(Topic ID: 13303)

LOTR Destroy The Ring - record times?

By leaffan67

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

PXL_20230410_053146869 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1585 (resized).JPG
    P1020129.JPG
    DTR_Record.jpg
    dtr.jpeg
    DTR.jpg
    lotrscreen.gif
    There are 57 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 12 years ago

I am 33 seconds - which I assume is, well, just ok.
    However, the wife of a buddy is 12.8 seconds!!! Anyone beat that? DTR.jpgDTR.jpg

So it turns out I exaggerated! But, wow.

I got some commentary....
    Him: Honey, you are doing great!
    Her: Shut up, you are distracting me (as she missed the one shot that she missed!)

#2 12 years ago

34.8 was my best. Need that machine back.

NOW

#3 12 years ago

#4 12 years ago

1:16

12.8 is like maybe 1 or 2 missed shots....incredible.

#5 12 years ago
    Quoted from leaffan67:

However, the wife of a buddy is 12.8 seconds!!! Anyone beat that?

Hmm was that with a short plunge???

#6 12 years ago

I don't know a lot of details, other than I do know she missed one shot!
    A cool rule mod would be extra points for doing it super fast like this!

#7 12 years ago
    Quoted from leaffan67:

However, the wife of a buddy is 12.8 seconds!!! Anyone beat that?

Mine is 33.88. Gotta ask if the game was set to a one ball DTR or two ball DTR when she set that record. Regardless of setting, that is simply amazing!

#8 12 years ago

1:15:35 yep I suck.

#9 12 years ago

33.40, two ball

#10 12 years ago
    Quoted from bigdaddy07:

1:15:35 yep I suck.

But I am worse hahahahahah

2:11

#11 12 years ago

58 seconds, damn I thought that was decent. Time to go destroy some rings and get better.

#12 12 years ago

58 seconds too....not good

#13 12 years ago

I take my sweet ass time ...No sense in rushing or you will have to start all over again

#14 12 years ago

29 seconds, one ball DTR.

#15 12 years ago

I couldn't even beat that on vpin!

lotrscreen.giflotrscreen.gif

#16 12 years ago

37.46 With 2 ball DTR

Yes it's SO annoying if you drain during DTR! It's back to the start to do the three film multiballs all over again.

#17 12 years ago

I will try to get a photo of the time and the details of one ball or two.

#18 12 years ago
    Quoted from blizz81:

I couldn't even beat that on vpin!

Attachments lotrscreen.gif (299.8 KB, 0 downloads) 6 hours old

Is it hard to get this set up????

#19 12 years ago
    Quoted from RGR:

Is it hard to get this set up????

It's been a few years for me so I don't quite remember the steps, but I think it's just a matter of getting vpin, vpinmame, and the roms/tables in the right folders. Could probably search on here/the vpin forums for instructions.

#20 12 years ago

16.xx seconds on a friend's machine, I think? I know that I wasn't even the top guy. It was with a soft plunge and the first three shots (Legolas, Aragon, Gandalf) were combo'd. Those 3 shots were made in a matter of seconds.

That said, I've never come close again. I'm usually well over 30 seconds.

#21 12 years ago
    Quoted from pinmike:

I take my sweet ass time [] ...No sense in rushing or you will have to start all over again

Agreed, time is your friend.

#22 12 years ago

Sorry, still figuring out how this all works. I added a photo of the "World Record Time"???
    Confirmed "one ball".

#23 12 years ago

Nuttin' special here, 47.55. Two ball DTR.

#24 12 years ago

42 something

#25 12 years ago

33 here as well.

#26 12 years ago

HMmm how would 12.97 be possible if the ball falls from the ring and goes into the POTD?? It would take 4-5 secs to get out of there. Even if it went through the ring it wuld take 5 shots (including the supposed missed shot) then another back up there....

#27 12 years ago

I just destroyed the ring for the first time tonight!!! It took me 1:46. Pathetic I know, but I don't care. Destroying the ring and the aftermath are awesome when the game freaks out and goes crazy. Loved it!

TO VALINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORRRR!!!

#28 12 years ago
    Quoted from RGR:

HMmm how would 12.97 be possible if the ball falls from the ring and goes into the POTD?? It would take 4-5 secs to get out of there. Even if it went through the ring it wuld take 5 shots (including the supposed missed shot) then another back up there....

