Topic Stats

• 147 posts
  • 78 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by DarkWizard
  • Topic is favorited by 49 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 6 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

lordringseye.gif
1-DSC00236.JPG
homer.jpg
20130213_212340-1.jpg
5-DSC00198.JPG
3-DSC00196.JPG

There are 147 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 6 years ago

I was going to wait a week or so to post this but since it was brought up in the other thread and a few people have asked me about it here goes:

I have always hated the stock palantir that Stern used and even though the different color changing LED mods make a huge different, I wanted something more Back from working on prop/prop replicas and miniatures, I had experimented on several different lighting and animated options for a statue. I really wanted to add this to the LOTR pin very similar to the crystal ball effect on WOZ. I have this about ready to go I just need to tweak a few options here and there but I want different videos to light up and play in the ball. I really like the flaming eye effect so far. I plan to have some pics and videos up within the next week or so but I can say this, so far it has way surpassed my expectations and should be a pretty neat effect when added.

Thanks,
Ryan

#2 6 years ago

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

#4 6 years ago

I want the flaming eye to show in that palantir, yes please.

#6 6 years ago

Sweet.

#7 6 years ago

Awesomeness!

#8 6 years ago

Incredible! Can't wait for pics/vids

#9 6 years ago

how hard would it be to get an OLED style ball like on WOZ?

either way, i am excited to see this too as i had the crystal style ball on there, but it broke off so now i have nothing.

#10 6 years ago

Can't wait to see how it turns out sounds cool indeed.

#11 6 years ago

Any idea on price?

#12 6 years ago

Could be real cool, hope to see it come out soon.

#13 6 years ago

Watching this thread!

#14 6 years ago

Sounds amazing. Can't wait to see it.

#15 6 years ago

Sounds super cool. Can't wait to see some videos of it.

#16 6 years ago

Would really like that too!!

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from KingPinGames:

how hard would it be to get an OLED style ball like on WOZ?
either way, i am excited to see this too as i had the crystal style ball on there, but it broke off so now i have nothing.

My version very similar what is being used in WOZ, I am using an OLED so it can play full videos. The videos I am using in my test version are a combination of re-edited captures from the films plus some additional custom animations. I am tweaking my circuit to allow the different triggers and options that will play.

Thanks
Ryan

#18 6 years ago

I have color-changing LED in mine, thought that was great, your idea sounds fantastic!

#19 6 years ago

im in! actually give me two of them. my brother has a LotR too.

on a side note, i was so excited when i saw the post that i must have somehow missed the part about it being an OLED style like WOZ, that is why i suggested it. i need to learn to slow down and read more.

#20 6 years ago

Thread added to my favorites. Can't wait to see more. Dreading the price.

#21 6 years ago

Sounds great but I'm afraid it is going to cost! It will be interesting to see if this mod will command higher prices when these pins are sold.

#22 6 years ago

It would be cool to have it do different things based on the game.

The Palantir can be lit, or unlit. If lit, it is about to reward the player something cool. If unlit, it doesn't give anything. Maybe this can be used to do something like:

1. if unlit, it shows the eye (evil mode), or shows nothing until the switch is hit, THEN shows the eye
2. if lit, it shows selected scenes from the movies.

Of course this would need to be wired into the game to get triggers when the switch is hit, and when the palantir was lit to work.

Can that be done?

#23 6 years ago

I'm in! Sounds rad!

#24 6 years ago

This is what I am shooting for. I am still working on the different behavior patterns but I definitly want it to be somewhat interactive without being a distraction. I have some ideas for some cool effects for it, I am just working out the kinks on them

#25 6 years ago

When I first saw the WOZ ball I thought of LOTR
This sounds very cool!

#26 6 years ago

I'm in for one.

#27 6 years ago

Cool! I'm in for one too.

#28 6 years ago

I'd be interested as well.

#31 6 years ago

Sounds awesome!

#32 6 years ago

Sign me up!

#33 6 years ago

Just what LOTR needed. I'd be happy with something simple like the eye always on and then extra bright and flames when activated.

#34 6 years ago

That feature would sure snaz ole LOTR up!!! I'm thinking an even larger crystal ball?!!!!!

#36 6 years ago

Sounds wicked, can't wait to see.

