Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 56 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by CookyJar
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cookyjar.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 9 years ago

So the right flipper on my LOTR died last night. I checked the fuse and it was fine, so I'm thinking my transistor went. Which I've read is common with Stern games.

How do I go about testing the transistor with my DMM?

#4 9 years ago

Cool. Thanks for the info.

Does Radioshack carry the IRL540N (I couldn't find it list in there stock) or do I have to order online?

#6 9 years ago

Does the transistor have to be off board to test, or can it be tested on the board? I thought I remembered reading somewhere that it had to be off board.

#8 9 years ago

Thanks. Will test tonight when I get home.

#9 9 years ago

Did a test on both Q15 and Q16.

On Q15 with one lead on center I get a reading of .489 off of only one outside lead the other reads nothing.

On Q16 with one lead on center I get a reading of .014 off both outside leads.

Before testing I checked the right flipper fuse again and put a new fuse in which promptly blew before even one flip could be completed.

#12 9 years ago

It doesn't even energize it just blows on power up or game start.

#16 9 years ago

Will check the diode on the coil also, just to be sure. Then I'll order a few of the IRL540s, going to need more fuses as well since I'm down to my last 3amp 250V slow blow.

Thanks for the help, will report back after replacing the transistors. Though I am nervous about doing circuit board soldering, I've mainly only done coil soldering, etc. on EMs.

#17 9 years ago

How do I check the resistance on the coil?

#18 9 years ago

Got a .01 reading on both the right and left flipper coil. Tried the same test on my Williams games flipper coils and got a .14 reading on both coils.

#22 9 years ago

Yep, the coils use diodes. Strange that the LE does not.

Just ordered the more robust IRL540s since that seems to be the problem. Might see if a friend can do the solder work as he's more experience at board repair then I am.

4 weeks later
#23 9 years ago

Help.

Ok, finally got around to replacing the Q16 right flipper transistor and successfully installed the IRL540 transistor (New baby takes away a lot of repair time). Tested the new transistor before putting board back in the machine. With one lead on the center I got a reading of .489 on one outside lead and nothing on the other lead. This matches the reading a receive off the working Q15 transistor.

I then put the board back in the machine, put a new flipper fuse in, power up the machine and crossed my fingers. Sadly the right flipper fuse blows without so much as a flip. I then test the Q-16 transistor which now reads .379 on one outside lead and .379 on the other lead. So it looks like whatever the problem is, it has now blown the new transistor. Which is now reading incorrectly

I've tested the diode (multimeter set on continuity) on both flippers and get the same reading so that seems good.

Any ideas?

#24 9 years ago

Morning bump.

#28 9 years ago

Thanks for the tips. Will try removing the flipper coil and see if the fuse still blows.

#29 9 years ago

Hopefully will get to it tonite after family bbq

#32 9 years ago

When desoldering one of the coil lugs does it matter which?

#37 9 years ago

Yes. My initial tests were on the transistor which looked to be bad (and seems to happen often with Stern games). Replaced said transistor and same problem of flipper not working and blowing flipper fuse continued to happen.

Finally have the time to desolder the flipper coil and test tonight.

#38 9 years ago

I set the multimeter to 200 ohm and I get the following readings:

L flipper coil soldered - 5.0
R flipper coil soldered - 3.3

L flipper coil unsoldered - untested (didn't want to unsolder if not necessary)
R flipper coil unsoldered - 1.5

If I cut the diode on the left flipper will this determine if it's the coil or the diode?

#40 9 years ago

Replaced the fuse and booted game with the right flipper coil unsoldered. The fuse did not blow, so it looks like it's the coil.

Since I already replaced the transistor before testing the coil, I hope that I didn't mess up the new transistor.

#42 9 years ago

Thanks, will pull the board tomorrow and test the transistor again to see if it's been open/shorted. Going to order a new coil in the meanwhile from Pinball life.

#45 9 years ago

Pulled board out (just easier to test that way) and got the following reading on the flipper transistors with multimeter set on diode:

Q-15 (working flipper) - lead on center and outside leg- .553, lead on center and other outside leg- 0

Q-16 (non-working flipper) - lead on center and outside leg- .295, lead on center and other outside leg- .301

#47 9 years ago

When I originally installed the new transistor in Q-16 (before putting board back in an powering up) I had the following reading:

Q-16 (non-working flipper) - lead on center and outside leg- .489, lead on center and other outside leg- 0

#48 9 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

I think that is fine, it would be closer to 0 if there was a short, and with the coil in circuit the resistance would be different.

The transistor readings where with the board out of the machine. Does that make a difference?

#50 9 years ago

Yeah, I bought a few when I ordered just in case. Looks like it's just in case.

#51 9 years ago

Putting in new transistor, just waiting for new coil to arrive (hopefully by Sat.). Hopefully this will work. I'll report back once complete.

#52 9 years ago

Success! Installed the new flipper coil and another new transistor and she works!

Tested the diode on the old coil and got continuity both ways so it looks like it might just have been the diode. Oh well, just happy the machine is up and running again.

Thanks to all for the help!

#56 9 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

"You have done very well...."

LOL. Still haven't gotten to Valinor yet.

Quoted from cody_chunn:

Did you clip it off to test? The coil has much less resistance than the diode so you will get continuity both ways.

Yep, clipped it off when testing.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 39.50
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

9,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Eau Claire, WI
Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Denver, CO
10,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
$ 18.95
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 12.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Pinball Life

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

€ 7.50
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cookyjar.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lotr-dead-flipper-question?tu=cookyjar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.