forum-auditorium-gallery-4-1510111827 (resized).jpg
Screen Shot 2018-04-02 at 5.23.18 PM (resized).png
adfadf (resized).jpg
86EA7F2C-EEB5-44EB-907D-212C09CC069E (resized).jpeg
ECEF868C-0584-42C5-B33F-BB822B51BBB3 (resized).jpeg
33A0BADF-063D-4209-80B6-F6F5944818D0 (resized).jpeg
20180320_151529 (resized).jpg
190 (resized).jpg

There are 122 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 5 years ago

I truly enjoy movies, but going to the movies. I no longer like it.

For me it is several reasons, many stemming from my stroke and three brain surgeries.

One is the length of the previews alone. Then there is the idiots who talk or interrupt others in some way or another.

Case in point black panther. Excellent reviews, I haven't seen it yet.

Been waiting patiently for ready player one. Have not made the time yet.

It might be time to reinvent some cinemas. Or I will just stay home and watch from now on.

I remember hearing talk of first run movies in the home. I wonder if those days are very close.

#2 5 years ago

There are always SO many people at my theater that it makes it hard to see the actual movie.

#3 5 years ago

I have not been to a theater in 3 years. Movies hit dvd or stream so quickly now there is no sense in spending the money to go out to a movie. I would pay a premium if there was a way to watch new movies at home. It would put theaters out of business but would be nice to watch in the comfort of your home.

#4 5 years ago

Used to go to the movies regularly, but anymore we are just as comfortable staying home. Less aggravation, less expense, less sticky seats/floor. Nowadays you can watch movies on your phone, not the big screen experience but certainly more convenient.

#5 5 years ago

Movies have been trending toward teens and 20-somethings since they started. Every once in a while you can catch a non-blockbuster (the wife and I saw “three billboards outside ebbings Missouri” a few months ago)

If you want a less-full theater, go to the earliest show you can. If you want cheaper tickets, go to a second-run theater. If you don’t want to leave the house.. well god help ya

One thing though - if you like comedies, you owe it to yourself to see them with Lots of other people. Laughter is infectious and a good comedy can be a awesome experience in the theater.

#6 5 years ago

Go see Black Panther it's a great movie!!

My wife and i are going to see ready player one tonight.

We see a movie a month and have never had the rude audience experience.

#7 5 years ago

I pretty much altogether stopped going to movies. I have been twice since 1993. Occasionally I will buy the dvd when it is released but not as often as I used to. Not sure why my interest has dwindled. Its all good though, more time for pinball.

#8 5 years ago

I never really got the whole movie theater experience thing. The only thing I looked forward to was the popcorn. The last movie I saw in a theater was Legend Of Bagger Vance....18 years ago? I don't watch many movies at home either though. I'm more of a book guy.

#9 5 years ago

Last movie I saw in theaters was "Imitation game."

I'd rather do a drive in than movie theater.

#10 5 years ago

I joined Movie Pass and Now I am at the movies weekly. In the past I would get bothered by the noisy kids, but now given the cost is only $9 per month to see unlimited movies, I am not bothered so much.

#11 5 years ago

Honestly the last movie my wife and I saw in the theatre was Titanic...home theatres are so good now, and other people annoy me...

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

I joined Movie Pass and Now I am at the movies weekly. In the past I would get bothered by the noisy kids, but now given the cost is only $9 per month to see unlimited movies, I am not bothered so much.

Yup, we have Movie Passes too (3 of them) and that's the only reason I'll go to the movies - $9 a month. My wife and I go to one movie and it's paid for. I'll go see a movie during the day myself sometimes and we never go at night so we avoid crowds.

My daughter has the 3rd Movie Pass and her friends will borrow our cards so they can all go the movies together for free. Or our stepson and his girlfriend will borrow the cards to use for a date night. Typical month between all of us is probably 5-6 movies per card. Helluva deal!

#13 5 years ago

I only went one or two times a year until about 5 years ago when i moved really close to a Movie Tavern. It's amazing how smaller crowds, cheaper tickets, decent food, and a beer tanker that you can bring in and have them fill for you will lower the standards of what movies you'll see. I probably average once a month now.

#14 5 years ago

Here in Toronto we have "VIP" theatres with reclining leather seats, table service and booze. It's a premium priced product ($25 per person) so it tends to be older, quieter crowd. Yes it costs more, but for the number of times my wife and I go to the movies (maybe every 6 weeks) it's worth the extra cost for it to be an "experience".

#15 5 years ago

I love going to the movies wth my boys (I have 4). I see all of the major Marvel and Sci-if titles. We saw most of the Disney and Pixar when they were younger. My local stadium seating theater recently upgraded to reserved seating with full recliners. It’s much fewer people in the theater and no missing out on a good seat. Love the Popcorn too.

We’re going to Ready Player One today!

#16 5 years ago

I have lost interest due to Hollywood’s constant preaching their liberal opinions to everyone. I want Hollywood to entertain us not to get an opinion based civics lesson.

