Hi!

I need help with this one. For some reason during gameplay
my LOTR autoplunger seems to start firing at some point
without no obvious reason and as a result the game ends:
one cannot play with the flippers and the ball, which is still
in game, returns to ball-through.

Thanks for all help!

#2 10 years ago

The place to start would be to follow the wiring for the autoplunger looking for a short.

#3 10 years ago

Also check the switch that triggers the auto plunger.

#4 10 years ago

Trough and shooter lane switches, yes

#5 10 years ago

Thanks for the tips, I will have a look!

#6 10 years ago

The game is confused about where the balls are. Trough, shooter lane, lock switches need attention and checked via switch test.

1 week later
#7 10 years ago

I check visually, but could not find the short. Also the shooter lane and ball-through optos were working ok.

It seems that the autoplunger starts firing by itself only when there is a lot of action in the game:
usually in the multiball-mode or when one shoots the ball at Balrog. I have a shaker installed,
but I guess it should not be the culprit here.

Any further tips are welcome as always!

#8 10 years ago

You need to go into the switch matrix test in the Portal menu. First, keep it running without doing anything for a few minutes. If you hear a beep and keep an eye on the matrix to see what switch just activated, this will mean that there's a bad opto. Next, I would start pressing down every switch on the game. If you activate a switch and see that another switch is also activated when you do that, it means that you have a crossed wire somewhere. Lastly, you may want to give the machine a few taps (or kick one of the legs a few times) to see if anything activates in the matrix. If something does here, then you have a switch that is too sensitive (possible since when there's a lot of action on the pin, shaker action becomes more frequent).

#9 10 years ago

Thanks LilRocky, I will try this out!

3 weeks later
#10 10 years ago

There was a malfunctioning opto, but it was not the culprit here after all. I guess I will have to through all the switches!

1 week later
#11 10 years ago

I went throught the switches and to my surprise they all seem to be ok. The auto-plunger (it is actually the autoplunger) activate usually during balrog-movement, when the shaker is on - I am just saying this in case it does help in determining the possible cause for the autoplunger activation.

#12 10 years ago

You checked to see if the switch in the shooter lane is too sensitive?

#13 10 years ago

Is there a permanent ground from a bad transistor? I only know this because my bumper lights on LOTR were permanently on. My tech traced it to a permanent ground from a bad transistor. I don't know this stuff well, just passing my experience. Do you have the manual? what other switches are on that matrix? I don't have the manual or game anymore. Check everything on the same daisy chain.

#14 10 years ago

I believe if he had a permanent ground that the auto-plunger would always be plunged and would blow the fuse and maybe burn up the coil.

It sounds like the switch in the shooter lane is activating and causing the auto-plunger to think a ball needs to be put into play.

#15 10 years ago

Hmm, I adjusted the autoplunger switch a bit, but it looked to be fine.

What I found out - I have not noticed it before - but the coil on the autoplunger
is upside down in my LOTR. It should be like this I think:
http://www.pinballdaze.co.uk/666_500_csupload_28442234.jpg?u=1959313770

I will change the direction - I wonder if that's the culprit?

Edit: also the sleeve was put inside the coil the wrong way around

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

I believe if he had a permanent ground that the auto-plunger would always be plunged and would blow the fuse and maybe burn up the coil.
It sounds like the switch in the shooter lane is activating and causing the auto-plunger to think a ball needs to be put into play.

Makes sense to me. I took the bulbs out or they would've fried or melted the plastics. And that was on the flasher matrix. Thumbs up. The coil would've been red hot. And why would that cause the ball to end. I think. Just saying great point. Might be more the trough Stern is infamous for that.

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from Nepi23:

Hmm, I adjusted the autoplunger switch a bit, but it looked to be fine.
What I found out - I have not noticed it before - but the coil on the autoplunger
is upside down in my LOTR. It should be like this I think:
http://www.pinballdaze.co.uk/666_500_csupload_28442234.jpg?u=1959313770
I will change the direction - I wonder if that's the culprit?
Edit: also the sleeve was put inside the coil the wrong way around

That is not the problem...works installed either way...BUT All coils should be installed with the wires as far from their coil stops as possible to make everything more reliable. And it sounds like a bad /failing maladjusted switch to me. As others have mentioned I would start switch test with the glass off and tap on the playfield or the rails by the ball launch with your hand and see if anything activates .Then try to activate it by hand with the coin door open . You should be able to 'feel' the switch activate manually and if it seems to easy to press it probably is.

#18 10 years ago

I compared the autoplunger switch "feel" to other switches by finger and true enough, it feels very soft and it does not seem to register in a "snappy" way as the other switches do. I am a newbie, I try to adjust it and if I do not get it feeling the same as other switches, I'll take a picture if you could advice, which part of the switch to bend and into which direction. Will also try to tap the playfield and see, if any switch registers.

#19 10 years ago

I tried to bend the switch a bit - it seems to work in the same manner as before now though - the same problem exists.

However, when I tap the playfield, it seems that ballthrough #1 and #2 switches register. Is this normal (the balls are in the through)?

The other matter - the coin door was closed, the power was on, but there was no test mode or game on. When I touch the shooter lane switch, it actualizes the autoplunger. Should it do that even the game or test mode is not on? When I tried e.g. the slingshot switches, the slingshots did not actualize.

