• Latest reply 4 years ago by FatPanda
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
switch (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider FatPanda.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

The flippers on my LOTR occasionally flutter with the capacitors installed on the flipper switches. I changed them out and it still happens. The switches are new as well. I checked the EOS switches and adjusted them so they're good. What could I possibly be missing? I clipped one leg of the capacitor and am playing without them. Am I missing out on a little extra snappiness without them?

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballTilt:

I thought I had read that the capacitors just helped prevent arcing of the contacts. By flutter, do you mean weak flips or delayed flips?

Yes and yes. Sometimes I'll hit the button and the flipper will quickly flip up, but drop back down, then come up again, in fast succession. I just know that it happens more frequently with them installed vs not installed. I dont see any arcing between the contacts with them disconnected.

The main thing I was adjusting was the EOS switch, but i feel like i have it gapped well enough where there wouldn't be any issues. When closed, they are making good contact.

Could it be bad diodes on the coils?

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballTilt:

Make sure your cabinet switches are clean. Run a business card or crisp bill through there to clean it. Reflow solder on the tabs of the switch and coil in question
Someone else will chime in I'm sure, those are just the things I would do. O, and the pitting would take time to develop I think you'll be okay for now at least.

They are all new switches all around, new capacitors as well. I did run a business card through all the switches in case there was some kind of manufacturing residue. I installed the PBL high power coils, but then took them out and reinstalled the stock coils, so the solder is fresh. I double checked any molex connections in the front of the cabinet also, in case something got loose. I also reseated the connectors on the board. I think I've done everything short of taking the board off and reflowing the header pins.

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

Are you sure you used the correct plunger and link? Check the length of the assembly against your old. If you bought the wrong type itll be upwards of 1/4" shorter thus causing the flutter because it doesnt hit the coil stop.

I didnt rebuild the flippers. It was done prior to me owning it. It might be something I'll look into if nothing else helps.

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

I've never seen a LOTR before. Does it use normally open end of stroke switches? If so, capacitors are not needed on the switches.

Mine has Normally Closed EOS switches and they are adjusted to open at the end of the stroke.

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

According to the manual, this game uses low current Stern # 180-5149-00 end of stroke switches, normally closed. Low current EOS switches do not use capacitors on them. The flipper button cabinet switch is Stern # 180-5160-00 and is also low current type.

I have replaced the flipper switches with SW-10A-48, which is the replacement part for 180-5160-00 given by Marco (purchased from Pinball Life).

Even with the capacitor clipped, I get occasional flipper flutter/flipper not activating when I press the button. Seems to happen on the left side vs the right side. I suppose I could swap the coils to see if it follows, however it has happened on both side before also.

I replaced the diodes on the coils, with no improvement.

Do you think the flipper coil would be next? I haven't tested it, I understand you can test the resistance, but I'd have to brush up on the method and what to look for.

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

That is the WRONG switch! According to the picture of it and the text at Marco's website, the switch you bought is tungsten high current flipper button made for EM and early solid state games. Totally wrong for modern circuit board controlled flippers. Modern games need the low current gold flashed contacts (and NO CAPACITORS). Marco has that part cross reference wrong for the Stern number. If you can't get the correct gold flashed switch from the usual suppliers, then order it from your local Stern Pinball distributor's parts department.
Lets see pix of the end of stroke switches you presently have installed on your flipper assemblies. The EOS and flipper button switches must be GOLD Flashed for low current applications.

If that is indeed the case, it's big oops from Marco, as that was the source that I used to determine which switch to use. I typically get parts from Pinball Life or PB Resource.

Can you link something that would work? I'll get a pic of the EOS switches for you later today.

#15 4 years ago

This is what PB resource has for a switch
Looks like there is a capacitor installed also
They're also 20.00 a piece!
switch (resized).jpgswitch (resized).jpg

#18 4 years ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

If the previous person did this work (and clearly failed at it) you might as well check to ensure the plunger and link are the right ones and that the coil stop isn't mushroomed. If so you might as well order a flipper rebuild kit.

I was going to do this as my next step, and get some new flipper switches also. Looks like Pinball Life has the correct switches as well. Thing is, it looks like the flippers were recently rebuilt. The EOS switch looks pretty new and the mech looks relatively clean.

#19 4 years ago

I have a set of the Pinball Life high powered coils that I'll re-install to rule out a coil problem. Then my next step is to get new switches and try those.

#22 4 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

Well I'll be ....
that's the same switch used in my Metallica ... I would have sworn there were no capacitors on that[quoted image]

Thanks for confirming. I have 2 new flipper switches in my cart. Will try this next and get the right switches in. I also just read from another Pinsider that his game with APB (?) coils are doing the same, so I suspect it's not the coil. Hopefully this takes care of it.

#24 4 years ago
Quoted from pinmike:

Hi guys, is your LOTR an LE or just the original?

Original

#28 4 years ago

I installed the "paliney" style switches and it plays well so far. I haven't had any fluttering or delayed flips so hoping this did the trick.

https://www.pinballlife.com/stern-flipper-leaf-switch-single-contact.html

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.00
$ 79.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Pinball Life

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
10,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models

$ 39.50
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 18.95
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider FatPanda.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lotr-flipper-switch-capacitors-flipper-flutter?tu=FatPanda and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.