You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“lost interest in playing....”

• hell no, pinball forever!!!! 46 votes
    18%
  • sometimes, but a short break usually fixes that. 159 votes
    61%
  • yeah, its just cool stuff to look at. i just play them once in a while. 51 votes
    19%
  • yes, i think i will give up at some point in time. waiting for code sucks anyway. 6 votes
    2%

(262 votes)

There are 88 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 6 years ago

just curious, has anyone else lost interest in playing their pins? i do not want to hear the crap with sell me your games etc. its just been not alot of fun playing in recent months, owned pins for over 20 years, dont want to give up on it and won't. just wondering if anyone else gets bored with playing them for long stretches? been enjoying playing stuff that is simple, drop target games to see if my attitude changes, but.... when i look at the whole line of games nothing appeals anymore.

#2 6 years ago

I’ve lost interest in owning pinball machines personally due to all the headaches, but playing pinball in kickass locations, YES PLEASE! For $20 I more than get my fill for the week

#3 6 years ago

I only have one, but I get bored of working on it. I usually like the atmosphere of a bar better too, even if I'm not being social. I've definitely played myself out of certain games, but not pinball in general.

#4 6 years ago

Not at all. I do sometimes get frustrated with them when something breaks but I always love to play a game. Not sure if it would help but I find playing with friends gets me as excited as they are to come over and try them. It renews the vigor a bit.

#5 6 years ago

The frustration of nib games having problems right out of the box spoiled my fun in getting new games
My old stuff works like a charm every time !!

Older is better for sure

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from SDTMinSTL:

Not at all. I do sometimes get frustrated with them when something breaks but I always love to play a game. Not sure if it would help but I find playing with friends gets me as excited as they are to come over and try them. It renews the vigor a bit.

its always more fun with friends to enjoy them with

#7 6 years ago

My interest in every hobby comes and goes through the months/years. I dont expect pinball to be different, even though it seems to be more persistent than others. Playing Virtual Pinball helps because of the diversity in tables, and it makes playing my only real machine a breath of fresh air.

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from PinsideTroll:

just curious, has anyone else lost interest in playing their pins? i do not want to hear the crap with sell me your games etc. its just been not alot of fun playing in recent months, owned pins for over 20 years, dont want to give up on it and won't. just wondering if anyone else gets bored with playing them for long stretches? been enjoying playing stuff that is simple, drop target games to see if my attitude changes, but.... when i look at the whole line of games nothing appeals anymore.

That usually just means it's time to refresh the lineup. Send some of those down the road to make room for the new hotness.

#10 6 years ago

its always more fun with friends to enjoy them with

+1

Quoted from G-Bee:

My interest in every hobby comes and goes through the months/years. I dont expect pinball to be different, even though it seems to be more persistent than others. Playing Virtual Pinball helps because of the diversity in tables, and it makes playing my only real machine a breath of fresh air.

this is soooooo true. but this is the most expensive hobby I have ever been involved in, and I'm just not good at selling things when I jump to a different hobby!

#11 6 years ago

I buy less games than when I started since my room is full, so that dampens the excitement somewhat, but the one thing that keeps me in is the weekly league I play with. These are my friends and I enjoy hanging out with them.

#12 6 years ago

My excitement typically goes with the seasons. When the weather gets cold and damp I spend more time inside playing pinball. Once the weather breaks I have kids sporting events, fishing, camp, and it's my busy time for work. I sometimes go a month without playing a game which helps me to not burnout on pinball. Then once the cold months roll back around I play more.

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

That usually just means it's time to refresh the lineup. Send some of those down the road to make room for the new hotness.

Getting in a new game is always exciting. Change up the lineup more often to keep things fresh. There are SO many games out there to enjoy!

#14 6 years ago

Sure. You can take a break from pinball but you'll be back. They always come back.

#15 6 years ago

just wondering if anyone else gets bored with playing them for long stretches?

All that sounds pretty normal. I go through periods where I have to shut down my hobbies because I have other stuff going on and I'm too exhausted, but they are always there for me when I am ready to play again.

#16 6 years ago

I will never lose interest in pinball.

#17 6 years ago

I would suggest going to play a TNA on location or at a friends house. If that does not rejuvenate your interest, nothing will

Good luck and if it is time to bow out then enjoy whatever new hobby you find after you sell everything off.

#18 6 years ago

Taking a break from it every so often is good.

#19 6 years ago

For Pinball specifically, I can tend to lose interest for a short time when I have more than 1 game down. I don’t have a large collection and that’s when it can start to feel like work. I just want to play a dang game, not look st parts I have to order or a problem to diagnose.. but eventually I get around to it and things are back up! My IJ is falling in and out of favor lately and it may be the next to go..

#20 6 years ago

After 12 yrs I still play every day but I now play 2 or 3 games a day there was a time I played 1 or 2 hr a day

#21 6 years ago

Lost interest when my mom passed last summer. Recently getting back into it. Friends have helped. Did think at one point about selling all of them though. Life can be fickle for many reasons.

#22 6 years ago

I think it's normal for interest to ebb and flow.

I don't always have time to play a lot, but one of the main things I like about pinball is you can usually get a few games in quickly.

#23 6 years ago

Just came out of a long break myself.
Just didn't have the interest I used to.
That said, back in the gameroom lately,
say two three nights a week.
Diagnosis: it comes and it goes, no big deal.

#24 6 years ago

I have a bit different perspective than most on here. My answer is yes.
Having 14 in my basement at my peak, I now own just 2 and one of those I helped design.
5 years ago I made pinball repair and restoration my full time job and it has stolen my hobby from me.
I still enjoy fixing them for the most part, but my wanting to PLAY them has waned almost completely. I used to play in local pinball leagues and have ZERO interest in doing it anymore.
Moral to the story is don't make your hobby your job.

As an avid Iron Maiden collector, and an LE will be added to my collection and kicking around the idea of adding a TNA once production catches up. Maybe those will reignite my interest.

#25 6 years ago

Low play drive is often a natural effect of aging.

#26 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

they make a pill for that...

#27 6 years ago

I'm tired of my games and haven't been playing lately. I think about selling a few to bring in something fresh, but I just can't bring myself to let them go.

#28 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I found myself suffering from this, but then I found some local stores that sold alcohol supplements in liquid form, available in cans and/or bottles in a multitude of flavors, that helped me regain my vim and vigor (yeah, both of them), and put a sloppy pep in my step. These easily drinkable supplements have increased my play drive tremendously.

#29 6 years ago

Yup.

I don't really play mine at all (never really did). It was more about tinkering/fixing for me. But with the same fixes always popping up, it stopped being a learning experience for me a long time ago.

I know I should sell them and put the money into stuff I'm enjoying now. Trust me, I'm looking at the space they are taking up and thinking about a dual VR game room.

#30 6 years ago

i go months without playing sometimes .... then will play every night on some weeks.

#31 6 years ago
Quoted from dgoett:

5 years ago I made pinball repair and restoration my full time job and it has stolen my hobby from me.
I still enjoy fixing them for the most part, but my wanting to PLAY them has waned almost completely

Totally agree. One of the top two phrases that are bull crap is “Do what you love and never have to work another day of your life”. It takes your love and makes it work, which takes the love away. That’s happened to me in certain areas of my life too.

The other bs phrase....”happy wife, happy life”....

#32 6 years ago

It's funny, I was thinking of posting a topic like this myself. I never owned a machine before this summer. I got heavily into pinball while visiting Florida and going to silverball museum several times and being introduced to JJP.

I really wanted a Dialed In but decided to wait to see what JJPotc would be like, and got a TAF in the meantime. (My only machine) I was very enthusiastic at first, playing and learning how to do a flipper rebuild.

But now I find I don't play much at all. When I do it's super fun and it's great when guests come over. Pinstadium did help keep my interest a bit longer and sometimes I just turn it on for the lighting effect.

My plan was always to sell the TAF and get a JJP game, but now I'm wondering if the same thing will happen, and I'll just have $10,000 tied up in a box of lights sitting in my living room that I hardly play. Opinions?

#33 6 years ago

Totally normal. I have a few hobbies that go through cycles. I've even had breaks in these hobbies that lasted a few years. Perfectly normal. I think its a sign of a healthy mind. Go take up another hobby or revisit an old one. Examine your priorities in life. It is mentally invigorating!

Keep the pins tough as I'm sure you'll come back with a fresh and renewed interest in the hobby. You'll rediscover the joy in pinball.

#34 6 years ago

Do you play in a league? Don’t have to be into competitive play to enjoy sociallising with other pinheads on a monthly basis. If that’s not your thing try playing on location to see if it’s really just your games that aren’t exciting or if you have just lost interest for now.

I wouldn’t rush to change up your home lineup as others have suggested. The new and shinny high doesn’t last long and the you will be back at square one. If there are games down in your collection get them fixed even if it means having to call in a tech. There’s no bigger buzz kill then broken games taking up space.

If you do decide that you need a change up my advice looking at your collection would be.
Keep the medieval/mettalica/whirlwind/earthshaker sell the rest and add two early solid states either Bally or Stern Flash Gordan/meteor/8 ball delux/Stars etc.. Dropping a couple of games is not going to hurt and you will feel better for being able to let some go. Adding a couple of early solid states is the best for home environments. Short quick intense play is often all you want after a day at work.

#35 6 years ago
Quoted from Vdrums:

It's funny, I was thinking of posting a topic like this myself. I never owned a machine before this summer. I got heavily into pinball while visiting Florida and going to silverball museum several times and being introduced to JJP.
I really wanted a Dialed In but decided to wait to see what JJPotc would be like, and got a TAF in the meantime. (My only machine) I was very enthusiastic at first, playing and learning how to do a flipper rebuild.
But now I find I don't play much at all. When I do it's super fun and it's great when guests come over. Pinstadium did help keep my interest a bit longer and sometimes I just turn it on for the lighting effect.
My plan was always to sell the TAF and get a JJP game, but now I'm wondering if the same thing will happen, and I'll just have $10,000 tied up in a box of lights sitting in my living room that I hardly play. Opinions?

