11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

Hi ,
I am a newbie .
I was putting in a shaker motor on my lotr.
Unfortunately for me i put the rom and the pal chip in the wrong way .
Pin went stupid machine was out of control.

As I was working through the issues that i had, and i made a fatal error and i think i have shorted out a board or something in the board as it was not earthed as i turned it on and nothing booted up .
Had fuse f6 blow & f20 & f21 and the fuses under the playfield for the flippers .

Need some help so i can sent the right board for repair.

Thank's
Dave

#2 11 years ago

I'm guessing you probably blew the transistor for the coils. The board you are wanting to check is the driver board . It's the big bottom board that most of your plugs go into . This board controls your coils , switches and lights .

#3 11 years ago

Thank's for your help , i have had a look at a manual today.

#4 11 years ago

So to start, putting those chips in upside down likely ruined them both. Have you put the originals back in? What's the condition in that case?

The whitestar chipset runs on two boards. The CPU board where the chips were and the power board - the one with all the fuses. At this point with just this data it's impossible to say what is messed up. You need to give more data such as what I asked above.

The fuses blew because the circuits were grounded and massive power shot through them. Every coil runs on its own board transistor. So for both flippers to be stuck up, both circuits are shorted. But it could be that the CPU is telling both circuits to activate. As I said, can't give you a set answer. Tests need to be run.

You have a dmm and know how to use it? Have access to other whitestar boards to swap? If the answer to all this is "no" I suggest you call a repairman.

#5 11 years ago

I made several errors

1# Put both whitestar chip (from pinbits) & rom 10.02 in the wrong way
2# The pinball went crazy (like when you defeat the ring )
3# At that time i took them out .(realized that i had made a mistake)
4# Put the originals back in. (the correct way) the pin was still going crazy.
5#Took the CPU/Sound board out .
6# Put a new whitestar chip (from pinbits) & a new rom 10.02 in .( but i had not earthed the board as i had not tightened the screws)( just forgot to do this)
7#The next day i turned pin on and there was no boot up (in the CPU / Sound board )only a few lights on the playfield come on.
8# Realized that i had not earthed the CPU board . (now earthed)
9#Turned on again . and pin booted up (replaced all fuses).
10# issues i had was flipper fuses under playfield blow and fuse for magnet blows (f20)
11# Disconnected magnet . (with rom 10.02) ( flippers were still not working (fuse was blowing)
12#Then I put original chips back in again. fuses for the flippers under playfield blows ( with magnet connected fuse ok)

I have not connected the shaker motor .

I have not got a dmm ???
and have not got access to another board.

Thank you for your help markmon.

#6 11 years ago

It sounds like both flipper transistors are shorted and need to be replaced but it is impossible to 100% diagnose without a meter and more trial and error testing after the flipper transistors/fuses are replaced.

#7 11 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

It sounds like both flipper transistors are shorted and need to be replaced but it is impossible to 100% diagnose without a meter and more trial and error testing after the flipper transistors/fuses are replaced.

Thanking all for the help (DCFAN & markmon)
God I just got it dmm ???
Will buy one tomorrow .
If it is both flipper transistors ( transistor Q9 & Q10 )the power outage is 50v DC
Can i ask what will it be if it is shorted ?
Sorry for the dumb question as i don't want to make anymore mistakes.
Would it be higher or zero ? .
also there are 3 prongs what ones do i check ?

Thanking all again

#8 11 years ago

You do not need to test for voltage. You need to test for resistance (ohms).

To test the flipper transistors, set your meter to ohms. As a meter test to make sure you have the meter set up and properly working, touch the two probes of the meter together and it should read at zero, and when the probes are not touching anything the meter should give you no reading (in other words infinite resistance).

Then put one probe of the meter on the metal tab of the transistor and the other probe on the ground braid or another grounded part such as the metal mounting area of the circuit board. If you get a reading of zero or close to zero then the transistor is shorted and needs to be replaced. If the reading is not registering or flashes a reading for only a fraction of a second and then goes to no reading then that transistor is probably ok.

Turn the pinball machine power off when you are testing for resistance.

#9 11 years ago

Thanks DCFAN

#10 11 years ago

Yes.

Do the coils enetergize the second the game is turned on? Or does it require the game to boot first? This is important to determine if the CPU may be causing it rather than shorted transistors
I would check impedance across the flipper coils as well at this point. Good chance other transistors and coils are fried.

#11 11 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Yes.
Do the coils enetergize the second the game is turned on? Or does it require the game to boot first? This is important to determine if the CPU may be causing it rather than shorted transistors
I would check impedance across the flipper coils as well at this point. Good chance other transistors and coils are fried.

