Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

F05F433C-A37A-452D-98AD-90203E0F2A39 (resized).png
drill (resized).jpg
power-drill-1 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MrArt2u.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#8 5 years ago

There is not a universal key for pinball backboxes like there are for jukeboxes and other coin operated devices. (The coin boxes on those have unique keys but many models shared the same keys to the guts, making things easier for service people)
If I understand correctly, the lock is unlocked so it is not preventing you access. If you do decide you want a key, as mentioned before, if you take the lock to a locksmith he can cut you a new key for it. I would add that it doesn’t have to be expensive, they are really simple locks. My local guy only charges about $10/$15 to do it if I leave it with him.
Since it doesn’t have to be Fort Knox quality, you can also disassemble the lock, slide another key in the exposed cylinder (maybe your coin door key?) and file down the proud brass bits flush with the cylinder until it rotated freely in the barrel with the key inserted. Now you have both locks keyed alike and it will be secure enough for home use.

#16 5 years ago

if you have access to a 1382 or 7500 key, those are the most common keys used recently and the closest thing to a universal key these days (only if the game has had new locks in the last 10-15 years or however long Steve Young has sold those 1382 locks)

I have several coffee cans full of old pinball keys sorted by type that have never let me down when I get a game without keys. (not applicable to you but for the sake of others - picking the lock and installing a new one is a lot faster than going through the can!)

I've worked on several hundreds of games myself and I haven't run across the "limited" key unless a bunch of games in a certain geographical area were all keyed alike by an operator at some point, so it is very possible.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 11.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MrArt2u.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lost-key-universal-keys?tu=MrArt2u and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.