#37 6 years ago

Cool, I'm actually working on feeding video into my design too.

The dilemma I had was when to display it? It is better to show a video (say the eye) the entire time the game is on or is it better to try to only show it when the Palantir is lit?

If you show it all the time then it potentially takes away slightly from the original intent of the Palantir which is that it be lit when the insert is lit. If you try to only display video when the Palantir is lit then there is the trouble of dealing with the fact that it sometimes flashes on and off rapidly during gameplay.

#38 6 years ago

I'd prefer just an eye on it all the time, let the bulb designate lit or not.

#39 6 years ago

Those issues is why I am working with the different triggers in my circuit. My current thought process is this:

It will always have something showing. I have created an subtle animated dark cloud version with a faint eye in it that will play while the it is "off" Next I have created a birght "super firey" Flaming eye clip for when it "lit". I want it to be always flowing with different animations while still preserving the "effect" of how it works in the game.

As for the look and mounting I am finishing up a "base" that it will sit on based on the black marble pillar it was sitting on in Saruman's tower. This will alow it to have a nice clean look and help hide the mounting and LED electronics as well as provide a more stable mount above the target.

I have put quite a bit of thought and effort into this. From working with props and miniatures I have always tried to go above and beyond because the end product is always so rewarding. To me its all the little details that just stand out and make it so much cooler (even though some may go unnoticed )

Thanks
Ryan

#40 6 years ago

Maybe have it react differently when the ramp spinner is activated? Also when a ring shot is made.

#41 6 years ago
Quoted from BlindVoyeur:

Those issues is why I am working with the different triggers in my circuit. My current thought process is this:
It will always have something showing. I have created an subtle animated dark cloud version with a faint eye in it that will play while the it is "off" Next I have created a birght "super firey" Flaming eye clip for when it "lit". I want it to be always flowing with different animations while still preserving the "effect" of how it works in the game.
As for the look and mounting I am finishing up a "base" that it will sit on based on the black marble pillar it was sitting on in Saruman's tower. This will alow it to have a nice clean look and help hide the mounting and LED electronics as well as provide a more stable mount above the target.
I have put quite a bit of thought and effort into this. From working with props and miniatures I have always tried to go above and beyond because the end product is always so rewarding. To me its all the little details that just stand out and make it so much cooler (even though some may go unnoticed )
Thanks
Ryan

That sounds awesome - definitely more advanced than what I'm working on. It would be amazing if you could feed different triggers from throughout the game to do different video clips. Say when the shire is triggered show a clip from the shire, and when the gollum vuk is triggered show a scene with him in it... is that kind of thing possible with your current approach? It could bring a while new level of immersion to the game.

#42 6 years ago

I knew it....sum b*tch....I brought this up on Woz thread..! YES, YES, YES....

I'm in............

#43 6 years ago

An example of what I was talking about it (My family calls it OCD )
I made some police car mods for the Getaway and I wanted each of the lights to flash in a different speed or pattern to try and be as much as possible like a real police car, Ie the tail light blinking slower and to try and get that "rolling light" effect. I also made some of the cars custom to be car 504 with the star paint scheme like in the game.

Here is an older video for the lighting test on the car:

Thank Again

#44 6 years ago

Sounds great Ryan. I think the dark cloud faint eye for having the palantir unlit will be perfect.

The more I think about it, the more I think shots from the movie playing in it would seem like a distraction, and not hold true to the theme.

The palantir was, more or less, a video conferencing device. You saw in the palantir what was on the other side. And whoever was on the other side saw what what was on that side. In case anyone wants to get their geek on. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palantir

So since this is the palantir that Saruman has, only evil stuff is going to come out of it, as Sauron was on the other side of that connection.

I really am excited to see what you have when you have it.

Chris

#45 6 years ago

I cant imagine anyone that owns a LOTR would not want this mod LOL. Cant wait to see you what you come up with!

#46 6 years ago

Damn I wanna buy my LOTR back!!!

#47 6 years ago

I would want this mod! I will be following this thread!

#48 6 years ago

You are going to sell a lot of these.

#49 6 years ago
Quoted from krupa:

You are going to sell a lot of these.

you are going to sell them right?? I think you would have an angry mob on your hands if you don't

#50 6 years ago

I'm in!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 50.00
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
There are 147 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside