(Topic ID: 57719)

Lost World Jurassic Park snagger troubles.

By Milton187

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 69 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by northvibe
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Milton187.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 10 years ago

Hey folks,

I have a LWJP that the play field magnet quits before the snagger grabs it.
The magnet energizes and usually grabs the ball but then quits and the snagger goes
back. In the switch test the "snagger motor home" and I think something like "snagger down"
are closed.

Any ideas as to why the mag quits?

Milton

#3 10 years ago

Thanks LTG!

I will give it a whirl when I get done chowin'!

How's the WOZ? I was down there to pick up a hailed S.I. but again,
did not have time to stop! One of these days I'm going to get a room and
hit all the arcades!

Milton

#4 10 years ago

Wait! It is the play field mag that stops!

Milton

#5 10 years ago

Anyone? Play field mag quits and then the snagger does not move and eventually returns to the home position.
Sometimes the snagger gets partway towards the mag captured ball but usually
the play field mag quits and then it goes back home.
Should I check the transistor?

Milton

#7 10 years ago

Hi StevenP,

The magnet is a little loose between the core and the bracket. But the core is tight against the
play field. The magnet works in the test phase. The snagger operation and snagger motor do not.

I pulled the assembly and the little board on the motor assembly has had some repairs. The holes
are messed up or I would re-populate the board. I will look for a replacement and see if that cures my probs!

Milty

#9 10 years ago

Hey StevenP,

You can get one at Marco's. 520-5162-00 Opto slotted board.

https://www.marcospecialties.com/control/keywordsearch?SEARCH_STRING=520-5162-00

I have not checked with Jimmy @ the pinball resource yet. I'm not 100% sure that's it.
I don't have any more time until tomorrow night to diagnose. I may just jumper out the board to
make sure before I order it.

Milty

#10 10 years ago

Well I really must have messed it up now! I put the motor back in and now it reports an error!

"Coil 18 Use Snagger Test" and now the center drop target does not reset! Yikes! I had better
quit fixing stuff!

Milton

#12 10 years ago

I have done some more diagnostics: IF I enter the diagnostic portal and select "Lost", I can energize the motor and it will move up and down. I have verified the correct switches are closed. (Motor home, snagger down, drop target down).

When playing, the ball always gets captured by the upper pf magnet. Then it rolls down the lane and gets "caught" by the lower play field magnet. It holds it for about a second
and then releases it. The snagger usually does not move. Sometimes I get the snagger sound effects. In diagnostic mode the mag works fine.

Any ideas?

Milton

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

Any chance you accidentally disabled the snagger in the game settings menu?

Nope. I wish! Sometimes it partially works. The snagger will start to come up but the lower pf magnet lets the ball go and it stops.

Will try some more tomorrow night.

Milty

#16 10 years ago

I will check to see if there is another switch stuck on.

You may be on to something!

Milton

#18 10 years ago

I think StevenP is on to something with another switch being on.

I have not got time to check it out.

Milton

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

Ah, a stuck or intermittent switch could stop the snagger, because the game thinks the ball isn't being held. Good thought. Try entering switch test mode, bump the game, see if a switch triggers.... (The shaker could trigger a tight switch!)

That's what I'm thinking. I remember before being in the switch test mode and I think there was a
"ball trough" switch on. When I get some free time tonight I will diagnose and report.

Milt

#21 10 years ago

I only had a second to check it out. Active switch shows the "VUK opto trough".

I bet that is the prob. It thinks it lost the ball before it does! I will check it out on Monday
and report the findings!

I hope I can sleep this weekend wondering about it!

Milty

#22 10 years ago

Well that is not the problem. Back to square one. Active switches show 1,2,3, and 4th ball vuk.
Motor home, snagger down.

Weird! The top magnet snags the ball. Gravity rolls it to the pf mag below the snagger. It energizes for a second and stops the ball then quits. It activates the snagger sounds but the snagger does not move. In the diagnostic screen I can move the snagger.

Any ideas?

Milton

#25 10 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Run the test on the drop target in front of the snagger truck.

Drop target down works as well as drop target reset.
In the "Coil Test" the snagger will not operate.
In the "Lost" test the snagger works fine.

Crazy! Also in the switch test I noticed the entry/exit ramp switches are wrong on both sides. The exit is the first switch and the entry is the second!
Checking the wiring confirms they are wired correct. (i.e. brown/orange to brown/orange)
I think this must be a error on Sega's part.

Milton

#26 10 years ago

Any Sega techs out there?
Routers? Someone must have had this problem before!

Milton

#28 10 years ago

I pulled the whole mech and looked at everything.
The frame was a little twisted. Installed new opto board on the motor.
Same problems. Now the unit will only go "down". Checked the overtravel switches and they
are working as they should. In the "up" mode the relay just clicks.

Anyone have any suggestions where to go now?

Thank you for your time,

milton

#29 10 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

So the issue with mine is. The ball goes to lock and the snagger doesn't come down. But the snagger works in test(s). So I need to troubleshoot mine as well. I have it at my 2nd data center though, so it will be when I am not so busy :/

Does your lower pf magnet grab the ball then let go?

Milty

#30 10 years ago

I back traced power to the relay board.
Relay will not stay engaged. Ordered new relay. Will check wires and transistors now.

Milton

#31 10 years ago

Another thing I find that switch 20 is stuck on.
Switch 20 is not used.

Anyone have a LWJP that they can verify switch 20 is on?

Milton

#33 10 years ago

All transistors check good.
In the service alerts it claims switch 20 is stuck on.

In the switch test it does not report switch 20 as being on.

