(Topic ID: 160560)

Lost Mojo

By jardine

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 7 years ago

I'm sure most of us have been through this from time to time but this is a first for me.

I've lost my pinball mojo. I haven't played any of my pins in probably months now and quite honestly have no interest in doing so. I don't know what's going on in the pin world as much as I used to nor do I want to.

Prices are out of control which only adds to my depression of not being able to afford one again and honestly I just kinda got sick of the community in Australia (but in particular a few players that are loved), for reasons I don't really want to go into.

Any help!

How did you guys find your love again...or did you do what I'm thinking and just pack them up, store them and move on!

#2 7 years ago

Maybe time to take a break and remember what you did like about pinball. Then do that. Maybe you got stretched in other pinball directions and lost sight of what you enjoyed.

LTG : )

#3 7 years ago

Find somebody with some snappy, fun EMs. Nothing rekindles the joy like a few good games with chimes. Play what you like and ignore the masses. Find someone to temporarily trade a machine with. Take one apart and put it back together.

Or.

Chill until you're feeling it again.

#4 7 years ago

Been there. Started collecting in the late 1990's. Around 2005/6 other things in my life took over. Packed up my games, put them in my (owned) storage. Moved to a new, bigger house in 2012 and games are back set up and my love for the hobby is stronger then ever.

#5 7 years ago

Don't worry about the cost of games, you don't need 'A' list games to enjoy pinball

Stay off the forums, I am surprised by the comments by some supossedly grown men

Just close your game room door, find something else fun to do for a few months

#6 7 years ago

That happened to me also.I was spending too much money on pinball so I gave it a rest and then I worked a bunch of overtime for several years so very rarely played my machines.Decided to make myself start playing and I think I like it more than ever before.Went to PAGG lots of great new machines,really liked TH and played some of the newer Sterns that I really enjoyed.Give it a break,your love of pinball will come back.Just don't do what I did,left the batteries in my MM,MB and BSD.The batteries started to leak,the MM and MB are good but the BSD is having some problems.

#7 7 years ago

Not good to hear man. my suggestion, Restoration! I've never really experienced a lull in my enthusiasm but for the past 6-12 months I've almost enjoyed restoring machines more than playing them. That whole process of bringing something back to life and getting joy out of the art of it all is really good.

#8 7 years ago

Damn. I'm not the only one feeling like this. It just seems like every time I try to get things going again in regards to pinball/ video games something always comes along and derails what little progress I make. It's so frustrating although I continue to hang in there. I think I'm gonna follow mentioned advice and concentrate on something else for a while. I'm still going to hang out on Pinsider to keep abreast of current events. Hopefully things will work out for the better.

#9 7 years ago

Good luck to ya. Been through that a couple times now. Right now back on an upswing and re-acquanting myself. I think life just gets in the way sometimes and thats lifes way of focusing you on whats imporant at the moment. Focus on that, don't try to force yourself to play, that will only make things worse. For me, once things start settling down the games start speaking to me again and I wonder why I ever put them down

#10 7 years ago
    Quoted from jardine:

How did you guys find your love again...or did you do what I'm thinking and just pack them up, store them and move on!

If the games owe you nothing. Great. Pack them up, put them aside. (Possibly sell a couple off). Do that for a couple of years, or how ever long it takes. If looking at them pains you then, Sadly, it will might be time to put this hobby on hold. As for pin values in Australia would you be able replace any of the games in a few years? Will prices be higher for new games? Most likely.

Keep Smiling, and try to Have Fun!

#11 7 years ago

Thanks for the words guys....reading this makes me realise that I'm not the only one this has happened to....which I knew anyway.

I think I'll just leave the games where they are and see what happens...see if they call out to me like what mercat said. I do like the idea of buying a junk machine and restoring it...if only I had the skills....or mojo...lol

Cheers guys.

#12 7 years ago
    Quoted from jardine:

. I do like the idea of buying a junk machine and restoring it...if only I had the skills....or mojo...lol
    Cheers guys.

Not having the skills is half the fun! not only do you get to restore a machine but you get to learn a whole new set of skills, it's a double win. Those skills also have some practical application to other things in life too

#13 7 years ago

Hui

Quoted from jardine:Thanks for the words guys....reading this makes me realise that I'm not the only one this has happened to....which I knew anyway.
    I think I'll just leave the games where they are and see what happens...see if they call out to me like what mercat said. I do like the idea of buying a junk machine and restoring it...if only I had the skills....or mojo...lol
    Cheers guys.

