20170415_153730 (resized).jpg
20170414_163050_HDR (resized).jpg
20170414_163108 (resized).jpg
IMG_8441 (resized).JPG
IMG_8440 (resized).JPG
20170414_154038 (resized).jpg
20170414_153927 (resized).jpg
20170414_091555 (resized).jpg
There are 64 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 7 years ago

Hi Guys,
You could have seen this thread about me a lotr. Just had a chance today to go an pick up the game. Long story short, I get there and this is what I find. Game was entirely secure on the pallette and you can tell from the packing job that this happened well after the game left the guys garage. Needless to say I felt defeated at the time but I did have the game insured.

So looking for costs of repair. I told the guy it was an easy $1K but now I need to justify that price.
1) I need to know who does silkscreenings prints so I can get a cost evaluation
2) I know for a fact now that I will have to change the T-molding and would need to find a place that carries gold molding. Will have to change all of it so it matches 100%
3)will need to remove decal, sand the backbox, bondo, prime, paint 3 coats and then reapply said new silkscreened decal.

4) how will the restoration affect the value of this game

Can anyone help with numbers and if they know someone for the parts I need. I can do the rst of the stuff but I know it will take me at least 10 hours to get this shit done.

#grailpin #fail Lord of the Rings

20170414_091555 (resized).jpg20170414_091555 (resized).jpg

#2 7 years ago

Man, that sucks.

I think LOTR was screen printed so if you put a decal on one side, it will not match as they look very different due to resolution etc.

Good luck with it.

#3 7 years ago

Yeah that's why I'm going to get it it silkscreened. I'll scan the side, fix the graphics (would need someone to take a close up picture of that area) and then get it silkscreened with the 4 color plates. CYMK.

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

Hi Guys,
You could have seen this thread about me a lotr. Just had a chance today to go an pick up the game. Long story short, I get there and this is what I find. Game was entirely secure on the pallette and you can tell from the packing job that this happened well after the game left the guys garage. Needless to say I felt defeated at the time but I did have the game insured.
So looking for costs of repair. I told the guy it was an easy $1K but now I need to justify that price.
1) I need to know who does silkscreenings prints so I can get a cost evaluation
2) I know for a fact now that I will have to change the T-molding and would need to find a place that carries gold molding. Will have to change all of it so it matches 100%
3)will need to remove decal, sand the backbox, bondo, prime, paint 3 coats and then reapply said new silkscreened decal.
4) how will the restoration affect the value of this game
Can anyone help with numbers and if they know someone for the parts I need. I can do the rst of the stuff but I know it will take me at least 10 hours to get this shit done.
#grailpin #fail Lord of the Rings

AS someone said above. You are going to have to decal the whole machine to make it look right. or find a new head for it. I doubt Stern still has one because I think I bought the last one a few years ago to help another guy out who had a similar issue. as for Tmoding Try t-molding.com That is Who I used for some of the more strange colors. Also could check to see If Stern still stocks it.

Who was the freight carrier?

#5 7 years ago

So sorry to see that happen.

#6 7 years ago

Is this the t-molding you have on the game? It appears to be the same as what was put on the LEs.

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/545-5883-18

#8 7 years ago

That's an awful pic, no scale, can't even tell what I'm looking at.

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from sed6:

The damage is on the folded backbox.

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from sed6:

It's the side of the backbox. Scale wise you are looking at a gouge the size of 4 pinballs lined side by side.

#11 7 years ago

I hope they used more than a thin Amazon box to protect that thing!

#12 7 years ago

How deep are those gouges? Can't really tell from the pic, are you going to have to use wood filler?

#13 7 years ago

1/8" approx.

Quoted from teekee:

I hope they used more than a thin Amazon box to protect that thing!

The game was on a 48x48 palette. These really had to want to hit this game.

#14 7 years ago

1/8" approx.

The game was on a 48x48 palette. These really had to want to hit this game.

Shame... packing blankets with a good outer shell of cardboard (real cardboard not Amazon cardboard) would have prevented this damage.

#15 7 years ago

Anyone care to guesstimate the cost of stripping the paint and putting up a new decal, bondo the hole etc...

#16 7 years ago

Anyone care to guesstimate the cost of stripping the paint and putting up a new decal, bondo the hole etc...

Where are you going to get a decal that Stern never made?

