Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Gimli VUK (resized).jpg
62770448-48F1-4937-82DC-9763A912463D (resized).jpeg
13F5E7B0-370C-44AA-98A1-3B1BD13DA30F (resized).jpeg
459B3FDF-A745-4A44-A4A6-5C6E4E1CCBCE (resized).jpeg
Gimli Switch (resized).jpg
#1 7 years ago

LOTR is my current favorite pin but the Gimli vuk is getting annoying. I have replaced the switch twice and it still is not 100% working. It may go for days at 100% then another day it will not do anything till ball search shoots the ball up. The Shire vuk is old and it always works. Is it possible to replace the Y type switch with a modified flat switch? I can shorten the metal part till it just reaches the plunger. Or can optic sensors be used to activate the vuk?
Also I would like to install a shaker motor in my standard edition LOTR. Are there any problems with this mod? The software stuff makes me nervous. I can do any hardware related things. Is it possible to get everything from one source?

#2 7 years ago

Very much doubt there's room to install optos there without shorting something out. That VUK is the worst thing about LOTR though. If it's not the stupid switch design, it's the VUK kicking too hard or not hard enough and the ball falling back down into it 3-5 times before sticking in the wireform. Was SUPER annoying.

#3 7 years ago
Quoted from drummermike:

LOTR is my current favorite pin but the Gimli vuk is getting annoying. I have replaced the switch twice and it still is not 100% working. It may go for days at 100% then another day it will not do anything till ball search shoots the ball up. The Shire vuk is old and it always works. Is it possible to replace the Y type switch with a modified flat switch? I can shorten the metal part till it just reaches the plunger. Or can optic sensors be used to activate the vuk?
Also I would like to install a shaker motor in my standard edition LOTR. Are there any problems with this mod? The software stuff makes me nervous. I can do any hardware related things. Is it possible to get everything from one source?

I probably replaced my Shire VUK switch 6 times in the 3 years I had my LOTR. Replaced Gimli twice. The switches started to become scarce, so I bought 10 of them. Still have them even thought LOTR is now gone. Unfortunately just a LOTR characteristic.

I got pretty good at replacing them in 15 minutes or less, though!

#4 7 years ago

Gimli switch is terrible on that game. We have one on location at Abari, and it gets a lot of play. We keep that little fork switch in stock at all times. Since its been on the floor (about 4 months), I just replaced it the third time.

#5 7 years ago

I have lots of switches and they are simple to replace. They cost me $8 a piece and are hard to find. The switch works but then stops. I think the first new switch I took out was working but changed it anyway. Now the second one I put in is not always working. I have played this game in a bar and the Gimli switch never worked. The owner never fixed it. I would not play that pin again. I will try a modified switch.

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from drummermike:

There's a couple threads on it https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-install-shaker-motor-in-lotr-standard-edition
You also need to update your Sound OS to version 8, so you don't get the random callouts.

#7 7 years ago

Thanks to all for the help. I just looked at my Stern Star Trek Pro vuk switch. I may be able to adapt one of those in LOTR. There is no room for opto on the one side of the vuk in LOTR so that is out. I can't believe everyone with LOTR tolerates the bad switch problem. I have to do something. Today I played and the vuk worked 100%. Switch works then it does not work. Frustrating!

#8 7 years ago

I use to have switch issues like this. Turned out the wires seemed to be loose on the Gimli vuk connector from unplugging it and reconnecting after when changing out the switch. Might be worth checking that out if you had to unplug it a lot.,

#9 7 years ago

I know when we first got ours.. It would be out as many times as it worked.. I would spend lots of time bending and adjusting.. Only to have it break the silver y part.....,,,,,,After about 5 new switches... I must of gotten a good batch. NO problems since...

Also when I first changed the switch... I would solder it to long on install. And melt or damage it sometimes... Maybe that could be happening in your experience.. Good luck...

2 months later
#10 7 years ago

My second new LOTR Gimli vuk switch has failed. I now put in a 180-5209-00 switch like that in Stern ST pro vuk. This switch does not have the side to side movement like the originals. It works great! Should have done this after the first one failed. The fork switches are not made anymore and if you do find them they are twice the price of the 180-5209-00. The tip of the 5209 may need to be bent slightly so it does not sit over the kicker. And I agree that the connections under the playfield do have to be plugged in properly. I had that happen after putting in the second new switch. I think the non Y switch is the long term solution.

