• Latest reply 11 years ago by APOLLO_13
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

lotr_2.JPG
lotr_1.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider blizz81.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 11 years ago

When I got my LOTR, it had some flipper issues - at the worst, the flippers did not respond to button presses. It seemed to start when a ball would hit the flipper bat, it would return to normal position/down, and progress to returning to normal position just when holding the button and nothing else happening.

I cleaned the contacts on the flipper leafs with alcohol. The left flipper, the contacts seemed pretty far away, so I bent them a bit closer together. That seemed to clear up any issues, but I have noticed very rarely that sometimes I'll press the button and the flipper won't respond.

Right flipper was still acting up, so I cleaned again and bent closer together. This seemed to help quite a bit, but I did notice that occasionally, when you have the flipper up and a ball hits it, now it will either return to the normal/down position, or sometimes it will make a quick "bat" and return up, swatting the ball weakly.

In the dedicated switch test, it shows the right flipper EOS switch until I move the flipper bat up. Left flipper, it never shows EOS. Both switches mirror the below. Is this common with Sterns? It seems the same on my RBION. I want to say from what I've read, EOS is usually closed until the flipper is engaged, then it opens, and this seems opposite. The first attachment is with the flipper down, second up.

I realize this might be two separate "issues". I've read some people have replaced the flipper button leaf switches with better contacts - does that seem to match my first issue? Should I replace the EOS switches as well? If replaced with Stern parts, would I be back in the same boat / are there optimal replacements for these on Sterns?

lotr_1.JPGlotr_1.JPG lotr_2.JPGlotr_2.JPG

#2 11 years ago

I failed to mention on the EOS on the left flipper, even with the flipper bat down, the contacts aren't making a connection, so that's why EOS never registers there.

#4 11 years ago

Is that right though, that the contacts should be making a connection / showing on dedicated switch test until the flipper is engaged? The vids I've seen on EOS have had them open by default.

#7 11 years ago

Gotcha, thanks guys.

You think the flipper bat mishaps sound like occasional poor connections on the flipper button leafs?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

10,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider blizz81.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lotr-flipper-questions?tu=blizz81 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.