Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by paynemic
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 1 year ago

Hey all, I have a weird little repair saga and I need advice. I was fixing my friends LOTR (used to be mine). It’s always worked fine for me and I sold it to them a few years ago and it worked great when I put it in their house. After a couple years, they said the backglass stopped lighting. Also, the sound (pinsound original) started to not work. So I went to help.

So it looked like a dead fluorescent situation. On the sound side, pinsound had an amber light and just beeped slowly (the boot up beep) and kept beeping very slowly. No other sounds.

So, I replaced the fluorescent with led. I cut the ballast out and rewired as directed. I turned it on to check and it came on great. At this point I didn’t really notice the status of the rest of the game. It seemed fine (no sound though). So I turned it off and started on the pinsound.

So I tried to update the pinsound firmware and got nothing. Now not even the beeping. So I tried a new downloaded sound package. Still nothing. So I decided to remove it altogether. I was really careful removing stuff. I watched the pinsound install video twice to be sure I reversed the process accurately. I think it went perfectly.

When I got done, I flipped the switch and all the insert lights came on in unison and blinked on-off-on-off at about a half second pace. I quickly shut it back off (maybe three seconds). I rechecked all my work, reseated the processor (very carefully, and triple checked every leg, etc) and connectors. Flipped the switch and a few lights came on and nothing else. The color dmd screen is blank (but has power, i could get into the menu). No inserts. I think just GI came on. All the leds on the main board that indicate voltage are lit. I checked all the fuses. LED1 doesn’t blink or come on solid or anything. The LED tube replacing the fluorescent is going strong tho! Hahaha.

I hate when I try to help someone and end up making it worse!!

So, any help would be appreciated.

#2 1 year ago

Bump to help a bro out?

#5 1 year ago

Thanks for all the helpful posts. Using some of those diagnostic ideas, I narrowed it to the cpu or main board. I swapped the non working board into my working lotr and same symptoms, won’t boot. So I put “dead” processor into my working game and it worked. When removing it I noticed it was really loose in the “bad” board. Upon examination the socket had been replaced and it was very loose feeling. I could change the behavior by flexing the chip around in the socket. So, I flexed all the little pins so they’d grip the processor chip tighter. Put it back together and it all worked!! Thanks again everyone!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn, MI
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 12.95
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

9,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Eau Claire, WI
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

€ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 8.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 25.00
10,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lotr-help-please-wont-boot and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.