$ 599.95
Cabinet - Toppers
Hi-Rez Pinball Mods

$ 89.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

13,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Litchfield Park, AZ
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models

7,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

€ 7.50
$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 111 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lotr-le-or-twd-le/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.