(Topic ID: 219250)

LotR - Balrog causing constant ball launch?

By mettle64

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by mettle64
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

This issue started with Frodo/Mode Start activating automatically at the beginning of a game before the first plunge. I found some posts indicating that it was likely an issue with breaks in the Balrog wiring harness. Got a brand new harness, replaced the old one.

Now, when the game powers on but BEFORE starting a game, a ball is ejected and is auto-launched, then a second ball is ejected and auto-launched. Once the first ball makes it back to the trough, another ball is ejected and auto-launched. Always two balls forced out of the trough.

This seemed like an issue distinct from the Balrog, but unplugging the Balrog prevents this from happening and a game can start normally.

I've since replaced the Balrog switch and diode, but still seeing the strange behavior when the game powers on.

Any ideas?

#2 5 years ago

I would suspect the ball trough switches, but need to test all switches for sure.

#3 5 years ago

Also check the main wiring harness as it travels underneath of the playfield to the back, on the rear left. I had several snapped wires where the wiring harness was loose and got caught on the playfield rails mounted to the cabinet as the playfield was slid in and out.

#4 5 years ago

Plugged in the switch sans balrog mold. When the switch is closed, as it is by default when it's sitting in the Balrog, these switches are active:

4-BALL TROUGH #1 (LEFT) - #11
4-BALL TROUGH #2 - #12
4-BALL TROUGH #3 - #13
4-BALL TROUGH VUK OPTO - #14
4-BALL STACKING OPTO - #15
BALROG HIT - #28
BALROG OPEN - #31

When the switch is open, these switches are active:

4-BALL TROUGH #1 (LEFT) - #11
4-BALL TROUGH #2 - #12
4-BALL TROUGH #3 - #13
4-BALL TROUGH VUK OPTO - #14
BALROG OPEN - #31

So, closing the Balrog switch is activating the 4-Ball Stacking Opto, which is causing the constant ball launch.

I've completely replaced the Balrog switch and diode since taking the picture I included in my above post, but still seeing the same behavior.

#5 5 years ago

Turns out this was a simple and easily avoidable mistake. Compared the wiring to other switches under the playfield and found that the white wire was attached to the wrong lug.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models

$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 8.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

10,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 12.95
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lotr-balrog-causing-constant-ball-launch?hl=aukraut and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.