(Topic ID: 32750)

LOTR habitrail mod-My mission to save the world from ugly plastic.

By ryan1234

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 104 posts
  • 67 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by chuchunain
  • Topic is favorited by 63 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0587 (resized).JPG
20161001_163854 (resized).jpg
20161001_163845 (resized).jpg
20161001_161120 (resized).jpg
20161001_161109 (resized).jpg
image_1.jpg
image.jpg
photo.JPG
ball_flyout.jpg
image-209.jpg
image-66.jpg
LOTR.jpg
2013-01-09_17-59-37_13.jpg
lotrmod3.JPG
lotrmod2.JPG
lotrmod1.JPG
There are 104 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 11 years ago

On LOTR the left habitrail has a plastic shield to prevent the ball from flying out.
It looks like an after thought by Stern. I made this fix using 1/8 inch brass rod.
###Edit- I have started selling these for $20 shipped-- just PM me###I had to raise the price as I was loosing money. I try to break even, I just don't want to loose money.
-----Or You can also make-it yourself, see below----
IMG_0319.jpgIMG_0319.jpg IMG_0320.jpgIMG_0320.jpg IMG_0321.jpgIMG_0321.jpg

Post edited by ryan1234: I have started to charge $20 instead of $15.

#2 11 years ago

Very nice!

#3 11 years ago

Any chance you'll be making more to sell? I wouldn't mind one.

#4 11 years ago

I like it alot! I did not have the plastic on my machine when I got it. I added it when I got a NOS plastics set. and took it off shortly afterward. In my experience the ball got stuck on the plastic, and I have not had it come off the habitrail once. Is this a big issue?

Your mod is very nice and looks factory! If you decide to make more, please let me know and I will buy one.

Chris

#5 11 years ago

excellent idea, fit the game a lot better.

#6 11 years ago

Nice mod. It looks like it was something that came with the game.

#7 11 years ago
Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

In my experience the ball got stuck on the plastic

Did you have the Pinbits plastic protector kit installed? That increased the height of the ramp but not the plastic guard above it. I had to add a taller mount. My ball kept bouncing off the ramp without it.

#8 11 years ago

No, it was just the regular plastics. I never had an issue with the ball coming off the habitrail. Just lucky I guess?

That scenario would make sense though. Maybe the washers uner the sling plastic were thicker than original (if there were any on there originally)?

Chris

#9 11 years ago

You might just need to tighten the nut that attaches the habitrail to the slingshot plastic. I found if it isn't tight enough, it would cause the ball to get stuck against the plastic.

#10 11 years ago

Nice looking mod -looks as if it should have been there from the start.

#11 11 years ago

Wow, hell just froze over. A home made mod that I actually like. This looks very nice.

#12 11 years ago

Much better looking than the original! How was it made, with the brass rod and a pair of pliers?

#13 11 years ago

WOW. Well played sir. *CLAPPING*

#14 11 years ago

I added it when I got a NOS plastics set. and took it off shortly afterward. In my experience the ball got stuck on the plastic, and I have not had it come off the habitrail once. Is this a big issue?

Mine flew off the habitrail all the time, actually. =\ Plastic didn't prevent it either. It would come around that curve so hot it would just ride up the side and fly off. You can put a few washers under the plastic to get it to sit a little higher so the ball doesn't hit it. I had same problem.

This, however, is an excellent upgrade appearance-wise.

#15 11 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

Much better looking than the original! How was it made, with the brass rod and a pair of pliers?

This is exactly how it was made(a heavy set of needle nose pliers). Nothing to complicated. The angle at the top has to be there so the ball coming from the shire can clear it. I just bought some 1/8 inch solid brass rod from the hardware store and started bending(this was my second attempt-- complete failure on the first). Then I used good old novus #2 to polish.

Quoted from flashburn:

Any chance you'll be making more to sell? I wouldn't mind one.

I could sell some but, it was fairly easy to make and the brass rod was $7.00 for three feet (thats a lot of mistakes worth).
If you don't want to try, PM me and I can make some more.

#16 11 years ago

Okay cool, that sounds easy enough. I think I'll give it a try. Thanks a lot for sharing your idea.

#17 11 years ago

Looks great and its so much more than just a mod- Bravo! Thanks for sharing.

1 week later
#18 11 years ago

This mod is great. I can't believe how great it looks! Absolutely factory looking.

Thank you Ryan!

Chris

lotrmod1.JPGlotrmod1.JPG lotrmod2.JPGlotrmod2.JPG lotrmod3.JPGlotrmod3.JPG

#19 11 years ago

This mod is great. I can't believe how great it looks! Absolutely factory looking.
Thank you Ryan!
Chris

Is he selling them?

#20 11 years ago

it look so good i just did a new piece of plastic and i'm thinking of taking it off and do this.
wondering, is that piece that important? a never saw the balls going out of the ramp of knocking on the plastic, ever. at some point i was wondering why it's there.

also, since i'm going to install mirror blades, i was a little bit scared that this plastic and the metal spacer that holds it was going to scratch the mirror blades, now if i put this mods i won't have to worry about that.

so not only it's a nice mod but also a practicle one.

#21 11 years ago

He sold one to me I would PM him. I don't know if he is actively making them, but I would imagine he would if you asked. I don't want to speak for him though.

Chris

#22 11 years ago

SilverUnicorn-
Glad you like it. I only have one good Idea a year and I am sure this is it.

