Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by CaptainNeo
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

I liked the POTD mod people have been doing, but I wanted the lights on the figures to light up for the corresponding lane. Plus I added UV LEDs for each figure. Used the Pinbits top plate and bought 4 figures off ebay. Wired each one up in conjunction with the back light board. Also had to make a custom diode board, because my first attempt made the leds act funky. So I used a 4 bulb 555 lamp board from my parts stash and added duel plugs on it. Turned out fairly well I think.

#2 10 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I liked the POTD mod people have been doing, but I wanted the lights on the figures to light up for the corresponding lane. Plus I added UV LEDs for each figure. Used the Pinbits top plate and bought 4 figures off ebay. Wired each one up in conjunction with the back light board. Also had to make a custom diode board, because my first attempt made the leds act funky. So I used a 4 bulb 555 lamp board from my parts stash and added duel plugs on it. Turned out fairly well I think.
» YouTube video

Looks fantastic. Great job.

#3 10 years ago

i might take out the two bulbs in the back runner for that corner to kind of darken the area up, but stands out pretty good now. These translucent green figures, really respond well to black light. I tested them out with the fish tank bulb first to see if UV even effected them.

And sorry about the glare in the video, I had to take the glass off so many times after installing it and tweeking, I didn't want to take it off again for the video. This was a day and a half project figuring out how to wire everything and hide the wires good.

#4 10 years ago

btw, total cost for the project was fairly inexpensive.

Pinbits top plate with hardware $26
LOTR figures 4.99 each with $5 shipping = $25
UV LEDs pinbits = $12 (2 sets of 3)
Wiring = free (parts stash)
Diodes = free (parts stash)
Molex plug and pins = $2

Total = $65

Total time to figure out where i wanted the figures so I could still see the ball. Dremel the figures to inserts LEDS. Taking the LED's apart. Making the doubled up plug. Gluing the figures, running the wire ribbon lines along the edges. Testing the figures through the process to make sure everything was working through the entire process. Took about 5 hours altogether of actual working time. That's taking it apart, and putting it back together.

#5 10 years ago

nice work. Makes a dull area much better.

#6 10 years ago

Definitely looks good, well done.

#7 10 years ago

many have done this mod, so the mod itself isn't really new. Basically just showing the integration of the lane lamps used for the figures as well.

#8 10 years ago

Sure, right after I buy my $200 Pinball Refinery one hehe

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from DarkWizard:

Sure, right after I buy my $200 Pinball Refinery one hehe

Can't go wrong

#10 10 years ago

and he does all the work for you. I like his mod. It's just that I wanted the figures to light up with the lanes and interact when the ball goes under them. Which is does.

#11 10 years ago

Neo, I want to do this. Any chance you could make a guide?

#12 10 years ago

I could, but not with pictures anymore as I have it already installed in the game. Basically you wire up all the LED's with 2 wires. Run them to the back however you like. I ran them along the sides of the clear playfield, but you could just go straight down and under like Hemi does.

now for the diode board you could use a breadboard. I didn't have any breadboard sitting around anymore, but I have piles of 555 socket under playfield lamp boards. Took one with 4 bulbs on it, since they have the diodes and plug already there.

but if you were to make it with a breadboard. You need 3, sets of 5 pin board molex mounting pins. 2 on one side. and one for the other side (your Z plug has 2 molex connectors) One for the current 4 bulb plug, and one for the new 5 pin plug your going to be making with your 4 LEDS. (other side has your plug that goes to the boards). Run one wire from each LED, to the plug in order. 1,2,3,4 and 5 is the common. All 4 of the second wires are bunched together in put on the last pin. Wire up both board plugs so they are jumpered together. Pin 1 goes to pin 1 on the second plug, and 2 to 2 and so on. Then have 4 diodes mounted to the board, with the banded side going towards the bulbs/LEDs. Connect the other side to the plug on the opposite side of the board, where your other molex that goes to the boards connects. That's pretty much it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

10,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Denver, CO
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 12.95
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 7.50
$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

€ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 39.50
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models

9,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Eau Claire, WI
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 25.00
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
$ 12.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lotr-custom-lane-light-up-potd-mod and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.