(Topic ID: 133031)

LOTR Color DMD Review.....My Precious Goes Color

By Switch

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Switch.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

The wife and I were finally able to find and purchase a beautiful HUO LOTR. Down side was in need of a new DMD. First thought we had was this would be a perfect candidate for a color DMD. Checking into it the cost, going color was double that of just buying a new DMD ($399). We bit the bullet and got it ordered. I was a little unsure on the cost versus what I would be getting. I have played several games before with the color DMD (MM,AFM,WH2O,TAF) and have thought its cool but have never really been wowed by it. So here you have my review...

Packaging & Shipping:

+ Shipped right away the next business day
+ Packaging was nice and the new LCD was well supported and protected. The post office would have to try pretty hard to break it.

Parts:

+ Everything looks very professional and top quality

Instructions & Installation:

+ The instruction that were included basically pointed you to the website. The instructions on the website were very easily laid out with lots of pictures. I really liked how they even referenced the the red strips on the interconnect cables to make sure people didn't get it backwards. This can definitely be helpful for those of us that are so excited to put in our new mods that we don't always pay as close of attention as we should when unplugging things. The detailed instructions would make this an easy to do mod for any skill level of pin owner. Installation time 20 min.

+ Loading the software was very simple and took less then 2 min.

Game play:

+++ Forget ever other mod for this game!!!! This by far is the most amazing mod I have ever seen on an LOTR. I wasn't to sure about the cost of it but after seeing the whole package and the display running in the game, it's worth every penny!!! The modes and characters come to life and the richness and depth of the colors is amazing. I was able to destroy the ring with my second game after installing the display and the destroy the ring animation is unreal. It looks good on the video from ColorDMD but in person it is unreal. I should also mention that I currently have the display running in the non DOT mode so the images are solid. It looks beautiful! Very happy customer.

Overall Take away:

+ The absolute best mod for the game
+ Would add more value to the game I think then any other mod
-/+ My only remotely negative thought is since you order the display for a specific game why does it not come with that games software already preinstalled? Its simple to do and only takes a couple of minutes to do it once the display is installed, but it does seem like this could be done before shipping. However, this did allow me to see how the display looked in Sigma 2.5 before uploading the color file. Might get a sigma one for a couple of my other games. Not really a negative at all just a thought.

See the display in action:

http://shop.colordmd.com/colordmd-replacement-display-for-lord-of-the-rings-pinball-machine/

#3 8 years ago

I figured that was the reasoning for it and I completely agree. Great product!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

10,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 12.95
$ 12.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 7.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 8.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Switch.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lotr-color-dmd-reviewmy-precious-goes-color?tu=Switch and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.