P.S. I removed the post where the plastic was mounted (4 screws)
Then painted the 4 screw heads black and replaced just the screws.
You can hardly see them now.

For pinsiders ONLY-
I will make these for $15 including shipping-
Or try making it yourself (I would love to see others variations)
Just PM me

#23 11 years ago

I got my mod today as well. It works great, thumbs up for Ryan to take the time to make one for lazy asses like myself! It really looks like it belongs there from the start, unlike that piece of plastic that looked more like a bandaid.

I think I'll also paint those screw heads black like you did.

3 weeks later
#24 11 years ago

Pic from my machine with the mod from ryan. Gave a view from behind the shire VUK plastic so you can see how it protects the plastic:
2013-01-09_17-59-37_13.jpg2013-01-09_17-59-37_13.jpg

#25 11 years ago

Just confirming.....

This is the plastic that this mod is replacing, correct? I think it looks great! Good job ryan1234.

LOTR.jpgLOTR.jpg

#26 11 years ago

That's modding to perfection!

#27 11 years ago

Now if only there was a way to keep scorchers up the ramp ON the ramp up to that point.

#28 11 years ago
Quoted from MrDo:

Now if only there was a way to keep scorchers up the ramp ON the ramp up to that point.

This does a bit. Had one bounce off it where it angles in. Also had one come flying down and it put on the breaks as it rode the bottom of the new piece. It works great!

#29 11 years ago

You might want to tweak it a little bit. I've had the ball still fly between the new rail and the habitrail, and then into the outlane. I'll probably try bending it a little.

1 month later
#30 11 years ago
Quoted from flashburn:

You might want to tweak it a little bit. I've had the ball still fly between the new rail and the habitrail, and then into the outlane. I'll probably try bending it a little.

As an update to this, Ryan was kind enough to send me a new one which he tweaked a bit. This one goes a bit further down the habitrail, and I no longer have any balls flying out from the habitrail!

Thanks again Ryan. This really looks like it should of been there from the factory.

#31 11 years ago

I want to order one of these, but the height of my LE slingshot may not allow it.

I have the plastic protector set, with the pinbits footies plastic, as well as the two spaces, that are like additional plastic washer protectors for each nut. I'm guessing it looks tight without this stuff, and likely wouldn't work on mine.

Anyone with protectors try this?

#32 11 years ago

I have one on a SE with protectors. It fit, but I ended up using thin lock nuts rather than the standard ones.

#33 11 years ago

Mine has plastic protectors, fits fine.

10 months later
#34 10 years ago

Bump for recent interest

#35 10 years ago

Looks very polished and nice. Much better than the plastic. If it performs the same then Excellent mod.

GLWS

#36 10 years ago

I'd be in for one.

#37 10 years ago

Assuming shipping to Canada is reasonable and these are still being made, Count me in as well!

#38 10 years ago

I'd like one if they are still available.

QSS

#39 10 years ago
Quoted from QuickSilverShelby:

I'd like one if they are still available.
QSS

count me in.

#40 10 years ago

Could use onefor metallica right ramp too.

#41 10 years ago

I have one of these and it looks more original and natural than the plastic shield that comes with the game.

#42 10 years ago

I am still making this rail mod for any Pinsider who is interested- please feel free to PM me.
Or try making it yourself- it is very easy and cheap.

2 weeks later
#43 10 years ago

Bump for this useful post.

I hate the plastic piece, the brass wire looks much better. Looking forward to making one myself, but might just order one from Ryan.

#44 10 years ago
Quoted from ryan1234:

I am still making this rail mod for any Pinsider who is interested- please feel free to PM me.
Or try making it yourself- it is very easy and cheap.

If the brass isn't clearcoated it will tarnish real quick. Do you have a way of ccoating these?

Looks nice btw!

#46 10 years ago

I just ordered one from Ryan. 15 bones shipped. Not bad since I am not handy.

#47 10 years ago

Any way you could make something similar which would help the ball from jumping out of the rail when it comes off the Path of the Dead?

I have a ball diverted installed but even with that I'd say at least half the time or more the ball will hit the rail and then bounce into the Shire.

#48 10 years ago
Quoted from Manic:

If the brass isn't clearcoated it will tarnish real quick. Do you have a way of ccoating these?

Looks nice btw!

I do not clear coat them- I would think the rail could be sprayed with some clear Acrylic.
I have had one on my machine for over a year and it still looks good.
-EDIT-
***I have started clear coating just to be sure nobody has any problems.***

#49 10 years ago
Quoted from ryan1234:

I do not clear coat them- I would think the rail could be sprayed with some clear Acrylic.
I have had one on my machine for over a year and it still looks good.

Sure. As a kid I remember having this Arabic brass gong-style coffee table and every few months I would have to give a Brasso session (whew) ... so that's why I'm paranoid about uncoated brass.

But it looks great and would go with the brass Cliffy's I have on my machine so I may have to give it a try... thx !

1 month later
#50 10 years ago

OK folks, this is the real deal. I ordered one of these mods from Ryan last week. It showed up in the mail today (and I'm in the Great White North!). Took all of five minutes to install and looks fantastic. To echo everyone elses comments....this should have been included with the pin from origin....as it fits in so perfectly. Thanks Ryan for a great mod!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 18.95
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.95
$ 79.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Pinball Life

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

€ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 25.00
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 8.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 39.50
10,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 104 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lotr-habitrail-mod/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.