Well, like I said, when I did it (though I still wasn't close to 12 anything) the first three shots were combo'd. They couldn't have taken more than a couple seconds. In theory, if I bounce passed to the left flipper off the Gandalf shot, and made the Merry shot immediately after, the first four shots could be made in short time. And you could drop or flipper catch the Merry shot with your left flipper for a quick shot on the ring. Then it is just a matter of soft-plunging the second ball and taking an immediate shot at the ring. I don't think 12 seconds is out of the question, but things would have to go real well for ya.

#29 12 years ago

42.21 seconds is my best. Before that is was 2 minutes. Man I stink at making shots.

#30 12 years ago

I am yet to destroy the ring..but I just got the game tonight :p

#31 12 years ago

The fastest I ever did it by hand when writing it was right around 23 seconds. In my opinion, to get 13, the ring magnet would probably have to be broken. What would happen is the ball would come down the wireform while the opening display effect is still running, you make the 4 shots pretty quick, then shoot the magnet (which doesn't engage) and continue through the back where the ring gets killed instantly. That's actually technically a bug (should require a 2nd hit), but that's what would happen.

#32 12 years ago
    Quoted from pinball_keefer:

The fastest I ever did it by hand when writing it was right around 23 seconds. In my opinion, to get 13, the ring magnet would probably have to be broken. What would happen is the ball would come down the wireform while the opening display effect is still running, you make the 4 shots pretty quick, then shoot the magnet (which doesn't engage) and continue through the back where the ring gets killed instantly. That's actually technically a bug (should require a 2nd hit), but that's what would happen.

Watch this video from ~8:40 on. The last shot to the ring hangs in the magnet and a second ball is kicked out. It will NORMALLY auto-fire and you have to wait for it to make it's way back down. But if you're quick, you can soft plunge and get it on your right flipper much faster.

If you watch from 8:07 on you can actually see him combo the shots the same way I did, except that he blows the Gandalf shot. The ball rolls down the wire-frame, shot to Legolas, shot to Aragon and then it SHOULD have been a shot to Gandalf. Ideally, I suppose, you bounce pass off the Gandalf shot, make the Merry shot. Catch, shoot the ring. I'd be willing to be that the shots could all be made in less than 10 seconds, but maybe I'm being overly optimistic.

It's a lot like the Port Royal/Tortuga multi-ball in PoTC. You put a ball into the spinning disk and the game kicks out another with the intention of auto-firing it, which sends it to the top. If you're quick, however, you soft-plunge it before the auto-fire and can immediately take a shot from your right flipper without having to waste time waiting for it to make its way back down and/or get control. It increases your chances of putting 3 balls in there before the timer runs out dramatically.

#33 12 years ago

Yeah, when stating a DTR time you must ALWAYS state if it's 1-ball or 2-ball. 2-ball is the way I feel the game should be played. 1-ball is obviously far easier and quicker.

I have a 22 sec DTR time with 2-ball and IIRC that's only missing one shot, maybe two. The 12 sec times are insane if that's with 2-ball.

What happens on the plunge once "Gollum has the ring" is one of the big factors. Does it go to the lanes, around to the left flipper (ideal), into Orthanc, etc...

#34 12 years ago

my best is 34.00 sec.(it was 2 balls) 12.97 is pretty amazing, you can't miss one shot.

i'd be curious to see the setting on the machine.

#35 12 years ago
    Quoted from mechslave:

Yeah, when stating a DTR time you must ALWAYS state if it's 1-ball or 2-ball. 2-ball is the way I feel the game should be played. 1-ball is obviously far easier and quicker.

Can you explain what the difference is? I've owned my game for over a year and never realized that there was a 1 or 2 ball DTR. I just have mine on whatever the default is, I think.

#36 12 years ago
    Quoted from bigdaddy07:

Can you explain what the difference is? I've owned my game for over a year and never realized that there was a 1 or 2 ball DTR. I just have mine on whatever the default is, I think.

Sure. Once you hit the "Gollum has the Ring" shot with 2-ball play, the Ring holds the ball. Another ball is then plunged into play and you must shoot the Ring to knock the ball held by the Ring through to DTR.

I believe in 1-ball the "Gollum has the Ring" shot just goes through the Ring and returns to the right flipper for another shot through the Ring. Obviously far easier/quicker.

