• Topic is favorited by 11 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

lotringsw.PNG

#1 10 years ago

Hi.
I think I may be having issues at this point in the game.

1. After you complete all movie multi-balls, destroy the ring lights up - check.
2. You shoot the 4 lit shots (left ramp, Gandalf, right ramp, right orbit) - check.
3. Lastly, you shoot the ring ramp..... HOW MANY TIMES??

This is where my machine seems to be having all kinds of issues. I can get the ring-ramp shot lit to destroy the ring, but no matter how many times I shoot, the ring never gets destroyed! I have even tried manually "throwing" the ball through...nothing.

What is wrong? I do not understand? I go through ring test in the menu (I don't know what is supposed to happen during this) but no error messages come up?

Any ideas would be welcome!

Thanks
Kyle

#2 10 years ago

I don't know if anything is wrong.

I would go into switch test and roll a ball up the ramp to be sure the spinner works and roll one into the ring to be sure the optos work.

The optos likely plug onto a small board nearby, reseat the opto connectors a couple times will help.

LTG : )

#3 10 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I would go into switch test and roll a ball up the ramp to be sure the spinner works and roll one into the ring to be sure the optos work.
The optos likely plug onto a small board nearby, reseat the opto connectors a couple times will help.
LTG : )

The spinner works for sure....but I will check the optos tonight....
Thanks

#4 10 years ago

There's a switch behind the ring as well, it's only purpose is to detect the Destroy the Ring shot. sounds like that one is bad or needs some adjustment.

#5 10 years ago

here it is

lotringsw.PNGlotringsw.PNG

#6 10 years ago

make sure switch 4 in the diagram above is working

#7 10 years ago

Check fuse 20.

1 month later
#8 10 years ago
Quoted from Mank:

Check fuse 20.

A little late in responding....but thank you! That was exactly it! I should know better...ALWAYS CHECK THE FUSES!! Doh!
Thanks again!

#9 10 years ago

Moved to technical help sub forum for future reference. Glad you found an answer to your question and pinside was able to help you.

#10 10 years ago

Keep in mind though that the switch above is also a main culprit for that problem as well. Even though for yours it was the fuse, mine had the same problem and it was the switch. It was stuck on & never registered. So if you started destroy the ring your ball was effectively over cuz the mode could never finish nor timeout. Can't do anything else until ball drained.

But thanks to this thread I'll know to check fuse 20 if it happens again. Thanks for the tip.

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from Ruger:

Keep in mind though that the switch above is also a main culprit for that problem as well. Even though for yours it was the fuse, mine had the same problem and it was the switch. It was stuck on & never registered. So if you started destroy the ring your ball was effectively over cuz the mode could never finish nor timeout. Can't do anything else until ball drained.
But thanks to this thread I'll know to check fuse 20 if it happens again. Thanks for the tip.

DAMNIT!! LOL! My fuse was blown - yes. I assumed it was the culprit...just tried my game - STUCK ON DESTROY RING!! I do not understand? In my switch test, the switch appears to be working (in that it registers when I tap it down)...I don't understand!!! Time to sell....

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from hollywood:

(in that it registers when I tap it down)

Test the switch by rolling a ball through the trough. It could be working just not adjusted correctly.
It should register when switch arm is moved up by the ball.

2 months later
#13 10 years ago

This thread was very informative, and I tried everything in it. To no avail! Here is what's happening with mine.

As per above, can make all the shots including the second last one where Gollum is knocked over the cliff but hanging on. After that, the magnet stops working all together.

I have done switch tests, opto's read fine, and roll the ball through the ring, the switch in the back registers. Changed fuses at least 4 times (3 5A SB, 1 4A SB), all with the same result after I used my fingers to get to Destroy the Ring.

Very frustrating!! Any other suggestions? BTW, it doesn't blow the fuse. I pulled them and fuse was just fine.

Thanks for any help.....I'm desperate!!

#14 10 years ago

mine was the switch.

the switch was working fine, but it was not adjusted properly so when the ball would shoot past the switch it was not making contact. do what the others have suggested and push the ball through the ring. see if the switch registers. i believe that is your problem.