That is what I am doing
    Too afraid to stuff up one of my more pricey games, I bought a $500 X's & O's that I will fix up so it runs as new

#14 7 years ago

I too really enjoy the restoration aspect. Some of the most fun I have had was buying a junker (literally for a six pack of beer) and working on it waaaay over my head at the time.... Does it work today? Lol no... But it was on its way to the dump anyway so whats the harm? Maybe someday I will get back to that one and actually finish it off (got hung up on playfield restoration).

I'm right now kind of interested in designing / making some custom mods and the stuff they are coming out with in custom pin controllers really excites me.

Again, if none of that speaks to you, take it easy, do what does. The hobby will be waiting for you when your ready.

It may be a good idea to prep yor games for safe storage, even if you'll be keeping them in your game room. Since they wont be getting their normal attention it wouldn't hurt to make sure batteries are out, games are unplugged and maybe even put some moisture absorbing packs in them. When I last put mine up I also covered them to keep out the excess dust.

#15 7 years ago

I know the feeling as well and was doing alot of mods but now going to concentrate on designing a game instead of mods for everyone else.

#16 7 years ago

You can't change the world we live in so just IGNORE and enjoy. ( I learnt this and am waaaaaaaay happier )

#17 7 years ago

I took nearly a decade off between getting burned out on the hobby - similar reasons to yours - and needing to invest time in home renovations and not having the space.

Now I mostly concentrate on restoration, I like it much better. Fewer people involved!

#18 7 years ago

I would do 3 things:

1. Really get into all the rules of the pins you have. I did that just the other day and it really brought back the enjoyment of a pin I hadn't put much time on lately.

2. As mentioned, spend some time doing a full shop of a pin and then play it a bunch.

3. Pick up an EM and bring it back to its former glory. Nothing beats those chimes and pops. Schematics look overwhelming, but it's a neat challenge. You'll really feel like you 'know' the pin when you're done. Too many people are missing out on some great pins because they don't have ramps or a DMD. They are fun (and sometimes frustrating) to work on and there's a great EM group here to help out.

If the love for a certain pin isn't there, consider selling it and picking up something new. You have some nice pins!

#19 7 years ago

Sometimes you just need a break. I remember when I was 17 many many moons ago playing EATPM at 7'11. Events took me away from the game. Couple years later was obsessed playing Funhouse at a Divebar. GOD I wish I would of known then I could of been buying these games from operators cheap back then! Back then I could of bought Funhouse easily I sunk a ton of cash in that game. Fast forward to now and I'm obsessed.

I've taken some breaks here and there but still playing league every Wednesday.

I just hate it when I loose my Skill Mojo.... That's the worst!!

#20 7 years ago

Simple...

Liquid Mojo Drink lot's of alcohol and then start playing. You will be back on the ball in no time.

#21 7 years ago

Well, just because you have no interest in something doesn't mean you won't have fun if you actually do it.

#22 7 years ago
    Quoted from anonymatt:

Well, just because you have no interest in something doesn't mean you won't have fun if you actually do it.

Problem is I can't walk up to a machine yet....hence no interest in playing..regardless if it's fun or not....but I get what you're saying.

#23 7 years ago
    Quoted from jardine:

prices are out of control which only adds to my depression of not being able to afford one again and honestly I just kinda got sick of the community in Australia (but in particular a few players that are loved)

Avoid those guys and stick with the ones that want to have fun.

#24 7 years ago

Party with the one's that do the homebrew Bourbon and have a Daytona machine

#25 7 years ago

I am in similar situation and understand where you are coming from jardine. After 15 years of ownership I feel as if I need a break. I no longer spend hours playing but rather just flip on a single machine for a few quick games. I have set aside the two restorations underway and have headed outdoors to enjoy the nice but rather wet springtime weather. I think I spend too much time on this forum as well but it is rather addicting. Pinball has pretty much taken over my life for the last decade or so and I am going to climb out of the bubble and try to experience all the other wonderful things life has to offer. I do feel comfort knowing that the pins will be there for me whenever I choose to power them on. I am sure you will get your mojo back jardine and just know that there are others out here feeling the same way. SB

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lost-mojo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.