(Topic ID: 21293)

LOTR is in the House! (at last)

By txstargazer3

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 11 years ago

I finally made the move and picked up a LOTR in excellent condition. It arrived yesterday and my wife and I have been playing it almost nonstop. What a great game! And, yes, I realize that we have barely scratched the surface of this deep rule set. No wonder this game is rated so highly.

It has a few mods already including a Pinbits diverter on the Paths of the Dead, Pinbits Orthanc rebound jam defender, color changing Palantir, armored side rails and Pinball Life LOTR flipper coils.

I think this game could benefit from a subwoofer and some LEDs. Any advice on these? I'm thinking of using the Cointaker LED kit. I'm sure some Pinsiders have already faced these decisions. Thank you for any advice you can provide.

#2 11 years ago

I will have one within the month as well. Congrats!

#3 11 years ago

congrats and welcome to the lotr owners club.

#4 11 years ago

I got lotr and tspp over the last couple months and love them both.

#5 11 years ago

Great game - congrats!

#6 11 years ago

Congratulations! Hope to have one someday.

#7 11 years ago

Nice get. Everytime a HUO kept coming up around me, I had just bought another major machine, and couldn't wing it. I finally got mine, an LE, added everything that the standard has, and have loved it ever since.

This machine you don't just play, you battle. It really feels like that in the MB modes.

#8 11 years ago

Congrats . Great game . Mine is never leaving my collection . I can highly recommend the cointaker LED kit as I have the full kit installed in mine ... including the backbox kit that does away with the fuoro tube .

#9 11 years ago
    Quoted from txstargazer3:

Any advice on these?

Match the colors of the inserts yourself and get the non ghosting ones. Congrats. It is epic.

#10 11 years ago

Congrats! Hope to join the club one day

#11 11 years ago

<---------------- is jealous mine won't be here for a few weeks.

#12 11 years ago

Congrats.
    It was my first pin.. actually bought it retail before I knew about all the trading going on the message boards.. most importantly my wife loves it too, it's her favorite and she now has the high score!
    Seems to be very durable, or maybe I've just been lucky. I've only wiped it down every once in a while but all switches and lights work well.
    It's a little dingy and of course my Arwen plastic is broken.
    It will NEVER leave my collection..
    In fact I'm thinking about sending it to Chris at HEP and do a complete restore/some new plastics/POD mod/black side mirror blades and new LED translite effects to make it all pristine again and last as long as my interest in pinball does..

Personally I would not recommend an LED kit or changeover, except maybe matching colors for the inserts only..
    There's something about the photoshopped swampy/yellow green background that IMO needs the old style glow of incandescent lighting.. bright flickering LED lights detracts from the original style IMO.

Anyway enjoy your game..

#13 11 years ago

FYI I just had Mike Chestnut replate all the ramps, wireforms, and the sword and it looks fantastic.

#14 11 years ago

Congrads ...it's my family's favorite game. It never gets old...seems u see and hear something different on each game.....enjoy!

#15 11 years ago

I was thinking about the Cointaker kit but using their Retro Warm White LEDs for the GIs. That way the lighting would not be too bright or harsh.

#16 11 years ago

contact info? PM is fine.

Quoted from Erik:Mike Chestnut

#17 11 years ago
    Quoted from txstargazer3:

I was thinking about the Cointaker kit but using their Retro Warm White LEDs for the GIs. That way the lighting would not be too bright or harsh.

Check out the CT frosted...they provide the best for GI PF lighting.

#18 11 years ago
    Quoted from JDub1006:

+1.

#19 11 years ago
    Quoted from JDub1006:

I'll do that, thanks. I'll give the folks at Cointaker a call tomorrow.

#20 11 years ago
    Quoted from JDub1006:

So they don't strobe?

#21 11 years ago
    Quoted from darkmiss:

So they don't strobe?

I have not had any issue with the cointaker frosted bulbs strobing in either my Space Shuttle or my STTNG. I had the wide angle ones from Pinball Life before, and they strobed REALLY badly in STTNG...

Bought the frosted at TPF to try out, worked great, replaced ALL GI in STTNG with them. No issues.

#22 11 years ago
    Quoted from PBINTHESOUTH:

Personally I would not recommend an LED kit or changeover, except maybe matching colors for the inserts only..
    There's something about the photoshopped swampy/yellow green background that IMO needs the old style glow of incandescent lighting.. bright flickering LED lights detracts from the original style IMO.
    Anyway enjoy your game..

I agree with this. OTOH, you can add some colored bulbs and give it a really cool look. $2 for a box of 10, easy way to bring out the artwork without being gaudy. (I used green around the slings and above the POTD, yellow on the right part of the backbox and around the 2 main ramps.) The sweet attract mode won't be the same if you put LEDs in there.

Your mods are all good ones. I recommend the backbox warming filter too--turns the bluish fluorescent warmer, really makes the translite look a lot nicer. And a color-changing Palantir ain't worth a hoot unless it's a *glass* Palantir!

#23 11 years ago

Congrats! My Favorite Stern! Which I really wish they would go back to welded metal guide rails! Was LOTR the last Stern with metal guides?

#24 11 years ago
    Quoted from StevenP:

I recommend the backbox warming filter too--turns the bluish fluorescent warmer, really makes the translite look a lot nicer. And a color-changing Palantir ain't worth a hoot unless it's a *glass* Palantir!

Who sells the warming filter? Never heard of the glass Palantir, who carries that? I've got a lot to learn about LOTR mods!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lotr-is-in-the-house-at-last and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.