#17 7 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

RetroRefurbs has some in stock
http://www.retrorefurbs.com/shop/lord-of-the-rings-pinball-cabinet-decals/

#18 7 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

I would scan the side. Fix the image with a high res scan that someone as kindly said they would provide. I would then split the new restored graphic on 4 plates to get 4 screens done. Cyan / Magenta / Yellow / Black so that this thing could be silkscreened direct on the painted wood for 100% authencity.

#19 7 years ago

My problem with this is that the scan will look different then the rest of the game. Here is my estimate sheet. People can comment. Estimate is in CAD.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1V83oqdbNigcNjzu7c80GnrYxT408XDi-LSsatAvWZRA/edit?usp=sharing

#20 7 years ago

I would scan the side. Fix the image with a high res scan that someone as kindly said they would provide. I would then split the new restored graphic on 4 plates to get 4 screens done. Cyan / Magenta / Yellow / Black so that this thing could be silkscreened direct on the painted wood for 100% authencity.

How much does that cost? I would think that would be cost prohibitive for a single game?

#22 7 years ago

Hate to say it but your wasting your time on this endeavor. They will give you a specified amount for the damage or keep the game and pay you what you insured it for or only a price per pound if you did not insure it. It's a lotr, in no way does it make sense to rescreen this game. If it is going to bother you a lot, sell this one and find a replacement game. I've been down the insurance road with shippers, it generally doesn't end well for the property owner.

#23 7 years ago
Quoted from inhomearcades:

Hate to say it but your wasting your time on this endeavor. They will give you a specified amount for the damage or keep the game and pay you what you insured it for or only a price per pound if you did not insure it. It's a lotr, in no way does it make sense to rescreen this game. If it is going to bother you a lot, sell this one and find a replacement game. I've been down the insurance road with shippers, it generally doesn't end well for the property owner.

Thats why I asked which shipper. Any of the major Freight carriers on a Used game Coverage is Pennies per pound. Unless as you said you add coverage. But more and more insurance coverage is starting to exclude Pinballs and Coin op games and you don't find that out until you read the fine print.

#24 7 years ago

My problem with this is that the scan will look different then the rest of the game. Here is my estimate sheet. People can comment. Estimate is in CAD.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1V83oqdbNigcNjzu7c80GnrYxT408XDi-LSsatAvWZRA/edit?usp=sharing

Increase Hourly rate to $99/HR

Add 1 More hour to Sanding (Im Assuming you are only doing the one side?)

Change Cleaning Room to Prep Time

Drop Depreciation of game.. They won't pay it. Or they will opt to just pay it and nothing else.

JJ

#25 7 years ago

I added 4000US in additional coverage in case something like this would happen.

#26 7 years ago

Wrap a pin in shipping blankets for pete's sake. That's awful.

I wouldn't buy a pin unless seller agreed to do that at least. So easy.

#27 7 years ago

Tha last playfield I got was wrapped in a blanket and 2 layers of cardboard. That was only a playfield.

#28 7 years ago

Ouch...sorry to see that happen...Its easier to get to Valinor than it will be to get them to pay $2400+...

#29 7 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

Ouch...sorry to see that happen...Its easier to get to Valinor than it will be to get them to pay $2400+...

Most likely.

#30 7 years ago
Quoted from Gexchange:

Drop Depreciation of game.. They won't pay it. Or they will opt to just pay it and nothing else.
JJ

I ment it more in the sense that even when everything is done game will be worth less because of the fix

#31 7 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

It's been 2 years now and still haven't made it.

#32 7 years ago

I added 4000US in additional coverage in case something like this would happen.

You could have covered it for double, does not mean they won't do market research and see what something like this sells for. They will allocate a percentage to the damage of the market value and that will be it. If it were me, I would push for them to just take the machine and get your money back out of it and find a new one. You will be better off in the long run.

#33 7 years ago
Quoted from inhomearcades:

You could have covered it for double, does not mean they won't do market research and see what something like this sells for. They will allocate a percentage to the damage of the market value and that will be it. If it were me, I would push for them to just take the machine and get your money back out of it and find a new one. You will be better off in the long run.

Would have, could have, should have....easy when you are not on the end.

#34 7 years ago

That sucks

If I were in your shoes I'd be pissed but...

IMO your best bet is to just fill it & touchup to match as best as you can while receiving some type of compensation from the shipper to offset its new reduced value. Put it between 2 games, buy a color DMD & FYI T-molding is cheap.

#35 7 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

That sucks
If I were in your shoes I'd be pissed but...
IMO your best bet is to just fill it & touchup to match as best as you can while receiving some type of compensation from the shipper to offset its new reduced value. Put it between 2 games, buy a color DMD & FYI T-molding is cheap.

