Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 14 years ago by scooter
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 14 years ago

I played about 3 hours worth of LOTR earlier today and did not have even 1 good game during that time. The same occurred last night as well. I have the game difficulty set to easy which is almost embarrassing to even admit. All the shots (even easy ramp shots) seem so hard to make and my complaint of the constant center and side ball drains are now an understatement. One of my friends who used to play pinball quite often did not want to play this machine anymore after having 4 straight horrible games. I myself have never experienced this kind of frustration with Spiderman or really any other pinball or arcade machines that I can remember. Is this game considered to be a difficult machine? At first this machine appeared to be the apple of my eye and now I hate to say its quickly turning into a poison fruit. I do not regret buying this machine but one would think you would have at least one decent game out of a hundred. I hate to keep venting on this, buts its very frustrating.

#2 14 years ago

It's a shooter's game. Much like Attack From Mars, Medieval Madness, or many other fan layout games, you can keep the ball alive for a very long time without scoring much if you don't hit your combo shots or finish off modes. With Lord of the Rings, you're really going to have to learn your angles so that you can hit the lit shots, especially on the left and right ramps when you need to.

You'll get better at hitting specific shots. When you do, you'll be putting up big numbers. For now, just focus really hard on finishing modes when you start them by going after the flashing shots with every flip.

#3 14 years ago

Machines also change a ton from when things are brand new and when they are broken in. I've never owned a NIB machine but I've heard this same kind of comment from many people in the past. I guess if you are going to buy something NIB it's worth the effort to try and find one and play it that has gone past that new period.

I finally got around to installing and playing the Virtual Pinball emulator on the PC. I can't remember which member mentioned it in the past. YES I KNOW it's not real pinball but it is fun after finally finding the right newest executable and a dozen or so machines for it.

#4 14 years ago

Thanks jar155 for the feedback. I'll try what you said. I figured this machine would be more of a skill based shooter than Spiderman.

#5 14 years ago

The ajustements are doing a HUGE difference. When i will have the time, i will send you all my setting. I score 117 000 000 yesterday without destroying the ring and I'm not a pro pinballer at all....this is my first pinball...
One thing you can do is close the outlanes a little bit (medium position). You set your game with three balls per play but adjust the extra ball at five shots in the right tower (don't remember the name). Also, you change your free play for an extra ball at 35 000 000 (instead of 21 000 000). Another important thing is to MASTER the ruleset. If you don't undestand it, you will not have fun.

#6 14 years ago

For me, most of the times the ball goes down the center is when I accidentaly hit the Palintir from the left flipper. I hate when I do that.

#7 14 years ago

Thank you Holy Pickle for the tip on adjusting the outlane spacing. I was not even aware that such an adjustment could be made or even existed until I saw the 2 open holes on each side. I lowered the pegs (assuming that is what they are called) to the middle like you suggested and it did seem to make a difference on the amount of side ball drains. I am paying attention and concentrating harder on making the specific shots needed to advance through the different game modes. Didnt mean to sound upset earlier guys, just got a little frustrated thats all. Hey SealClubber, have you ever gotten the red "special" light under the golum multiball to light up ? Mine works in test mode but have never seen it light up during the game.

#8 14 years ago

Hmmm, not sure. Will start to look for it.

Seems to be a "Gift from the Elves" award. I have mine set to give points. How do you change the extra ball setting to be lit by the Barad Dur tower?

#9 14 years ago

I have the same thing with my LOTR (the game I have at home). Some nights when I play it, I won't hit a single shot - very frustrating. But then, at other times, it will play like the wind! It's a game that takes a lot of mastering especially hitting the shots when you need to. Being good at the sword ramp shot, the gollum shot, the center ramp. Tough stuff. But at least this game keeps me coming back for more... and then some more!

Also, in our Koog gameroom (where we have around 20 games) I have learnt to abandon a game quickly when it just "won't go". If I have two or three bad games on it I quickly move on to another type of machine. There's always one that goes well (or sometimes not even one - but that's to blame on the beer).

Keep on playing. This game is so rewarding to play well on.

#10 14 years ago

SealClubber,

In the feature adjustments, go to the number 28. If you put at easy, the extra ball will lights after 5 shots in the Barad-Dur tower, at moderate it takes 7 shots.

I suggest to let the number 29 ajustement to ''yes''.

#12 14 years ago

Great advice Guy's,
I have been learning how to play my Indiana Jones 2008 for the last 4 weeks.
As this is my first pin, it has been a steep learning curve.

I have had my points go from around 50M in the first week, to yesterday, 478M.
Took me almost 45mins to finish the game, AWESOME Fun.

Cheers
Steve

#13 14 years ago

Stern IJ has an awesome multi-ball!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
West Chester, PA
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 25.00
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 12.95
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
€ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Denver, CO
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Pinball Life

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 8.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lotr-game-frustration and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.