#15 10 years ago

One thing not mentioned is there is a game play setting in which you can choose "one ball DTR" or "2 ball DTR". If you have one ball DTR selected the magnet will not activate during DTR. I prefer 2 ball DTR as it was intended, but be aware! If you have it set to 2 ball and a slow roller goes up and both balls get stuck in the ring magnet, your only choice is to immediately reach down and turn the game off. Otherwise you will blow the fuse, or worse, the transistor.

#16 10 years ago

Thanks for the responses Nmeun and LOTR. I've tried those two things already.

Breath, as for the transistor, I'm thinking that must be the only thing that I haven't checked essentially because I'm a newbie, have no idea which one to check and how I would replace it. I was reading in another thread about the transistor and replacing it with one from PBL (which I actually just ordered from PBL!). How complex is it to swap out the transistor? And could it be the transistor if all the shots to the ring are registering (and being sucked in) are working with the exception of the Destroy shot?

#17 10 years ago

The transistor is pretty simple if you have any experience soldering on PCB's. If not, I wouldn't recommend it. BUT, your transistor should be fine if the magnet works during the other times.

Sometimes strange problems can be fixed by doing a factory reset. Note that you will lose all your audits and high scores, but it is worth a try. Make sure you do factory reset, not a factory install.

#18 10 years ago

The switch seems to be a major problem on these. Took me a long time to realize and I could not understand why I could not destroy ring. The two switches in the ring got me. Easy fix and now works great.

#19 10 years ago

Jorge, two switches in the ring?? The opto and the one in the trough right?? Or am I missing something?

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from Bigbossfan:

Breath, as for the transistor, I'm thinking that must be the only thing that I haven't checked essentially because I'm a newbie, have no idea which one to check and how I would replace it. ?

For the record, the transistor is q6. My fuse blew two weeks ago for the first time ever. Replaced it, all good so far. Make sure you have 4a fuse, not 3a. In some threads, people are using 5a.

The shots will still register even if magnet is not working.

#21 10 years ago
Quoted from Bigbossfan:

Jorge, two switches in the ring?? The opto and the one in the trough right?? Or am I missing something?

I believe you are right. One switch only works to destroy the ring. It was a while ago that I fixed it. I have the manual at home and can check. I also agree about the fuse but that is more of a problem if the magnet in the ring is not working. Thanks, Mike

#22 10 years ago
Quoted from jorge5240:

I believe you are right. One switch only works to destroy the ring. It was a while ago that I fixed it. I have the manual at home and can check. I also agree about the fuse but that is more of a problem if the magnet in the ring is not working. Thanks, Mike

What would cause a magnet to stop working? I started this thread and still haven't fixed my game

#23 10 years ago

Read what I wrote, fuse or transistor.

#24 10 years ago
Quoted from hollywood:

What would cause a magnet to stop working? I started this thread and still haven't fixed my game

I would check the fuse for the magnet. I know they had problems with the original fuses blowing. My ring magnet would not work when I got the game and it was in fact the fuse. I hope that helps.

#25 10 years ago

I've replaced the fuse.....in the new year I will figure it out for sure. Thanks jorge

#26 10 years ago

I know it has been mentioned already....
Are you positive that the spinner switch is working?
That switch is what turns the magnet on.
This switch is easily hit with air balls.
It maybe worth a double check. (in switch test)
So to clear it up-
1. Spinner switch turns on magnet.
2. Ring opto starts modes
3. Switch in the trough completes "Destroy the Ring"
I hope this helps

#27 10 years ago
Quoted from Bigbossfan:

As per above, can make all the shots including the second last one where Gollum is knocked over the cliff but hanging on. After that, the magnet stops working all together.
BTW, it doesn't blow the fuse. I pulled them and fuse was just fine.

Isn't that what's supposed to happen?

On mine (I have the setting in which the first ball is released onto the playfield, for saving the fuse) you start DTR, then shoot 4 shots, then the first ball into the ring. The ring catches it using the magnet. Then throws it back onto the playfield.

But then, the 2nd shot, the player must shoot through the ring without any help from the magnet (it stays off, making the shot more difficult).

Am I understanding you correctly this is what happens on your machine as well?

#28 10 years ago

Yes Richard. But at one point the magnet was activating for the destroy shot. Now it doesn't. Any shot close to the ring just seems to bounce off now.

#29 10 years ago

I'm going from memory here, but you might check the spinner to see if it is returning to "home" position rather than remaining"flipped" 180 degrees.