Yes the flipper coils energize the second the game is turned on .

I if pull the flipper fuses out from under the playfield everything else works on the machine .

Thanks

#12 11 years ago
Quoted from Pinoffski:

Yes the flipper coils energize the second the game is turned on .
I if pull the flipper fuses out from under the playfield everything else works on the machine .
Thanks

That means that the flipper transistors are likely shorted and need replacing. Hopefully that is the only thing wrong.

#13 11 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

That means that the flipper transistors are likely shorted and need replacing. Hopefully that is the only thing wrong.

Thanks i hope it is only thing that is wrong .
Thanks again for all that helped it has been a step learning coarse .

#14 11 years ago

Keep in mind that the coils may also be shorted now. If so, replacing the transistors may blow them again. Check the coils and transistors and replace them together if need be.

#15 11 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Keep in mind that the coils may also be shorted now. If so, replacing the transistors may blow them again. Check the coils and transistors and replace them together if need be.

Will replace all just to be sure .
Just to ask as i have read about weak flippers on lotr .
Were should i purchase new coils from can i get a link or part no: .

#16 11 years ago

You may not need new coils. You should test the impedance across the lugs with a DMM on ohm setting. If each is ~ 4 ohms, you're ok. If they're 0 ohms (direct short) they're dead.

#17 11 years ago

Like Markmon said, test the resistance of the coils as well. If they test ok I recommend fixing the problems that are known before replacing something that tests as good. Replacing multiple good parts at the same time can open you up for compounded problems.

For reference Pinballlife sells the upgraded coils. I put one on for my left LOTR flipper but have not needed it for the right flipper.

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1112

#18 11 years ago

Hey now, I have the PAL and ver 10.02 chips along with a new shaker sitting in a box right now all set to be installed in non LE LOTR. This thread has made me nervous. I have blown out a transistor in the past and it caused my shooter lane VUK to lock up and burn. It was not pleasant to fix this, then yank out the board and replace the transistor etc. Cannot imagine the pain in the butt of multiples getting blown. How safe is this mod boys? Any success stories out there that want to share?

#19 11 years ago

I've had mine in for about 2 years with no issues.

#20 11 years ago
Quoted from paulohotline:

Hey now, I have the PAL and ver 10.02 chips along with a new shaker sitting in a box right now all set to be installed in non LE LOTR. This thread has made me nervous. I have blown out a transistor in the past and it caused my shooter lane VUK to lock up and burn. It was not pleasant to fix this, then yank out the board and replace the transistor etc. Cannot imagine the pain in the butt of multiples getting blown. How safe is this mod boys? Any success stories out there that want to share?

The mod was not the problem. It was that the chip was installed improperly leading to circuitry failure. Just be careful to install the chips with the pins in the correct positions.

#21 11 years ago

Like DCFAN said. The mod is safe and easy - Pinbits makes a point on how the chip goes. This was just one of those wow mistakes. We have all had them, I have made my share.

#22 11 years ago

Cool, thanks for sharing. Does the shaker add allot to gameplay?

#23 11 years ago

It's pretty good integration. It doesn't change the game play much but it does enhance the experience.

#24 11 years ago

+1 as markmon said

Quoted from coz6:

Like DCFAN said. The mod is safe and easy - Pinbits makes a point on how the chip goes. This was just one of those wow mistakes. We have all had them, I have made my share.

The upgrade was a combination of errors that i made .
Must thank all for the help !

+ pinside for this forum .

#25 11 years ago

Good to see another Aussie on here burtcam. Its a good mob here.

#26 11 years ago
Quoted from mickthepin:

Good to see another Aussie on here burtcam. Its a good mob here.

Thank's Mate ,

This site is awesome for tech issues and genuine help .

Au sites seem to be more like facebook lol .

#27 11 years ago

I think there are just not as many people on Aussie arcade. You will find they are very helpful but there just isn't the volume that you have on pinside. In fact I have found quite the opposite on tech, pinside has more off topic than Aussie pinball arcade. I like all the off topic stuff on pinside but thats just me.

#28 11 years ago

Hey now, upgraded the 10.02 game rom, 10 display rom and PAL chip with no issues this afternoon. Shaker is hooked up and installed as per the instructions on this forum. Its a blast having it in the game. Shakes everytime you pick up a member of the fellowship, hit a jackpot and when the Balrog swings into action. The shaker absolutely goes ape shit when you DTR as a buddy of mine did it tonight. All in all well worth the addition to your LOTR if you don't mind the constant rumbling

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 12.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

€ 7.50
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
$ 12.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

9,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Eau Claire, WI
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 8.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 25.00
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 79.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Pinball Life

$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

10,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lotr-flippers-always-energized and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.