#37 12 years ago

Cool, that means mine is on 2 ball. I was worried for a minute that I may possibly suck worse than I thought I did already.

Thanks for the explanation mechslave.

#38 12 years ago
    Quoted from Outlane-Avoider:

37.46 With 2 ball DTR
    Yes it's SO annoying if you drain during DTR! It's back to the start to do the three film multiballs all over again.

Agree.

Love my LOTR but sometimes it frustrates the heck out of me!

My only criticism of the game is lack of humor. I hope when Hobbit is made they can get some funny call outs although understand that might be difficult as movie might not have funny quotes in it!

#39 12 years ago

Stopped by my friends house tonight and was playing some LoTR, when it dawned on me to check the DTR record. I snapped a quick picture. I knew my 16 seconds wasn't the fastest.

As far as 1 ball being FAR easier than 2 ball, I don't see it that way. It is easier, but not THAT much easier. We're talking about a soft plunge and a catch or bounce pass. Everything else is the same. Anyone who DOESN'T soft-plunge on 2 ball deserves their slower times, haha. 1 ball is definitely safer, but not so much faster that it would create a huge jump in times.

Regardless, this is the best time I've seen.

As far as humor in the Hobbit goes, I hope we don't see any. If they would have taken the "funny" bits in the LoTR movies with Gimli a bit further, it would have been Jar-jar Binks all over again, IMO. I'm perfectly cool with the lack of humor. The books weren't all that funny themselves.

dtr.jpegdtr.jpeg

3 months later
    #40 11 years ago

Just got 39.50 I only missed a couple shots those are some amazing times.

#41 11 years ago

21 seconds for me … BUT … I say this…
    I understand wanting to beat the record time to have initials posted … it’s your little bit of fame on that particular machine and a fun goal no doubt.
    I actually get much more enjoyment out it taking a long time to DTR … missing and just missing – then down to the last needed shot - barely saving from a drain just to miss again – two - three - four times. You’re tensed up - super focused – wary of losing all that work at the last second then BLAMO - you make it - or drain it.
    Long DTR sessions make me smile every time either way – it’s just plain fun.
    This old guy says this type of pinball “drama” is often much more fun than just seeing how quickly you can get it over with.

#42 11 years ago

35s on 2 ball is the best I did...and I felt like that was pretty good. 11.98s is pretty impressive!

#43 11 years ago

My wife DTR in 25.83 on two ball. She still holds a grudge for when I changed the batteries with the game off, losing her time. And I feel like two ball can be much harder than single ball. I've hit the ball and it not fall out a lot. You have to hit it just right on my machine.

#44 11 years ago

Yea mine was on 2ball..I knocked it out first try...but it has been temperamental before

11 months later
    #45 10 years ago

33.88 earlier this evening. I've owned the game for 5 days now so was thrilled just to complete it!

#46 10 years ago
    Quoted from Chambahz:

33.88 earlier this evening. I've owned the game for 5 days now so was thrilled just to complete it!

Congrats!

There is a much newer thread than this one somewhere...

#47 10 years ago

I wish you could set it that you have to complete all 3 multiballs completely before attempting dtr. It's a fun mode but there are games I do it twice in a game and not even close to valinor. Anyone know of a setting? Yes I have it on 2 ball, the way it's intended.

#48 10 years ago
    Quoted from BriGuy5:

I wish you could set it that you have to complete all 3 multiballs completely before attempting dtr. It's a fun mode but there are games I do it twice in a game and not even close to valinor. Anyone know of a setting? Yes I have it on 2 ball, the way it's intended.

I think it's great to have a part victory available. Valinor seems like a long way off. I have yet to complete any multiball, though I'm getting better at the bridge crossing.

#49 10 years ago

dubious i iknow but 3:48 sec......pretty tough to keep it going that long while actually trying and then finally getting it! lol

#50 10 years ago
    Quoted from Chambahz:

I think it's great to have a part victory available. Valinor seems like a long way off. I have yet to complete any multiball, though I'm getting better at the bridge crossing.

I've completed all but rotk. You'll really enjoy when you beat them, pretty great stuff. Not sure how many levels rotk takes to beat, but I think I remember getting to 6 or 7 and still not completing it. Two towers is the best with Gandalf call outs. I smile every time.

There are 57 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lotr-destroy-the-ring-record-times and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.