Great advice and i have considered this but what would you fill the damage with? Ive taken a closer look at the damage and it was not done by a forklift. This damage has about 1000 pits so something was either placed on the palette beside the game or fell on the game during transport and proceeded pounding it 1000s of time.

20170414_153927 (resized).jpg20170414_153927 (resized).jpg

20170414_154038 (resized).jpg20170414_154038 (resized).jpg

#36 7 years ago

If you decided to get the decals- i'd love to see what it turns out like if you do the whole cabinet. LotR with High Res art decals sounds like an improvement over the low res screen printing it came with. Ive considered getting a set for mine.

good luck

#37 7 years ago

. . .something was either placed on the palette beside the game or fell on the game during transport and proceeded pounding it 1000s of time.

Seriously, whoever packed that machine should take at least some, if not all, responsibility for the damage. I say that based on the assumption that a used Amazon box was the extent of prevention.

ETA: I looked again, there was at least something besides Saran Wrap where the damage occurred, yes?

#38 7 years ago

Im not going to place the blame on the nice guys who helped me get this game from chicago to destination. The sole responsibilty lies with the shipper. Something else in travel was not secured properly and fell on the game. You are placing blame jn the wrong direction. Yes there coukd have been more cardboard but in the end i saw the packing and didnt insist on more. The palette had a foot clearance all around the game.

#39 7 years ago

The sole responsibilty lies with the shipper. . . .i saw the packing and didnt insist on more.

Okie dokie.

#40 7 years ago

And myself. Forgot to mention that point

#41 7 years ago

Great advice and i have considered this but what would you fill the damage with? Ive taken a closer look at the damage and it was not done by a forklift. This damage has about 1000 pits so something was either placed on the palette beside the game or fell on the game during transport and proceeded pounding it 1000s of time.

Id light sand it fill the divots with bondo and sand smooth, apply a coat of black and get a decal. That sucks, but at least its on the head, in a lineup once fixed if you didn't know it was there you wouldn't notice it.

I think devaluation would depend on how nice the machine was, players machine, not much difference, mint/cq would be a bit though.

Marco sells t molding thats close, get the full amount thought since its not perfect:
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/545-5883-18

#42 7 years ago

4 moving blankets, plenty of corner board and 4 double wall boxes were used here. Even if your game was wrapped like this, you would have had some damage. It would have not been nearly as bad but it would have caused damage. No matter how well you wrap them, shippers will find a way to damage them. It's a risk we all take. It sucks but not the end of the world. If you sold the game and bought a new one to replace it, I think you will find that will be the least stressful approach to this situation.

IMG_8440 (resized).JPGIMG_8440 (resized).JPG
IMG_8441 (resized).JPGIMG_8441 (resized).JPG

#43 7 years ago

Game was huo in near mint condition. This game never saw an arcade. I think thats whats hurts more about it. Apart from the head the other side is mint like that.

20170414_163108 (resized).jpg20170414_163108 (resized).jpg
20170414_163050_HDR (resized).jpg20170414_163050_HDR (resized).jpg

#44 7 years ago

Cheered myself up a little today and installed some leds. Work in progress. Miror blades at some point or the lotr custom side decals sold here... thoughts?

20170415_153730 (resized).jpg20170415_153730 (resized).jpg

#45 7 years ago

The wear on the game almost look like they were caused by ratchet straps.

#46 7 years ago
Quoted from denmark71:

The wear on the game almost look like they were caused by ratchet straps.

That could be it if they secured it to the wall of the transport and put the clip facing the backbox. The pits could be the clips continuously hitti g the head.

#47 7 years ago

Have you checked to see if a good airbrush graphic artist in your area could do something with this?

#48 7 years ago
Quoted from lb1:

Have you checked to see if a good airbrush graphic artist in your area could do something with this?

I know a few. Still need to patch the damn thing. Ill check that avenue if it gets to that.

#49 7 years ago

Wait, you added the rainbow puke??

#50 7 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

You'd be surprised...I got paid out nearly that much on my Jackbot that got flipped off a pallet and they shattered the glass in... thank god the guy I bought it from knew what the hell he was doing in terms of documentation and everything dealing with filing these claims.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 18.95
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 8.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
10,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
$ 25.00
$ 79.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Pinball Life

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 12.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 64 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lotr-damaged-in-shipping/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.