Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

lordringseye.gif
1-DSC00236.JPG
homer.jpg
20130213_212340-1.jpg
5-DSC00198.JPG
3-DSC00196.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider blindvoyeur.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 11 years ago

I was going to wait a week or so to post this but since it was brought up in the other thread and a few people have asked me about it here goes:

I have always hated the stock palantir that Stern used and even though the different color changing LED mods make a huge different, I wanted something more Back from working on prop/prop replicas and miniatures, I had experimented on several different lighting and animated options for a statue. I really wanted to add this to the LOTR pin very similar to the crystal ball effect on WOZ. I have this about ready to go I just need to tweak a few options here and there but I want different videos to light up and play in the ball. I really like the flaming eye effect so far. I plan to have some pics and videos up within the next week or so but I can say this, so far it has way surpassed my expectations and should be a pretty neat effect when added.

Thanks,
Ryan

#17 11 years ago
Quoted from KingPinGames:

how hard would it be to get an OLED style ball like on WOZ?
either way, i am excited to see this too as i had the crystal style ball on there, but it broke off so now i have nothing.

My version very similar what is being used in WOZ, I am using an OLED so it can play full videos. The videos I am using in my test version are a combination of re-edited captures from the films plus some additional custom animations. I am tweaking my circuit to allow the different triggers and options that will play.

Thanks
Ryan

#24 11 years ago

This is what I am shooting for. I am still working on the different behavior patterns but I definitly want it to be somewhat interactive without being a distraction. I have some ideas for some cool effects for it, I am just working out the kinks on them

#39 11 years ago

Those issues is why I am working with the different triggers in my circuit. My current thought process is this:

It will always have something showing. I have created an subtle animated dark cloud version with a faint eye in it that will play while the it is "off" Next I have created a birght "super firey" Flaming eye clip for when it "lit". I want it to be always flowing with different animations while still preserving the "effect" of how it works in the game.

As for the look and mounting I am finishing up a "base" that it will sit on based on the black marble pillar it was sitting on in Saruman's tower. This will alow it to have a nice clean look and help hide the mounting and LED electronics as well as provide a more stable mount above the target.

I have put quite a bit of thought and effort into this. From working with props and miniatures I have always tried to go above and beyond because the end product is always so rewarding. To me its all the little details that just stand out and make it so much cooler (even though some may go unnoticed )

Thanks
Ryan

#43 11 years ago

An example of what I was talking about it (My family calls it OCD )
I made some police car mods for the Getaway and I wanted each of the lights to flash in a different speed or pattern to try and be as much as possible like a real police car, Ie the tail light blinking slower and to try and get that "rolling light" effect. I also made some of the cars custom to be car 504 with the star paint scheme like in the game.

Here is an older video for the lighting test on the car:

Thank Again

#51 11 years ago
Quoted from micro:

Sounds great Ryan. I think the dark cloud faint eye for having the palantir unlit will be perfect.
The more I think about it, the more I think shots from the movie playing in it would seem like a distraction, and not hold true to the theme.
The palantir was, more or less, a video conferencing device. You saw in the palantir what was on the other side. And whoever was on the other side saw what what was on that side. In case anyone wants to get their geek on. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palantir
So since this is the palantir that Saruman has, only evil stuff is going to come out of it, as Sauron was on the other side of that connection.
I really am excited to see what you have when you have it.
Chris

These were my thoughts exactly. I didnt really want to to become a "video mode" gimmick even though it gets tempting when you think of all the possibilites

#54 11 years ago

I plan to keep it as reasonable as possible.

#60 11 years ago

Wow I'm not sure I deserve all that but thank you none the less. I really look forward to putting out a nice mod with this one.

Thanks again and I really appreciate everyone's feedback with this!

#64 11 years ago
Quoted from NimblePin:

Pics, or it's a Shrek waffle-eating Donkey mod!!!

Ah man you must be spying on me.. that was goin to be my next mod... but I was going to add bacon....
Dont worry I will have some pics and video ready really soon...

#77 11 years ago

I had a little delay on them. I am having the crystal balls made by a company in China and they sent me an email saying they pretty much shut down for Chinese New Year until March. The good news is they were able to get my two sample ones ready and shipped to me so I could approve my design. I should have those this week. This gives me time to work on the circuits and such though. I will keep everone posted ASAP!.

Thanks,
Ryan

On another note I decided to make a couple custom one-off, hand-painted, lighted toppers just to see how they would turn out. I really like the traditional "Art" look of pins and kind of miss it with the newer photoshop look so I decided to incorperate that into a nice topper. I am almost finished with one of Quarra for Tron that I started last night. I will get some pics of later if she is finished up.

Thanks again!

#87 11 years ago

Here is the painted topper I mentioned. I havent finished the base and added the lighting that will go between the two pieces yet, but I am really happy with how she has turned out so far.

Thanks,
Ryan

20130213_212340-1.jpg20130213_212340-1.jpg

3 months later
#127 10 years ago

I think I have finally got the details worked out with the supplier in China on the crystals 3 times with a 3-4 week wait time in between has been a killer. I just want it to be perfect and to show up as clear as possible so I have had to tweak the design several different times. My final sample crystal should be here in the next few days and I can finally get some videos of this put together. I can really complain to much though because it has given me time to get caught up on some other projects in between

Thanks,
Ryan

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

€ 7.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 18.95
$ 8.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 79.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Pinball Life

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

10,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider blindvoyeur.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lotr-animated-palantir-mod?tu=blindvoyeur and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.