• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0757.jpg
IMG_0755.jpg
IMG_0754.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider toro1966.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 9 years ago

Hey guys - Travis is over and we successfully replaced the socket and confirmed his ROM was the source of his issues. We cleaned off all of the corrosion from the battery pack and installed fresh batteries. Fired it up and everything worked like a champ. No issues that we saw. Turned it off, pulled his board from my LOTR and as he was getting ready to leave we saw this:

Obviously this battery pack got very hot - Could it have been from his original bad ROM?We installed these batteries - before - installing the bad ROM and then installing my known good one. Could it have just been a bad battery? Finally - could the remaining corrosion in the battery pack have caused it? Again - we cleaned it pretty good, though I am sure some was still present.

On a completely different note - we are installing the anypin battery eliminator now - to do away with the battery pack. My questions with it are:
1 - Whitestars do use the 6264 setting - correct?
2 - I removed the original battery pack. Do I need to reinstall it - even empty / and/ or do I need to fill the solder holes remaining from its removal? Thanks!

IMG_0754.jpgIMG_0754.jpgIMG_0755.jpgIMG_0755.jpg

#3 9 years ago

Good possibility - any idea which one it is - looking in the circuit for an obvious one now.

#5 9 years ago

It's definitely bad. It's reading .182. Should be about .4-,6 - correct?

Also - any idea on removing the battery holder? Do I just fill those empty holes with solder

#6 9 years ago

ok - need to replace the diode but it calls for a 1N5817. I only have 1N4001, 1N4004, and 1N4007. Can I replace it with one of those?

Also, I do intend on getting rid of the battery pack as I just installed the NVRAM from anypin if that makes a difference.

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from terryb:

The 1N5817 is a Schottky diode which has a lower voltage drop, so a reading of .182 is probably about right.

Ok - so a couple of additional questions:
1 - Are you sure about the voltage drop and where can I confirm what it should be - again I know a standard diofe is .4-.6.
2 - Does it matter given that I am using the NVRAM and won't be using the battery pack?
3 - If the diode is not bad - as we suspect it is - then what cause the batteries to basically overheat and melt the battery pack?

#11 9 years ago

1 - OK - I reinstalled the original diode - but am concerned now because everything else in that circuit tests good. No grounds on the positive side of the battery terminal so not sure why the batteries over heated.

Again - we are getting rid of the battery holder so that is probably less of a concern if it was the cause - but I want to make sure something isn't going to blow up the board.

Also - with this NVRAM install - now that I have removed the battery holder, what do I do with the two empty holes where they holder used to be - just solder them closed - leave them alone - or is there a third option?

Thanks again for all of your help - it s most definitely appreciated.

#13 9 years ago

Thanks Terry! I appreciate it. I just removed the battery holder altogether. Reinstalled the original diode since it tested ok, and installed the AnyPin kit. I set it to 6264 RAM - which should be correct for the Whitestar board. Getting ready to reinstall and fire her up. Wish us luck!
IMG_0757.jpgIMG_0757.jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 12.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 12.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 7.50
$ 79.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Pinball Life

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Grand Rapids, MI
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 18.95
10,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
Trade
Machine - For Trade
West Chester, PA
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

€ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider toro1966.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lotr-battery-blown-upmelted?tu=toro1966 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.