#11 7 years ago

Having issues with mine as well. Could you post some pictures of what you did. I may try and duplicate it. Thanks!

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from drummermike:

My second new LOTR Gimli vuk switch has failed. I now put in a 180-5209-00 switch like that in Stern ST pro vuk. This switch does not have the side to side movement like the originals. It works great! Should have done this after the first one failed. The fork switches are not made anymore and if you do find them they are twice the price of the 180-5209-00. The tip of the 5209 may need to be bent slightly so it does not sit over the kicker. And I agree that the connections under the playfield do have to be plugged in properly. I had that happen after putting in the second new switch. I think the non Y switch is the long term solution.

This happens about as often on the vari-VUK target in RBION. I have both games and have replaced that Y switch on RBION a half dozen times; just replaced it for the first time on LOTR (which I've owned for just 3 months).

If the Stern ST switch works better, maybe that's what we should move to.

#13 7 years ago

Data East owner here... I had inconsistent vuk issues, game went into ball search, etc. Turns out the Vuk assembly was sticking. I ended up using silicone lube on the kicker assembly. Smoothed it right out. Worth a shot!

#14 7 years ago

The Stern Star Trek type vuk switch works great. You may need to only put it in with out bending the tip if it does not stick out over the plunger. I will send pictures tomorrow.

#15 7 years ago

Yes. Please post those and thanks for following up!

#16 7 years ago

This is the ST type vuk switch in LOTR. Ball goes in from both directions with no problems.

Gimli Switch (resized).jpgGimli Switch (resized).jpg

#17 7 years ago

Looks good and makes sense. Has to be a stronger switch than that crappy fork switch.

11 months later
#18 6 years ago

So I replaced this switch with the Star Trek one. It passed the switch test, by now the gimli coil sets of a malfunction. It pumps up several times.

What did it do? Reverse wires? Only reconnected wires to the switch. Didn’t pay attention to that, by figured If passed the switch test it was fine.

Help.

#19 6 years ago
Quoted from Morhaus:

So I replaced this switch with the Star Trek one. It passed the switch test, by now the gimli coil sets of a malfunction. It pumps up several times.

What did it do? Reverse wires? Only reconnected wires to the switch. Didn’t pay attention to that, by figured If passed the switch test it was fine.

Help.

Any chance the plunger is hitting the switch arm? If so, just bend the arm in so it doesn't hit and you should be fine.

#20 6 years ago

Just had the wires the wrong way. Needed to adjust the switch a bit so it would trigger better, but I believe I have it back to normal.....thanks you!

1 year later
#21 4 years ago

I also have been having this problem since I got my LotR. The forked switch sucks and is pure garbage. I put in the Star Trek switch and now the thing works perfect. I posted a few additional pictures which show how I bent the “hooked” part of the switch where it meets the straight part. It just needs to be bent down a few degrees. I removed the rubber on the post just to the left of the VUK which allows you to stick in a needle nose and adjust it incrementally until the optimal angle is achieved. Just make double sure it doesn’t overhang the kicker, or you’ll probably destroy the switch in short order. It also has mostly fixed the issue of the ball falling out of the wireform. I suspect the fork acts as a spring that predisposes the ball to kick up at a slightly odd angle, thus greatly increasing the chances of the ball not perfectly catching the guide.
13F5E7B0-370C-44AA-98A1-3B1BD13DA30F (resized).jpeg13F5E7B0-370C-44AA-98A1-3B1BD13DA30F (resized).jpeg459B3FDF-A745-4A44-A4A6-5C6E4E1CCBCE (resized).jpeg459B3FDF-A745-4A44-A4A6-5C6E4E1CCBCE (resized).jpeg62770448-48F1-4937-82DC-9763A912463D (resized).jpeg62770448-48F1-4937-82DC-9763A912463D (resized).jpeg

1 month later
#22 4 years ago
Quoted from Morhaus:

Help.

I am also went 3 weeks with the Gimli VUK working great with a fix similar to ST Pro. However, I am also getting the Gimli Coil malfunction now (as you mention, I get several attempted upkicks on empty Gimli target. I know the wires are correct and it's not touching the upkicker. Anyone know another reason why this may be failing.

Gimli VUK (resized).jpgGimli VUK (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 79.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Pinball Life

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 39.50
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

€ 7.50
10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

10,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
€ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lotr-gimli-vuk and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.