(Topic ID: 299354)

LOTR Display Issues With Color DMD. Troubleshooting steps?

By SantaEatsCheese

2 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 2 years ago

I have a LOTR that I picked up last month that I absolutely love. Everything was working great, but after I installed a color DMD I picked up new at Allentown I ran into some issues. The day after installation issues started to occur... infrequently at first, but now more and more often. The symptoms are that when I turn on the game, the Color DMD clearly powers on, but is black. If I open the machine up, then unplug and plug in the Stern display board power several times, the Color DMD gets signal and it works just fine. Upon visual inspection, the board looks fine. What would be the next troubleshooting steps in this situation? Should I be swapping back in the old DMD?

Thanks for the help and looking for ideas at this point.

The color DMD looks amazing on this game and I'd like to keep it if possible.

#2 2 years ago

Hey !

It sorta sounds like a bad connection. By plugging and unplugging maybe you're re-seating the wires in the connector ?

I'd say worse case you need to re-solder the pins on the board.

Maybe test the connector and pins for resistance using your multimeter. If there's a lot wouldn't it indicate a poor connection ?

I have't been inside of a lotr in awhile, maybe snap a few pics ?

#3 2 years ago
Quoted from JadedHesher:

Hey !
It sorta sounds like a bad connection. By plugging and unplugging maybe you're re-seating the wires in the connector ?
I'd say worse case you need to re-solder the pins on the board.
Maybe test the connector and pins for resistance using your multimeter. If there's a lot wouldn't it indicate a poor connection ?
I have't been inside of a lotr in awhile, maybe snap a few pics ?

Thanks,

I have found a sort of work around but am stumped as to what the problem could be. I have found that the power is 100% getting to the color DMD and it is working as advertised, but in order to get the video driver to work I have to flip the power button twice about 1/2 the time.

This leads me to be that it is not a connection issue but an issue on the Stern DMD/video board itself.

Symptom is, turn on machine, black lit up screen. Turn off and on, works fine. This happens about 1/2 the time.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Grand Rapids, MI
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Denver, CO
$ 12.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models

$ 12.95
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 8.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
West Chester, PA
$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 79.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Pinball Life

$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 39.50
€ 7.50
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lotr-display-issues-with-color-dmd-troubleshooting-steps?hl=jadedhesher and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.