Milton

#34 10 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Ok so my LW is at a data center, I was there this morning and the guys said, the lower magnet holds the ball but the snagger just never lowers down.
What should happen, is the drop target, drops, the snagger lowers, grabs ball, raises up and the drop target pops back up.
EDIT: I have verified the drop target works no issue during game play.

You have a different problem then me I believe. I would check the motor limit switches IF the optos
report good in the switch test. (i.e. motor home, snagger home, drop target down) IF the overtravel switch is engaged it will cut power to the snagger.

I will install new relay tomorrow IF it arrives in time. I did notice both transistors 18 and 19 have been replaced before. 18 must be a crossover as it is different from the rest of the them.

Milton

#35 10 years ago

I can't figure out the "Switch 20 on". Switch 20 is not used! I think that is what is making
this whole problem.

I might have to start a new thread! Anyone with a LWJP have the same problem?

Milton

#37 10 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

I can check my service alerts to see if switch 20 is on....

Sweet! Thanks.

Milton

#38 10 years ago

Replaced the relay. It no longer clicks but still no reverse.

Took the assembly back down and checked it over. Bad diode on limit switch and
limit switch is intermittent. Using the "Dr.Pinball" on the service screen and following
all their "tests" it claims the I/O board is bad. I will wait for a limit switch and install new
diode and report. The switch 20 stuck on is what worries me. Perhaps the Dr. is right and the I/O is
bad.

Milton

#41 10 years ago

Hey northvibe,

I'm glad to see you have the same switch stuck open.
That leads me to believe it is the bad limit switch/diode.

That would be too easy. Still would not account for the magnet releasing prematurely.

On Monday I should have more time to sort it.

Milton

#44 10 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Oh I mean brown wire on the trip coil. I'm going to resolder it. Otherwise you use a multimeter on the diodes?

Hi northvibe,

I was talking about my machine and what I believe is the problem. A bad limit switch and a bad diode. It may explain the replaced transistors on the board. IF the diode was bad then it may have taken out the tranny. They replaced the tranny but did not find the bad diode?

The stuck switch #20 really had me thinking it was causing the magnet to let go.
The machine thinking it did not have the ball because a switch was activated. But now that I see yours has the same thing I believe I can rule it out.

Hopefully the switch arrives soon and I will let you know if that solves it.
I think the snagger will then move in both directions but the mag will still not hang onto the ball.

Milton

#46 10 years ago

Hey northvibe,

Will do! Hopefully the switch arrives today!

Milty

#47 10 years ago

I need a pic of the wiring on the limit switch on the snagger motor.

Mine looks to be wired different then it shows in the manual.
IF someone could take a pic of theirs I would really appreciate it.

Thank you for your time,

Milton

#48 10 years ago

Can anyone take a pic of the motor assembly under the PF?

I need a closeup of the limit switch and diode. I think the manual is wrong.

Milton

#50 10 years ago

Hi northvibe,

Thanks. The manual is wrong. I will hook it up the way I think electricity works and
see what happens!

Milton

#52 10 years ago

Ok- Replaced limit switch and diode and snagger now works perfectly in test mode.

I have not tried it in a game yet. Hey northvibe, I also ran across a cliffy with no holes
and no front lip. It should work fine. (Still did not find original and the one extra).

I ordered a couple of new bearings and a new belt for it. I also may drill new mounting holes.

Milton

#53 10 years ago

Still have the same problem in a game. IF I put the ball on the lower pf magnet the snagger works fine. But if you roll the ball down the lane from the upper it grabs it for a second or two then wobbles off the magnet!

Anyone have this problem and solve it?

Milton

#54 10 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Oh no. The manual is wrong? Let me know. I'll post a pic etc when I return. Did they release manuals in revisions? Like an updated one with fixed to mistakes?
My machine has a new issue I think the ball trough is having issues registering balls. It keeps kicking out balls not matter what. So every game is a multiball mayhem. I got a pic sent to me of 16 million..... And they usually can't crack 5. :/ either the optos are dirty again or the rollover switches aren't functioning.

Well, the manual shows the snagger ass. with the diode connecting the common with the no switch contact. It should be on the nc contact pointing the other direction. To be fair it probably shown just for reference. It's a pretty straight forward system. The over travel switch cuts out the power if the opto misses it. This prevents the snagger from breaking a belt or something similar.

IF you are having trough issues that could cause your snagger to misbehave! The optos on the trough assy. are notorious for problems. I would solder a new led and receiver. They are cheap and easy to do.

I am about ready to give up on the snagger issue. I may replace the magnet in another effort of plug and pray!

Milton

#55 10 years ago

Playing the machine today and it successfully snagged the ball 3 out of 5 times!
Weird!

Milton

#56 10 years ago

I was looking at the magnets for sale and noticed mine maybe incorrect!
Mine looks exactly like the one in the picture WITHOUT the diode! Monday night
I will test mine to see if it has the diode. The mag has been replaced on this unit and
it could be they subbed the incorrect unit. They may have used the wrong mag and added the
diode. It might explain the replacement of the mag control transistor. They hardly ever go bad.

I will check Monday night and report.

Milton

#58 10 years ago

Checked mag. They used the non-diode mag and added the diode.
I replaced it since I had it off for checking. I also noticed I needed to bend the outside lane
metal guide out to deflect the ball to the lower PF mag. Now it works about four out of five times!

Milton

2 months later
#60 10 years ago

Does the drop target switch work?

Milton

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 250.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.25
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

4,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
FlipMods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 100.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 1.00
Lighting - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
$ 89.99
Cabinet - Decals
Maine Home Recreation

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 12,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Machine - For Sale
London, ON
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Mariposa, CA
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Milton187.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lost-world-jurassic-park-snagger-troubles?tu=Milton187 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.