• Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Fullscreen capture 612014 83602 AM.jpg
IMG_20140530_173329_861.jpg
#1 9 years ago

OK so I have replaced bulbs in the 3 inserts between the slings and shoot again 3 times and they keep going out. I pull them and there melted(ghost buster leds) any thoughts?

#2 9 years ago

IMG_20140530_173329_861.jpgIMG_20140530_173329_861.jpg

#3 9 years ago

Bump

#4 9 years ago

Do incandescent bulbs burn out quickly too? Is the bulb locked on when it is not supposed to be?
Do you have a multimeter? If so, what is the voltage reading?

#5 9 years ago

Yep they are locked on I honestly hadn't noticed. I'm assuming its something on the driver board then. I'll look deeper

#6 9 years ago

Good call Seal pointing it out.

Locked on bulbs can melt inserts and ramps (especially flashers).

The LEDs I guess acted like fuses (better they burned out than burn your inserts....)

#7 9 years ago

Bad batch of Led's? That thing should be able to be lit for years straight without getting hot. Check the voltage at those 3 inserts. If that checks out let the led manufacturer know so they can investigate.

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from Rock914:

That thing should be able to be lit for years straight without getting hot.

But, sometimes when they lock, they become super bright and super hot.

Not just the normal 6v when that happens.

On many games the lamp matrix is 18v, but pulses rapidly so the bulbs are on 1/3 of the time (6v). When they lock, the lamp is given the full 18v and is very bright (until it burns out, lol).

#9 9 years ago

Yep he is probably getting the full voltage. I prefer my led's to be non-smoking, lol

#10 9 years ago

Lol yes I prefer my bulbs smoke free as well! Not the best on board work anything particular to check? Fuses are good nothing burnt up (noticeable) no manual but checking if I can find schematics. Thanks guys

#11 9 years ago

If all three of those were locked on, I'd suspect all of ROW1. Do your KEEP letters and Shoot Again also stay locked on? If so, it could be a short under the playfield or a shorted Q33 transistor.

Fullscreen capture 612014 83602 AM.jpgFullscreen capture 612014 83602 AM.jpg

Edit: I just read closer and saw that you already mentioned Shoot Again. What about KEEP letters?

#12 9 years ago

Keep letters are also on

#13 9 years ago

Disconnect the row connector and see if the lights still stay on. If they do then there's a short to ground in the playfield wiring, if not then I'd look at the driver transistor as herg suggested.

1 week later
#14 9 years ago

Ok, so the q33 had been replaced and same issue so there must be a short or a bad diode in the lamp socket it self? I'm sure its not to easy to trace so any input is appreciated... Thanks Guys!

#15 9 years ago

You need to start by checking the Transistors that control those lights on the I O Driver board and I bet your gonna find Bad ones.

Joe(acejedi)

#16 9 years ago
Quoted from Acejedi:

You need to start by checking the Transistors that control those lights on the I O Driver board and I bet your gonna find Bad ones.
Joe(acejedi)

Q33 controls that row, its been replaced and the problem hasn't changed.

#17 9 years ago

So, that means it's even more likely a problem under the playfield. Have you tried terryb's suggestion?

Quoted from terryb:

Disconnect the row connector and see if the lights still stay on. If they do then there's a short to ground in the playfield wiring...

#18 9 years ago

The connector off the board, yes and the lights went out. Not to ask a dumb question but is there another connection under the field or does it go straight to the back box. Having trouble tracking it down if there is.

#19 9 years ago

If the only connector you're removing is J12 and that causes the lights to go out, that leads back to the power driver board. Using the shotgun approach of replacing parts isn't very effective, and you can do more damage than good.

The best way to test whether the board has an issue without involving the playfield wiring is to use a single bulb with test leads you can connect to the PCB pins.

1. Remove J12 and J13.
2. Connect a test lead (wire with clips on the end) to J12-P1.
3. Connect the other end of the test lead to one contact of a bulb.
4. Connect a second test lead to J13-P5.
5. Connect the other end of the second test lead to the second contact of the bulb.

The bulb should react like the Fellowship insert would. Test mode is the best place to verify this. If it stays lit, you're seeing the same problem, and you can eliminate the playfield wiring as a cause. If it blinks, you'll know your board is OK.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 79.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Pinball Life

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

10,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 39.50
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 8.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lotr-blowing-bulbs and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.