(Topic ID: 32750)

LOTR habitrail mod-My mission to save the world from ugly plastic.

By ryan1234

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 104 posts
  • 67 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by chuchunain
  • Topic is favorited by 63 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0587 (resized).JPG
20161001_163854 (resized).jpg
20161001_163845 (resized).jpg
20161001_161120 (resized).jpg
20161001_161109 (resized).jpg
image_1.jpg
image.jpg
photo.JPG
ball_flyout.jpg
image-209.jpg
image-66.jpg
LOTR.jpg
2013-01-09_17-59-37_13.jpg
lotrmod3.JPG
lotrmod2.JPG
lotrmod1.JPG
There are 104 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 10 years ago
Quoted from Bigbossfan:

OK folks, this is the real deal. I ordered one of these mods from Ryan last week. It showed up in the mail today (and I'm in the Great White North!). Took all of five minutes to install and looks fantastic. To echo everyone elses comments....this should have been included with the pin from origin....as it fits in so perfectly. Thanks Ryan for a great mod!

+1 I've had mine for several weeks now. It is a game changer!

#52 10 years ago

I've had mine for months and it is fantastic. Still looks great. Simple mod that looks factory. Great guy to do business with.

#53 10 years ago

I have started coating these. I just use spray can coat and seems to work well- FYI.

Thanks for all the nice comments.

#54 10 years ago

I also thank you,
great cheap mod

#55 10 years ago

PM sent ... I'm lazy and would like to buy one.

#56 10 years ago
Quoted from ryan1234:

I have started coating these. I just use spray can coat and seems to work well- FYI.
Thanks for all the nice comments.

Are you talking about clear coat in a can? That sounds like a good idea. What brand do you use?

#57 10 years ago

Ok, time for me to try. Still worried I wont have enough thread left with the LE pinbits footies mod, but I'll figure something out (I always do).

PM sent.

#58 10 years ago

Received it today. Fit and finish is excellent. Looks like it came from the factory. Five minute install.
Every LOTR needs this mod. We'll done Ryan!
image-66.jpgimage-66.jpg
image-209.jpgimage-209.jpg

1 week later
#59 10 years ago

Has anyone written an article on creating entire habitrails to replace plastic ones? I'd love to see metal rails in place of PotC's 'where's the rum' left return...

#60 10 years ago
Quoted from Don1:

Has anyone written an article on creating entire habitrails to replace plastic ones? I'd love to see metal rails in place of PotC's 'where's the rum' left return...

+1
I love metal habitrails!

#61 10 years ago

Hey love it. Can you give me a price to Toronto please. Thanks

#62 10 years ago

PM sent!
So cool.

#63 10 years ago

Anyone else ever have a problem with the ball flying out the top at the end of the habitrail and into the outlane instead of dropping down into the inlane?
Seems to always happen when I got the Witch King on the ropes
I suggest that the OP tweaks his design slightly to cover this area.
ball_flyout.jpgball_flyout.jpg

#64 10 years ago

Nope. But my wife did have a rather humorous problem during multiball. All three balls were coming down the habitrail and somehow one got jammed on top of another one where the habitrail mod makes that right turn to the left sling plastic. All three balls were stuck there and we were unable to move them without tilting. Had to take the glass off to nudge them back into play. Maybe that one ball was trying to jump into the outlane but didn't make it! I'll keep an eye out to see if it's a constant problem, but I love the mod otherwise.

#65 10 years ago

I had one get stuck on top of the habitrail mod, where makes the L shape at the bottom. Only once though, otherwise it was worked perfectly.

#66 10 years ago

The ball often has a terrible back spin on it resulting from the tight turn at the entrance to that ramp. So much in fact that when it hits the end of the habitrail, it pops up and out.. The OP suggested a couple of things for me to try. I just wanted to clarify that this happened before I installed his mod and is not a result of the mod itself. Only seems to be an issue for me anyway. Hopefully I will be able to correct it.
If you haven't purchased one of these yet, you are really missing out on an inexpensive way to improve the look of your game.

#67 10 years ago

Received mine today,

fits perfect and looks fantastic !

