Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 months ago by TheLaw
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 1 year ago

Are there screen shots somewhere with the different shots clearly labeled? I'm new to the hobby and get confused with similar terminology.
i.e., right orbit, right ramp, mini loop, etc.

I'm going through the rulesheet, but it confuses me even more.

#2 1 year ago
Quoted from Jerryg529:

Are there screen shots somewhere with the different shots clearly labeled? I'm new to the hobby and get confused with similar terminology.

I’ve had my Avengers for more than 2 years and the ruleset still confuses me.

#3 1 year ago

Have you watched the PAPA tutorial? Always the first thing I do when I pick up a new pin with a complicated rule set.

#4 1 year ago

I just keep shooting at stuff that's lit or blinking.

#5 1 year ago
Quoted from Jerryg529:

Orbits on games are typically the shots that are the furthest right and left. Many times in a game design hitting one orbit will take the ball on a path all the way around (orbiting) the back of the playfield and exiting the opposite lane. On AIQ it doesn't do this though, since the right orbit takes the ball up the back ramp and to the flipper.

Right Ramp is the Gauntlet Ramp. Located between the center ramp and the Captain Marvel shot, mainly made from the upper or left flippers but can be backhanded from the right flipper also. Since there isn't a ramp at Captain Marvel on the pro version of the game they called the right ramp the one that's furthest right on all versions of it.

The mini loop is the shot from the upper flipper that loops back around. Also sometimes called an inner orbit.

#6 1 year ago

Most Stern Spike-2 games have gameplay tutorial videos that show during the attract mode. Each video slowly scrolls up the playfield, showing (and naming) the shots you need to make to play game-specific modes and multiballs.

Your Avengers IQ should have them if its game code is reasonably up to date. (Use the flipper buttons when no game is in progress to step through the display screens to see the videos.)

#7 12 months ago

Just watch RayDay’s tutorial. It’s a great resource from the guy who came up with most of the rules.

#8 12 months ago

I've played hundreds of games,watched videos and read the small novel/rule sheet numerous times and I have no more understanding than i did after 30 minutes of my first day playing. The rules are an absolute hot shit mess to put it mildly.

#9 12 months ago

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glossary_of_pinball_terms

https://www.homeleisuredirect.com/pinball-machines/technical-advice/pinball-terminology-for-new-pinball-owners.html

The manual also has a parts breakdown

I have an Avengers Pro and I don't share the sentiment that the rules are impossible to learn. I played some games, read the manual and watched a video. It all makes sense to me. I know the ruleset is seen as a negative by many, but the challenge of the game is particularly why I enjoy it.

#10 12 months ago
Quoted from Jerryg529:

AIQ is a great shooting pin, but every time I start to watch the videos about the rules, my eyes rollback into my head. And no way an I going to watch a rule video that is 1.5-2 hours long. I try to find the videos that just cover the basics, I don't need to learn every rule all at once.

In the end, I just shoot the blinking lights hoping I get them all.

I definitely have a love/hate relationship with that pin.

Stern's rule sheet (too complicated for me to read): https://sternpinball.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/AIQ-Rule-Sheet.pdf

#11 12 months ago
Quoted from Jerryg529:

I'm new to the hobby...

Welcome to the hobby. AIQ is an amazing game, but it lends itself to more experienced players. Both the layout and the deep rules. I'm a 'rules guy'. Play on location regularly and research rules on the games I play. But for games like AIQ, I won't try to learn all the rules because you kind of need to own one to comprehend it properly. My basic strategy on AIQ is to collect the time gem first. Fairly easy to collect, extends ball savers considerably.

Even simpler games today, like Munsters or Stranger Things, have relatively deep rules. Trying to comprehend AIQ rules without owning one and being new to the hobby is like trying to climb Mt Everest on your first ever hiking trip. Don't torture yourself. Figure out enough to get extra balls and replays and leave the rest of the rules until you own one.

#12 12 months ago
Quoted from Puffdanny:

....and I have no more understanding than i did after 30 minutes of my first day playing.

OK Panama Red. Try putting the bong down for 30 minutes.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 255.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 6.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 65.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 749.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Orange County Pinballs

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 34.00
$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

Playfield - Other
Lenticular Designs

€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 120.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

7,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Coopersburg, PA
€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

9,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
The Villages, FL
6,800 (OBO)
$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

€ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Old Town Pinball

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 125.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 27.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.