#30 10 years ago

i went up a level for the fuse for the magnet. Helps, as the magnet sometimes blows the fuse even from normal operation. Going up a level on the Amps stops this from happening. Havn't had a problem with mine since. But the magnet not working shouldn't effect the destroy the ring from being completed. That would be the switch in the back not registering. Roll the ball through it and make sure the ball is making it click. Might be too much sloop in it.

#31 10 years ago

I also have an issue. First I have a 5A fuse after blowing a 4A shortly after getting the game (2 yrs ago). magnet works fine until destroy the ring. Its on the last shot, where the ball just cannot go through the ring as if the magnet is stopping it and just bounces forward. All shots prior and leading up to that last shot work perfectly.
Any suggestions?

#32 10 years ago

For the second shot to the ring the magnet does not come on. To destroy the ring the ball must cleanly pass through the ring which requires a centered shot since the magnet does not pull it through.

Some of you that are having problems may need to adjust the ramp to get it aligned with the ring. It takes some trial and error to get it right. Look to see where the ball is hitting the funnel to bounce off.

#33 10 years ago

yes, that ball has to hit dead on. If it hits to the side. Sometimes the ball will rock back and forth. and roll out the front. Then you have to get the ball to launch through the hole to finish it off. If it's too much of a PIA to figure out, you can just turn off the mode that holds the first ball.

#34 10 years ago

Some info on the ring shot that might help:
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lotr-ring-shot-help

#35 10 years ago

Thanks all above. Maybe I didn't describe properly. It's like a force field. The ball on the last shot, a forceful shot will just not even make it thru the ring. It's blocked by the magnetism of the ring.

#36 10 years ago
Quoted from Vyzer2:

Thanks all above. Maybe I didn't describe properly. It's like a force field. The ball on the last shot, a forceful shot will just not even make it thru the ring. It's blocked by the magnetism of the ring.

I would suggest taking the glass off and quickly by hand getting to the DTR mode and seeing if the ring accepts the ball when you put it there with your hand.

11 months later
#37 9 years ago

I have a LOTR LE, can't seem to find fuse 20. Is it fuse 20 for the LE? or is it a different fuse number?

#38 9 years ago
Quoted from Animal:

I have a LOTR LE, can't seem to find fuse 20. Is it fuse 20 for the LE? or is it a different fuse number?

The LEs have different fuse numbers.

#39 9 years ago

I had exactly the same problem when I first got my game. Thought I did not understand the rules. Locked the ball then knocked it out and never destroyed the ring

When I finally found the roll over switch in the trough where the ball re-enters the play field I tested it multiple times with my finger and it worked. But then realized the ball rolling under it was not triggering it. Needed to be adjusted (bent). Took care of the problem.

#40 9 years ago
Quoted from Jenk540i:

I had exactly the same problem when I first got my game. Thought I did not understand the rules. Locked the ball then knocked it out and never destroyed the ring
When I finally found the roll over switch in the trough where the ball re-enters the play field I tested it multiple times with my finger and it worked. But then realized the ball rolling under it was not triggering it. Needed to be adjusted (bent). Took care of the problem.

I bent it down and its now working too. Thanks brother...

#41 9 years ago

Just played 2 ball dtr tonight. Knocked the ball out of the ring but not through it. Had 2 balls going and relocked a ball. Knocked that one out but not through again. Then I lost one ball and dtr ended. Going back to 1 ball dtr. Bummed because the concept of 2 ball is great but the practical application of it leaves a lot to be desired. Had 5 gifts going too. Epic game but disappointing in the end.

#42 9 years ago

Bummer. I have my DTR set on 2-ball and no problems ever. Something must need to be adjusted I'm just not the right guy to ask.

#43 9 years ago

Make sure that your spinner is calibrated properly if 2 ball DTR isn't working. An improperly calibrated spinner will steal momentum from the ball and make the final shot on 2 ball DTR nearly impossible.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
10,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods
Backbox
€ 69.00
Pinball Machine
Multiball mods
Pinball Machine
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply
Decals
$ 8.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball
Protection
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz
Other
$ 8.50
Lighting - Led
Pinball Haus
Led
10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Little River, SC
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Displays
Retrocity
Displays
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods
Toys/Add-ons
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds
Toys/Add-ons
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds
Toys/Add-ons
$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods
Boards
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lotr-destroy-the-ring-question and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.