Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by barakandl
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

After many years (15+!), having an issue with the snagger toy in my Lost World. First it wasn't working at all, and drop taarget wasn't resetting. I found a loose wire/diode, reconnected, made sure drop switch worked. Also saw the flexible black plastic strip in the arm (covers the upper toothed belt and hinge area) was torn, so I removed that. (Still looking for a replacement!)

Now that it's back together, it almost works. It comes down fine. But, when going back up, it stutters a few times, and then starts to lift but the cycle ends before it is all the way up. Is this a belt alignment problem, or is the belt itself possibly defective? I have the manual but this toy is a PITA to work on, and I've not found a clear disassembly/adjustment guide. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Also, disabling the snagger toy in software isn't working, because the drop target isn't raising. The reset coil and switch for the drop are fine, and the reset and switch work fine in the test modes. Any suggestions? Thx!

#2 10 years ago

I guessing your screw on the hinge is loose. there is a set screw on the first hinge part that transfers power to the 2nd belt. It is at the base of the truck above the playfield. But you have to take the cover off. Check that. Also the drop target won't reset unless the game sees that the snagger is in "home" position. That's why that isn't resetting. I struggled with mine for awhile. Until I learned how to work on it. Definetly the downside to owning this game. Hope this helps.

#3 10 years ago

Thx! I'll check that stuff out. This is one of the biggest PITA toys I've ever seen on a pin. Apart from that, the game is pretty cool!!

#4 10 years ago

Yeah, its the main reason I sold my game. When I wasnt fixing it I did enjoy it tho.

#5 10 years ago

I can't sell mine. It is a 'trophy' as I won it in a tourney. SO it stays! ABout to open it up and check the set screw. Any tips on checking the belt alignment? I hope the belt isn't damaged--might be able to get a replacement but the swap will be incredibly... involved.

#6 10 years ago

OK, took the snagger all apart (a dreadful task). Turns out the timing belt was worn--about 1" of teeth completely worn, a few others at the other side worn down a bit. I found a few online and ordered them; once I check if it's the right belt (pretty sure it is!) I'll have 2-3 for sale at cost (around $6 each, shipped) if anyone is interested.

Also, is there any kind of special alignment for putting everything back together, so the motor stops when the snagger is all the way up? I want to make sure everything is lined up properly!

#7 10 years ago

Just had the same issue on mine. The upper belt is a relatively common 64MXL 1/8" wide. I ordered three from a motion industries supplier along with the nyliners needed to rebuild my snagger. The plastic timing belt appears to be similar stock stuff for the motion industry. Though I haven't investigated that one fully.

#9 10 years ago

Nice. That's an easy fix. It may need to be adjusted. But put it on and see how it goes. If its wrong advance the snagged all the way to one side and put it on. The snagged has limit switches underneath the play field. So it won't break the belts.

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

OK, took the snagger all apart (a dreadful task). Turns out the timing belt was worn--about 1" of teeth completely worn, a few others at the other side worn down a bit. I found a few online and ordered them; once I check if it's the right belt (pretty sure it is!) I'll have 2-3 for sale at cost (around $6 each, shipped) if anyone is interested.
Also, is there any kind of special alignment for putting everything back together, so the motor stops when the snagger is all the way up? I want to make sure everything is lined up properly!

ya there are those switches it hits.

Which belt? there is the black one and the tan ish one. I've been wanting a new one, but forgot which I don't have.

#11 10 years ago

Thx for the info! Pretty sure that's the belt I also ordered--took a bit of digging to find. Although my belt says 80mxl on it. 1/8" wide, 80 teeth. Are the limit switches on the motor itself? Not sure how to adjust to get things lined up, but I'll assemble with the new belt and see what happens! I bought a few extra belts for spares and because I was paying shipping anyway. Will offer a couple up at cost once I check them out.

[EDIT] northvibe, the belts I got are the black solid one on the front of the playfield. Lemme know if you need one. The orange one goes to the motor under the playfield, and is more like a chain with holes that looks sturdier. The thin plastic ribs on the black belt are what move the snagger sections to lift the ball and coil up. Not surprised they wore out after a while, as it's the same inch or so of the belt that always engages the front gear.

#12 10 years ago

Interesting. The one I pulled from mine was definitely marked 64MXL, which has 80 teeth depending who's spec you read (I stopped counting when I got past 64). This machine has had a hard life, no telling what the previous owners did to it. The new ones arrived today. I may get it reassembled this weekend. Anybody else want to pull their snagger apart and look at the belt?

The other belt that extends below the playfield can probably be purchased from wmberg or pic-design if you can figure out the proper pitch. They also have a lot of hard to find sprockets, pulleys and other fun stuff.

#13 10 years ago

I guess it's Snagger Repair Season!

1 week later
#14 10 years ago

Got my snagger repaired and reinstalled. I ended up using the manual snagger motor control to drive the snagger all the way to the down position, then installed it. That was a lot easier than trying to get everything set with the motor in the up position. The hardest part for me was the lower sprocket/plastic timing belt. The previous owner appears to have dropped the snagger and mushroomed some of the teeth. The belt was migrating off the timing gear after a few up/down cycles. I ended up grinding off the mushroomed portion of the timing gear teeth and smoothing their profile to get the belt to work correctly. I'll likely throw another one of these gears in with my next large order.

Anybody have any good, detailed pictures of the snagger coil wire routing below the playfield? I can't seem to get mine in a position where it doesn't get caught up in the motor and timing gear.

#15 10 years ago

Snagger is fixed!!!! Got a chance to replace the timing belt, and somehow managed to get it lined up. When I tried it a few times, the Home/Down was off, but managed to get it lined up with the manual snagger motor test. Then it seemed to be working but the magnet in the snagger wouldn't grab the ball--it would start to, then let go just as the snagger started rising. Not sure what the problem was, ran some more tests, and now the magnet grabs and drops it just fine. It does come up more straight now (instead of bending first), but I don't want to mess with it. I think something is a bit tight where the front 2 sections pivot. But it works! Wiped down the rest of the game and it is screaming fast. Makes games like ST (which I also played today) look slo-mo.

So, I have 3 extra belts for sale. (The front thin solid belt, not the 'chain' belt that goes to the motor below the pf.) I bought a few extra because shipping was pricey from the source where I found them. I'll sell them at my cost, $7 each shipped (first-class envelope). Or, as a special to fellow Pinsiders, I'll sell them at the Pinsider-approved price spot of a bit below standard/retail prices for the good deal I found. Since they go for $25+shipping each at Marcos, the special Pinsider price is $20.50. Your choice of which deal you want. PM me if you want one!

1 year later
#16 8 years ago

Hi all, quick question. I get a snagged error message every 2-3 times even though it's working. Any ideas what could cause that?

Thanks
James

#17 8 years ago
Quoted from Jimmyapple:

Hi all, quick question. I get a snagged error message every 2-3 times even though it's working. Any ideas what could cause that?
Thanks
James

There is probably a snagger test in diag mode. Go there, make sure the associated switches work. My thought is for the game to pop an error about the snagger, it is expecting a switch to close that never does.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
3,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
New Castle, PA

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lost-world-snagger-problems and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.