Thanks a lot Ryan

#68 10 years ago
Quoted from Solder_Splash:

Anyone else ever have a problem with the ball flying out the top at the end of the habitrail and into the outlane instead of dropping down into the inlane?Seems to always happen when I got the Witch King on the ropes:)I suggest that the OP tweaks his design slightly to cover this area.

ball_flyout.jpg 66 KB

that'd maybe solve by bending the upper loop up 1-2mm to hit slightly above center-equator of the ball. not seeing anything connecting that'd prevent a little bend up in that spot, use a ruler to check before-after on the lift. hitting just enough above center oughtta overcome roll-spin that'd try to climb and always bump it downwards, hopefully.

bigdaddy07.. slight tweeking to bring it down closer probably solves to never happen again.

ryan1234, GOOD JOB!! that really does look like it belongs there. in another thread "I want gold balls" I'd shown how to do cold (no electric current) copper flash plated pinballs, could look really nice on chrome wireforms too.
the ball would eventually wear a fine line to the chrome, probably not ever noticeable tho.

#69 10 years ago

I tried making one of these, but I could not get the bends correct and the metal would break.....so I ordered one from Ryan. BEST $15 SPENT ON A PIN EVER! Here is why:
(1) It looks factory original.
(2) Easy to install
(3) Quick to ship
(4) A creative & USEFUL mod. This should be encouraged and supported
(5) It allows you to remove a unsightly piece of plastic from a beautiful pin.

Thanks Ryan. This mod deserves 2 snaps up and a circle:

#70 10 years ago

Looking for one sent go toronto please Ryan.

#71 10 years ago

Had another pile-up of balls on the habitrail mod. I'm going to try bending it up a bit to keep balls flowing underneath it. Very aggravating when you have to slide the glass off to get the balls moving and it kills your multiball. I'll let you know how the tweak works out...

#72 10 years ago

I just saw what the problem is with this mod (which I love, by the way). A bit of a design problem, and I'm wondering if it's just on mine or if others are having this problem. What's happening is that the shire is kicking the ball up, it hits the habitrail and hops into the channel created by the right rail of the habitrail and top rail of the mod. The way the mod narrows from left to right leading from the shire to the end of the habitrail creates a natural flow point for the ball to follow if it hops...and it often does. Anybody else with this problem? And is there any way to rectify this, Ryan? I LOVE what you've done, but it seems you need another piece to keep the ball from hopping up and getting dislodged (see pic below).

photo.JPGphoto.JPG

#73 10 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I just saw what the problem is with this mod (which I love, by the way). A bit of a design problem, and I'm wondering if it's just on mine or if others are having this problem. What's happening is that the shire is kicking the ball up, it hits the habitrail and hops into the channel created by the right rail of the habitrail and top rail of the mod. The way the mod narrows from left to right leading from the shire to the end of the habitrail creates a natural flow point for the ball to follow if it hops...and it often does. Anybody else with this problem? And is there any way to rectify this, Ryan? I LOVE what you've done, but it seems you need another piece to keep the ball from hopping up and getting dislodged (see pic below).

photo.JPG 33 KB

You can bend it just a little and it will solve that problem so the ball cannot get stuck.

#74 10 years ago

Which way? There are a bunch of directions I could bend it.

#75 10 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Which way? There are a bunch of directions I could bend it.

I believe I bent mine slightly to the left just enough for the ball to fall through. When you do it, have a ball handy to test it out.

3 months later
#76 9 years ago

I have to echo what others have said. The mods looks awesome! It really cleans up that spot.

1 month later
#77 9 years ago

This is one great mod. I would have paid much more for how this mod looks and functions. I recommend it to all LOTR owners. I had to "open" the wire by just pulling it up slightly once installed as balls were getting stuck trying to pass through. A tweek to be expected. Great job Ryan. Thanks again!

1 year later
#78 8 years ago

Absolutely "must have mod" from Ryan - easy install, looks like it was born with it, great work
Cheers,
Ken

#79 8 years ago

Wow. I'm glad somebody resurrected this thread. I had not seen this before.

PM just sent.

#81 8 years ago

I sold my Lotr awhile ago by that was one mod I really thought made the game better looking, completely cleans up that lower left corner

2 weeks later
#82 8 years ago

Mine arrived today. What an amazing fix! My Legolas ramp is now one of the sweetest things I've ever hit. SUPER fast and it seems to get sucked down the ball drop by this add-on. I'm calling this one of the top five mods ever, and the top non-powered mod of all time. Totally needed, totally right and beautifully executed. Thanks Ryan!!

#83 8 years ago

I am really happy that everyone like it!

2 weeks later
#84 8 years ago

Installed mine today fit like a glove and play tested great and looks great like it was designed for the game originally.

#85 8 years ago

I bought one of these a year ago and have never installed it. I found after taking off the plastic I have never had a ball jump off the end of the ramp...?? I keep waiting for it to happen but for now I'm going naked.

I sure don't regret buying it though as I probably wouldn't have taken the plastic guard off otherwise.

#86 8 years ago

I wonder if there would be a way to use this material to make a "ramp" of sorts which would feed the PotD to the shire every time. My ball 90% ends up on rail and I miss out on the extra souls. Good looking mod. I might have to consider this.

#87 8 years ago

Bought one of these about a month ago, then a friend of mine came over and saw it and ordered one and installed it on his machine. One of the best mods I've ever bought for the price.
I think next I'll fill those four holes and paint over them.

image.jpgimage.jpg

image_1.jpgimage_1.jpg

4 months later
#88 8 years ago

Hi,

i get my Lotr in a few days. So i'm searching for the habitrail mod. Maybe someone can produce/offer one to me?

Hope you can help me

Thank you

#89 8 years ago
Quoted from MightyGrave:

Hi,
i get my Lotr in a few days. So i'm searching for the habitrail mod. Maybe someone can produce/offer one to me?
Hope you can help me
Thank you

Just PM the OP. Ryan's a great guy!

3 weeks later
#90 7 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Just PM the OP. Ryan's a great guy!

+1

6 months later
#91 7 years ago

PM Sent

5 months later
#92 6 years ago

I made one of these a while ago but am just getting around to uploading the pics now.

I broke one of the loops off that was meant to be secured by a screw, but in a bit of serendipity found that I could friction fit it like below.

I wanted to see if this would hold or cause damage ( needed to be sure that the end would not be scuffing balls etc, or cause the habitrail welds to crack or whatever). So far so good!

20161001_161109 (resized).jpg20161001_161109 (resized).jpg

20161001_161120 (resized).jpg20161001_161120 (resized).jpg

20161001_163845 (resized).jpg20161001_163845 (resized).jpg

20161001_163854 (resized).jpg20161001_163854 (resized).jpg

3 months later
#93 6 years ago

Great mod ryan1234, just added mine and it looks great. Easy to install, had to give it a slight bend up to allow balls to pass thru, but have had zero issues and love the look.

IMG_0587 (resized).JPGIMG_0587 (resized).JPG

1 month later
#94 6 years ago

PM sent.

#95 6 years ago

After a ColorDMD this is hands down the best mod for a LOTR.

#96 6 years ago
Quoted from stoptap:

After a ColorDMD this is hands down the best mod for a LOTR.

I'm going with the Planatir mod as a number 2

#97 6 years ago
Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

I'm going with the Planatir mod as a number 2

That is your right of course.
But you’d be wrong.

3 months later
#98 6 years ago

Pm sent

10 months later
#99 5 years ago

I got mine today. the color match is perfect and it looks great. Shipped to Australia so thanks!

6 months later
#100 4 years ago
Quoted from ryan1234:

On LOTR the left habitrail has a plastic shield to prevent the ball from flying out.
It looks like an after thought by Stern. I made this fix using 1/8 inch brass rod.
###Edit- I have started selling these for $20 shipped-- just PM me###I had to raise the price as I was loosing money. I try to break even, I just don't want to loose money.
-----Or You can also make-it yourself, see below----
[quoted image] [quoted image] [quoted image]
Post edited by ryan1234: I have started to charge $20 instead of $15.

Hi Ryan
Are these still available to purchase?, I would like one please of they are.
Cheers
Trevor

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
€ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
$ 39.50
Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 12.95
$ 12.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 79.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Pinball Life

€ 7.50
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
10,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

There are 104 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lotr-habitrail-mod/page/2?hl=scerik and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.