• Latest reply 11 years ago by Pinoffski
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

04112012431.jpg

#1 11 years ago

Now I know what you guys mean when you say the machine goes nuts. Pretty cool! I wish you got to keep playing both balls though, hate modes when the flippers go dead. (Alien invasion, I'm looking in your direction)

Now to shoot for TABA!

#2 11 years ago

Congrats! It took me forever to destroy the ring for the first time. Then I did it twice more the following week. On to Valinor!

#3 11 years ago

I DTR'd in 1:01! Trying to get it under a minute.

The other fun thing to do is set DTR to 2 balls, the first shot gets held by the magnet, then with the 2nd shot you need to bang it out of the ring! Blast to do!

#4 11 years ago

DTR, TABA, FOTR mb..."these are a few of my favorite things" and it's why LoTR is my #1 all time favorite. Owned it for 7 years and still doesn't get old.

#5 11 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

DTR, TABA, FOTR mb..."these are a few of my favorite things" and it's why LoTR is my #1 all time favorite. Owned it for 7 years and still doesn't get old.

Yes sir! I have to agree! All the multiball modes are very clever.

#6 11 years ago

congrats, almost did TABA YESTERDAY, grrrrrrr

#7 11 years ago

congrats!! I did it the first time just about a month ago. Cool accomplishment feeling.

#8 11 years ago

I get TABA regularly but I put that down to upgraded flipper coils which makes the ring shot much easier I think.

To get to TABA just concentrate on hitting that ring shot to start the mode. It's always lit at the start of a ball. When a mode finishes you need to relight the mode start light by aiming for the white Elf lights. You need 3 but if you get a combo you can do it in 2 shots.

Now Valinor is another story altogether. I feel like I've come close occasionally (5 Elf gifts, 2 multiballs complete) but it's ROTK multiball that I've never managed to master.

#9 11 years ago

Did DTR today in 1.36. Did DTR planty of times but this was my quickest. Have got TABA once since I have owned it and never got anywhere near Valinor. One day maybe?

#10 11 years ago

I never get tired of that mode. And my wife requires I post her DTR time of 25.83 seconds.

#11 11 years ago
Quoted from paulohotline:

The other fun thing to do is set DTR to 2 balls, the first shot gets held by the magnet, then with the 2nd shot you need to bang it out of the ring! Blast to do

You mean that isn't standard? The machine I played on, I got the first ball to be held in the ring by the magnet. And then I choked under the pressure to hit it with the 2nd ball. I probably had at least 6 solids shots at it too.

#12 11 years ago
Quoted from captainadam_21:

You mean that isn't standard? The machine I played on, I got the first ball to be held in the ring by the magnet. And then I choked under the pressure to hit it with the 2nd ball. I probably had at least 6 solids shots at it too.

Mine was set to one ball DTR as well and I changed it to 2 ball. I also changed the FOTR multiball to include the cave troll sequence before balrog -- much better in my opinion.

Now if only my ring magnet worked. Performed the ring test last night -- all switches work, but the magnet is not activating. Will need to test the single coil test today. I'm really hoping that I don't have a board problem...

#13 11 years ago
Quoted from S37VEN:

Now if only my ring magnet worked. Performed the ring test last night -- all switches work, but the magnet is not activating. Will need to test the single coil test today. I'm really hoping that I don't have a board problem...

Check the fuse. When I bought my LOTR, the ring wasn't working. New fuse took care of the problem.

#14 11 years ago
Quoted from paulohotline:

The other fun thing to do is set DTR to 2 balls, the first shot gets held by the magnet, then with the 2nd shot you need to bang it out of the ring! Blast to do!

Mine is set to factory settings with two ball DTR. I bricked one that just nicked the first ball before I got a clean shot that knocked it out. That's why I was slightly disappointed that I couldn't play the two balls while the game did it's celebration, but I can see why they do that with all the coils firing, etc.

#15 11 years ago
Quoted from jarjarisgod:

Check the fuse. When I bought my LOTR, the ring wasn't working. New fuse took care of the problem.

I really hope you are right. Just watched a youtube video of a guy running through the ring magnet coil diagnostic. At the end of the video the machine told him to replace the I/O board.

#16 11 years ago

I just had to put the LE rom in my LOTR, the magnet would catch both balls and completely ruin my victory shot...thats great yours in working properly!

#17 11 years ago
Quoted from S37VEN:

I really hope you are right. Just watched a youtube video of a guy running through the ring magnet coil diagnostic. At the end of the video the machine told him to replace the I/O board.

I have not cracked open the manual yet to trace where the ring magnet coil mosfet is on the I/O board, but it may just need to be replaced. That does not require a complete replacement just yet Will check it out today.

#18 11 years ago

Thanks Paul - per the manual - ring magnet drive transitor (Q6), power line connection J10-P3, D.T. control line connect J8-P8. This diagnostic in the video on youtube has the guy checking voltage on J10-P4/5. So that's a bit confusing...

#19 11 years ago
Quoted from Zadom:

I never get tired of that mode. And my wife requires I post her DTR time of 25.83 seconds.

My best was 42 seconds when I owned the LE.

#20 11 years ago

Can someone tell me why when I use DTR 2-ball, both end up getting stuck in the ring?

#21 11 years ago

I also had my first DTR this week 1:22 I did not get much further though. It will come.

#22 11 years ago

2-Ball DTR is the only REAL way to go.

1-Ball is for wimps.

#23 11 years ago
Quoted from judremy:

Can someone tell me why when I use DTR 2-ball, both end up getting stuck in the ring?

Hard to explain, it may not be coming off the ramp and getting a clean hit on the captured ball, or a increase in voltage on the magnet? I burnt a fuse out on it and have since put in the LE game rom so its adjustable and a larger amp fuse. The balls can become magnetized but not so sure this has a major effect on the DTR issue.

#24 11 years ago

My best time is 25.98

04112012431.jpg04112012431.jpg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball
Protection
10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lotr-first-time-destroying-the-ring and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.