Honestly it seems like you are more into shiny lights and collecting stuff than Pinball. If you are already burned out, I’m sure the same thing will happen with your pirates game.

That being said, who cares? Pirates will look cool in your apartment and will dazzle guests for like 10 minutes. No need to give up on the hobby now.

Pinball doesn’t need to be a lifestyle. It can just be a hobby, a diversion.

#36 6 years ago

Very normal for me. I absolutely go in spurts. One of the important things has always been to just roll with it, not play and engage in other hobbies and work. When I’m ready to come back, the machines will always be there.

#37 6 years ago

but.... when i look at the whole line of games nothing appeals anymore.

You’ve been in the hobby for over double the time I have been, so you probably know better than I, but it sounds like you need to change up your lineup if you’ve had the same games for quite some time. You have plenty of games you should be able to do an even swap for something else in a comparable price range or maybe a 2-4-1 if you want something more desirable or modern.

There’s always an ebb and flow with interest and how much you play, but if you get some new pins and still aren’t interested...that may be an indicator you’re either growing out of it or need a new hobby to supplement it.

Good luck with wherever the hobby takes you

#38 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

they make a pill for that...

It's called TNA

#39 6 years ago

works for me.

"You gave me chub with the whitewood"

#40 6 years ago

I got out for a few years. Sold them all. Then I found a local bar with 5 games and I started going once a month. Then three times a month. At $1 a play I would drop $25 plus beer. So I am looking to start buying again .

#41 6 years ago

I guess the key is to have games you love, not games other people think you should love.

Sure, if I only had games that took an hour to play, that would get tiring fast.

#42 6 years ago

when i look at the whole line of games nothing appeals anymore.

In no order

1. Beer
2. Weed
3. Leagues
4. Beer
5. Tournies
6. Weed
7. Beer

#43 6 years ago

I only play my TNA right now. Working on Alien kinda soured me on pinball in general honestly, but TNA is the antidote I needed.

#44 6 years ago

I really enjoy the games, themselves, and playing them for fun. So many folks are wrapped up in themes and recent releases or figuring out how to exploit a game so they can pop off scores in a league or a tournament. Honestly, don’t give a crap about that.

My collection sits and waits for those man vs machine moments... Sometimes that happens frequently, sometimes not.

Pinball isn’t an overriding priority for me, though. I’d sell them all without blinking if the need arose. For me, it’s a fun distraction from life.

#45 6 years ago

My father was an operator, we had about 40-50 Bally/Williams machines from the DMD era. While we owned them, I had almost no intrest in playing them at all. I was too young, wasn't very good either, and got bored of it. Much rather take them apart, do time consuming maintenance that our repair guys would not want to, tinker with them, ect. When we started selling them, I slowly started to feel bad about not being able to play when I want. Now that we have exactly 0 machines left, I miss them like crazy, and wish we kept every single one of them. Now I take every chance I get to play as long as my legs can hold me.

#46 6 years ago

I've been collecting pins for a bloody long time I'm 53 got my first one at 15 years old.

I've been on Pinside for ages, and I have been through stretches when I have 'gone off' the hobby, in fact in 2006 I ended selling my collection just keeping 2, boy what a mistake that was, as I had a wonderful collection.

I got back into pins a few years later, and my collecting is back up to 20.

I do still have times when I don't play but I have learned that I should never sell up again.

Like with anything I find I have times when I love pinballs then I don't play for a while.

C'est la vie I guess

#47 6 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

I'm tired of my games and haven't been playing lately. I think about selling a few to bring in something fresh, but I just can't bring myself to let them go.

Agreed.

My remedy to growing weary with
my games and the limited space
I have to work with, is to designate one
space/machine as a revolver. It is established in advance that I will keep
"that" machine for 6-9
months, no more than a year
It really helps to have at least one "new" machine and it doen't hurt as much to let it go.

#48 6 years ago

You can get burnt out in any hobby. Take a break, trade a pin or go play on location. Playing the same pins over and over can get repetitive, maybe it’s time for something new

#49 6 years ago

Even thought I've got 15 games, I need to take a break from the hobby.

I focus on other hobbies in the time period: Collecting vinyl, MtG, board games etc...

Also, refreshing the line up brings welcome change, but I can't really bring myself to sell games.

#50 6 years ago

When the weather gets nice I won't play as much.

Once, the temperature is over 50F consistently, it's time to drive the cars and drop the 25lbs of fat I put on from October through February.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

6,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
San Martin, CA
8,100 (OBO)
$ 209.00
$ 10.00
Playfields
Mod Magic!

There are 88 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lost-interest-in-playing?hl=g-bee and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.