Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

LOTR_dummy (resized).jpg
balrog right (resized).jpg
balrog left (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PhantomO.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

My Balrog is loose somewhoe and wiggles left and right on its post. So when it goes into retracted mode, it is not tucking itself far enough out of the way of the ring ramp shot. This is causing the ball to hit the side of the Balrog fairly often when I'm trying to make the ramp shot. The post he is on doesn't seem to be loose enough to account for the amount of wiggle (it does have a little up and down travel and almost no left to right slack.) Is this a common problem with a known culprit? Is there a way to tighten the left-right travel of the overall mechanism and make sure balrog retracts far enough? Thanks!

#3 7 years ago

It has about an inch give around the pivot post that anchors it to the motor. The post itself has a little give, but the balrog assembly on the post has much more give. I have two pics here that show the right and left extremes of the horizontal travel as I push with my finger. At rest, it stays more to the left, which is why the ball hits the edge of the bracket.

balrog left (resized).jpgbalrog left (resized).jpg

balrog right (resized).jpgbalrog right (resized).jpg

#5 7 years ago

Thanks, I am hoping that will do it. Will give it a try tonight. The post seems good, but it had a lot of abuse and constant movement during a prolonged malfunction, so I may replace it anyway.

#7 7 years ago

Screws didn't have desired effect. I loosened and then tightend the hex bolt in the coupling interruptor, and it tightened the give a little, but the hex bolt seems overtightened (it's boring into the clutch plates and is close to being stripped). The motor is clearly not moving as far to the retracted position (right side of table) as it had been, since the wear mark on the playfield extends more than an inch beyond the point that the motor is reaching now. Balrog gate bracket (18) is also wiggly loose on the shaft, which exacerbates the problem. I will order a new bracket to see if it fits more snugly over the shaft. I don't know what to do with the motor and interruptor.

#10 7 years ago

I'll look at the switch. The wear came from a mis-installed balrog, which was scraping the playfield, before I bought it. fixed by putting washer below the bracket where it was supposed to be. Thanks again.

#11 7 years ago

Rebuilt the mechanism with new coupler, shaft and bracket, which was much tighter. Works fine now. The metal just got worn out and loose. Thanks for the advice!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

€ 7.50
9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 18.95
10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
€ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 12.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

10,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PhantomO.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lotr-balrog-wiggles-how-to-tighten?tu=PhantomO and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.