(Topic ID: 285613)

LOTR flipper transistor blowing

By Pinballjimmy

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider barakandl.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinballjimmy:

I know there are plenty of posts about this but I'll tell how this happened and what I've done troubleshooting.
This started with having an weak left flipper. It would make shots but when the ball lands on it coming from the left loop the flipper would bounce down slightly and bounce back. Sometimes when the ball is travelling especially fast would cause the flipper to collapse. While holding the flipper button down I could push the flipper down with one hand. Then the flipper would act as if it only had the hold power until I released and pressed in again the flipper button.
I rebuilt the flippers; full kit, EOS switch properly gapped, new sleeves, new bat bearings. Everything new but coils. This did improve snappiness but the weak issue remained.
I went into test mode and the EOS switches register properly. I swapped sides on the flipper buttons and nothing changed. I pulled the wiring from the flipper coils and ran alligator wires from the left wires to the right coil and this made the right flipper behave weak just as the left side had been. I ran alligator wires from the right flipper wiring the the left flipper coil and it was strong. I put everything back the way it should be.
From this I feel I had felt I eliminated in the cabinet and there was a problem on the board. From this assumption I pulled the board and replaced Q15 with a transistor IRL540N. Put the board back in and the flipper was immediately strong as it should be. It was just as strong as the one on the right. However it immediately blew the resistor because the flipper would not go back down after I let the button go. It would drop back down when I opened the coin door so its not a mechanical bind.
At this point I replaced the diode on the coil ensuring I did not reverse it. I replaced the transistor again. I buzzed out the legs on the new transistor to the proper points on the board and there is continuity. Turned on game. Flipper is strong but again immediately blew the transistor. Flipper locking up when the coin door is closed.
The flipper coils are the 090-5020-20T. Left resistance is 3.2 ohms. Right is 3.4 ohms. I've triple checked and wiring to the coils is correct. I did not reverse anything pulling and replacing the wires to the coil lugs.
Side note, the original transistor I pulled was not the original transistor to the game as there was evidence it had been replaced.

Was the original one that seemed weak an IRF540 instead of IRL540?

Double check the coil wiring and diode polarity is consistent with other coils. Make sure the diode on the coil is truly in circuit. Make sure you get IRL540 from an authorized distributor. Power mosfets highly faked. Seems common that they take a weenier Chinese transistor like nce0117 and mark it as a IRL540 which cannot take the abuse of the flipper coil.

IRL540 should be the preferred part. Stern had issue for a little while where if someone held a flipper button down a long time it would kill the original specified mosfet that could handle less current than IRL540. IRF540 may not fully turn on all the way. It seems to work in some boards but is weak in others.

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinballjimmy:

I'm getting 75 volts at the gray-yellow wire for the left flipper and same voltage on blue-yellow for the right flipper. I buzzed out the orange-gray from the other lug of the left flipper coil back to J9-8 and all the way to the middle leg of Q15. No bleeding over anywhere It shouldn't be.
Replaced the transistor again. I buzzed out from the bottom leg C248 and R15. Buzzed out the middle leg to J9-8 and C256 (blank pad). Buzzed out the top leg to ground. Buzzed between all legs and all crossing paths if there were to be any. Buzzed out to legs on Q16 and no shorts other than ground leg of course.
I logic probed U2 16 and 19 (left and right flippers respectively) and both probed out correctly and identically with their respective flipper buttons. I had the coin door open to avoid throwing voltage through the coils.
I pulled the wires off the flipper lugs. I put it test mode and single coil mode. Still door open. Put it on the left flipper. Hit run and nothing. Transistor still good. Pushed the coin door switches in and hit run. Blew the Q15 and fuse F6. Replaced the fuse with my circuit breaker for testing. Did the exact same steps on the right flipper and no blown transistor of kicked breaker. Flipper worked as it should once I placed the wires on the lugs. Of course once I placed the lugs on the left flipper it locks on when power applied.
I'm at a loss at this point. I'm ordering a new batch of transistors in case this batch is bad. How unlucky would that be? I've burned through 3 of them.
I'm considering removing C248 as although it doesn't buzz out to ground from the side that is connected to Q15 the other side does go to ground. I'm wondering if this capacitor is somehow grounding me out when signal is applied and load hits.

Where did you buy the mosfet transistors from? IRL540 is a target part number for fakers. Fake ones may appear to be fine until you fire once with a decent load and then go short drain to source.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Pinball Life

$ 12.95
10,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

€ 7.50
€ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
$ 12.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider barakandl.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lotr-flipper-transistor-blowing?tu=barakandl and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.