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from Nepi23:

I tried to bend the switch a bit - it seems to work in the same manner as before now though - the same problem exists.
However, when I tap the playfield, it seems that ballthrough #1 and #2 switches register. Is this normal (the balls are in the through)?

Doesn't sound normal and this may be your problem.

Quoted from Nepi23:

The other matter - the coin door was closed, the power was on, but there was no test mode or game on. When I touch the shooter lane switch, it actualizes the autoplunger. Should it do that even the game or test mode is not on? When I tried e.g. the slingshot switches, the slingshots did not actualize.

This is normal, the machine in "attract" mode will try to direct any balls in the shooter lane into the trough.

#21 10 years ago

It sounds like either ball trough switches 1 and 2 are not sensitive enough or are defective.

#22 10 years ago

For the shooter lane switch here is an example picture of a switch. The contact point is towards the left end (the little white bump under the switch arm). You need the arm to be bent upwards away from the contact point to stop it from switching on its own if that is what is happening. You would need to hold the arm on the left side of the contact point (where the arm is attached to the switch body) while bending upward slightly near the contact point on the right side of it.
rolloverswitch.jpgrolloverswitch.jpg

#23 10 years ago

If he doesn't hear a click on the shooter lane switch that is a really bad sign correct?

#24 10 years ago
Quoted from FiveSixPyro:

If he doesn't hear a click on the shooter lane switch that is a really bad sign correct?

You should be able to hear a click in a quiet room. If you don't hear a click then either the switch is always depressed or is defective. If it is always depressed then it usually can be fixed with the bending I described a couple posts above.

#25 10 years ago

^ TY!

#26 10 years ago

Thanks DCFAN! I will have a look tomorrow.

(BTW, I can hear the click with the shooter lane switch.)

When I today tried to bend the switch, I though that the
area in the attached picture marked with red should not be bent
at all and therefore I bent the area marked with blue.
If I gathered it correctly, I should hold with the pliers the arm at the
spot marked with green X and then with the other pliers
I should bend at the section marked with purple X. Learning all the
time!

I also need to take a look at the ballthrough switches then.

Switch-336.jpgSwitch-336.jpg

#27 10 years ago

If you can hear the click then that should be ok for the position of the arm, especially if a ball rolling onto it causes the click.

See if tweaking/fixing the ball trough switches solves your problem.

If none of those things fix the problem then it may be worth your time to replace the switches.

One other thing, make sure all of the wire connectors under the playfield near the ball trough are connected firmly.

#28 10 years ago

I agree ... check your ball trough switches and wiring and also replace the shooter lane switch and check its wiring. They are cheap and have a hard life. After all it is one of the most often used switch in a game.

Quoted from FiveSixPyro:

Yes ..should be a click easily heard and felt as mentioned ..or it is worn out and needs replacing. It may work from time to time BUT not every activation is registered when they get old like that and/or they activate from gravity alone.

Check the trough adjustment and wiring as mentioned above because tapping the playfield and setting off ball trough switches is not normal unless you are actually moving the balls. Check trough wiring and switches to make sure that everything is adjusted correctly.

#29 10 years ago

Hmm, the switches in the ballthrough and also the shooter lane switch seem now ok. Also the wiring appears ok to me.

I read in the link under that the problem might lie with the Balrog and/or Palantir switches. Balrog seemed fine, but I forgot to check Palantir - I know that the plate behind the target has been bent and I have ordered a spare-part, so I will have a look at that next week in any case.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rec.games.pinball/jg_8eHdtB9k

#30 10 years ago

go into switch test and activate the switches in question. If you do not see it register or see more then one when you hit only one you found the problem. Or if one stays activated [ the palantir sounds like it is ] that is another problem that will confuse the matrix and cause issues you mention. Also if the daisy chain from other switches does not reach the trough switches [or intermittently] that could also be the problem. Check for continuity from switches in question.
Also see what switches are on the same row/column [manual is your friend] and check them and you should find the problem.
Good luck!

#31 10 years ago

Thanks Hawk007! I did run the switch-test, but at the time the balls where in the through, so they were activated all the time. I better try those switches without the balls in place.

2 weeks later
#32 10 years ago

What I have done so far is that I have checked all the switches and they activated ok in the switch test.

What I did today:
- replaced ballthrough opto-boards
- exchanged the coil for the autoplunger
- renewed a bent switch back plate for the palantir switch

Once I started the game, the autoplunger was firing all the time and in the switch
test palantir was also activated.

I bent the palantir switch leafs so that the would not touch each other and also tried
to bend the diode and the wires going to the switch. I also readjusted the shooter lane
switch.

This stopped the automatic firing, but the automatic wiring still occurs during the game,
now more often than before.

I am think that there is something fishy going on with the palantir switch and I will take
pictures for you to have a look at. I will take some pictures of the shooter lane switch
as well.

Attached is a picture of active switches in the test - is it normal that Balrog Hit is activated
there?

Thanks again for all tips!

LOTR_switches.jpgLOTR_switches.jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Pinball Life

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.95
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 39.50
10,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lotr-autoplunger-keeps-firing-game-ends and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.