(Topic ID: 206042)

LOTR - Display blanks out, acts weird then game resets

By EricHadley

6 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

I've been having some issues with my LOTR and I am stumped. While playing a game the DMD will randomly go blank and a few seconds later will return to normal. It will do that a few times during a game and then eventually the game will stop playing and the whole machine resets. So far I have done the following:

1) Confirmed all connectors are completely seated.
2) Replaced the ribbon cable from the CPU board to the display board.
3) Replaced the display ROM.
4) Replaced the display board.

None of that helped. Anyone have thoughts on what else to L@@K for? Thx

#2 6 years ago

Should always start with measuring voltages. In this case, what is the 5volts measuring?

1 week later
#3 6 years ago

ok, spent some time on this again this morning. I measured the 5v feed and it reads 4.96v
Let me spend some time listing out the mods on this game and then what I discovered this morning.

Mods:
1) 100% LED's
2) LED OCD
3) ColorDMD
4) Led Flipper Buttons
5) Path of the Dead, 3 lit up figures
6) Removed the fluorescent bulb and all of it's associated wiring and transformer, added LED interactive back glass panel. (Currently removed for access to troubleshoot)
7) Pinsound with Pinsound speakers

Discovered:
I removed the pinsound CPU adapter, ribbon cable and power to the Pinsound. Now the game plays fine, except I don't have any sound. Display never flakes out and game never resets. sooooo Why is the pinsound causing me trouble? Am I pulling too much power? Is the CPU adapter defective?

I also have a TSPP pretty much setup with all the same mods: LED's, LEDOCD, ColorDMD, LED Flipper Buttons, No fluorescent (Interactive LED board instead), and Pinsound with Pinsound Speakers and it works 100% fine.

#4 6 years ago

How/where did you measure the 5V? Measure DC voltage at the bottom of R114 on the IO power driver board. This is the +5V test point. If it's low, then it can be adjusted using the potentiometer at R116. I doubt that's the issue though, it's a pretty typical problem that the power drops between the IO power driver board and CPU/Sound board. Measure the 5V voltage on CN2 connector to see if it drops a lot, if it's close to 4.8-4.85V it's possible that it'll cause the reset. The usual culprit for the drop is the CN2 on the CPU / sound board and J16 on the I/O power driver board

#5 6 years ago

It's 5.04v at CN2

#6 6 years ago

My LOTR was resetting too and was fixed by simply cleaning (and eventually replacing) the flipper button switches. I never imagined such switch connections would cause a pinball to reset... Perhaps I should check my flipper EOS switches as well, now that I think of it....

#7 6 years ago

Mine recently started doing the same thing. Weird. Not all the time but enough to drive me crazy. I don't have many mods except a color dmd.

#8 6 years ago

So I added the Pinsound back in today 1 part at a time. CPU adapter first. Game played Fine. Added power to Pinsound, still played fine. Then added ribbon cable. Then I had issues again, of course adding the ribbon cable also enabled the sound again so it was driving the speakers, which I assume use a fair amount of power. But then I noticed the display would only flake out and the game reset in the path of the dead figures were on.....The are triggered by a switch on the VUK. So I unplugged the path of the dead mod and now the game is ok again. I assume I just have too much on the 5v channel. Is my only option to remove a mod? If so I guess the POTD figurines will have to go, sound and colordmd are far better.

#9 6 years ago

I still haven’t wired my POTD figures into anything yet, they still look great with the green from the 4 bulbs shining through them. I have the same setup mod-wise as you. Maybe just disconnect and keep them there? You could also try bypassing the whole switch thing and wiring directly, maybe trough wiring is giving you a short?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
10,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

€ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models

€ 7.50
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 79.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Pinball Life

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lotr-display-blanks-out-acts-weird-then-game-resets and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.