#17 5 years ago

I used to live in the theater all the way up to my early 30s (id go at least once a week). Now I go 2-3 times a year and it has been less and less enjoyable due to idiots in the theater. Until I found the Alamo drafthouse. Its amazing. They have a strict no talk or text policy. They dont joke around. Food is amazing they always have cool old movies movies playing. I cant friggin wait for the new Super Troopers!

They play this clip at the start of every movie.

#18 5 years ago

I’m with Wolfmarsh and Nevus on this. We rarely witness rude people and love going to the movies with our 2 boys. We also see most of the major Marvel, Sci-fi & fantasy titles and try to get reserved seating when it’s available.

We have a nice home theatre set up at home; but in our opinions, it doesn’t replace the more all-encompassing experience of the large theatre, particularly the IMAX screen.

Sure, the first few weeks of a big release are busier and we often avoid those showings unless we have reserved seating.

We’re also going to see Ready Player One tonight (with pre-booked seating) and can’t wait to see this flick in the IMAX theatre. Just wish the author had included pinballs in his awesome story lol.

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Here in Toronto we have "VIP" theatres with reclining leather seats, table service and booze. It's a premium priced product ($25 per person) so it tends to be older, quieter crowd. Yes it costs more, but for the number of times my wife and I go to the movies (maybe every 6 weeks) it's worth the extra cost for it to be an "experience".

If you haven't been to a Studio Movie Grill, you should try it at least once. Awesome table service in the theater. wide rows so the waitstaff can serve you without getting in the way. Fold out trays way larger that first class airplane seats. Food and booze. Modern buildings. There are 30 of them in the US so far. Mainly in Texas, CA (OP: One in Downey IIRC) and the Chicago areas. But also in Georgia, NC and one opening soon in the Unig of Indianapolis.

They are awesome. Bring your wallet though. Yes, they have movies too.

#20 5 years ago

Just saw Pacific Rim 2 in IMAX.
Wow, that's a big screen!
It was my son's birthday party, the kids loved it. So did we.

That said, I usually wait the 3 months and then buy the Blu-ray. We tend to watch the Marvel movies many times over (did I mention we have a kid). Plex is your friend

With home screen sizes and sound bars most movies come to life with the convenience of pausing when your bladder is full, or you want a snack. And if you miss some dialogue due to extraneous noise, hit rewind.

I do like the sound of the experience though, and agree with comedies in a public setting. We saw Serenity in the theater for just that reason, group experience.

#21 5 years ago

I took my kids to a food/movie a while back. It was fun but wow was it expensive. Tickets were free since I had a gift card but still paid over $70 in food. Movies are fun for the most part part but not worth all the money it takes to bring my whole family. I can buy the movie on bluray for cheaper when it comes out. Rarely is there a movie that I feel is a must see in theaters. I'm surprised the movie theaters have not really done anything to improve the movie experience. Some have nicer theaters but really it's the exact same experience when I was a kid. Some gross overpriced food, same dinky little arcade, same previews, and same annoyances.

#22 5 years ago

I used to love going to the movies, but I'm becoming more of a cheap ass since Red Box came out. The theaters are becoming more expensive...just for 2 people. So, I converted my sub basement into small a theater room...and we have really enjoyed the set up.

190 (resized).jpg190 (resized).jpg

#23 5 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

I took my kids to a food/movie a while back. It was fun but wow was it expensive. Tickets were free since I had a gift card but still paid over $70 in food. Movies are fun for the most part part but not worth all the money it takes to bring my whole family. I can buy the movie on bluray for cheaper when it comes out. Rarely is there a movie that I feel is a must see in theaters. I'm surprised the movie theaters have not really done anything to improve the movie experience. Some have nicer theaters but really it's the exact same experience when I was a kid. Some gross overpriced food, same dinky little arcade, same previews, and same annoyances.

Ha, yeah, I was reading their concession stand sign: Get a second large soft drink for only $6.19!

What!

#24 5 years ago
Quoted from Nevus:

I love going to the movies wth my boys (I have 4). I see all of the major Marvel and Sci-if titles. We saw most of the Disney and Pixar when they were younger. My local stadium seating theater recently upgraded to reserved seating with full recliners. It’s much fewer people in the theater and no missing out on a good seat. Love the Popcorn too.

We saw Ready Player One yesterday. Loved it! You’ll have a blast.

I hate 3D, but my oldest talked me into seeing the movie in 3D. I hate to say it, but the 3D was incredible. It was subtle and not headache inducing.

Even if you read the book, there’s tons of new stuff. Enjoy!

#25 5 years ago

Typically go once a week if something good is out. If there is a movie I want to see playing in IMAX then I'll drive out of my way to that theater to see it (true IMAX not that converted over shit). You will never get the same experience at home as IMAX no matter how nice your home theater is. The seating is reserved so I can buy online, select my seats, and get there whenever I want. You can also cancel the tickets at no charge if something comes up. They just converted the local cinemark to all luxury loungers which is very nice for non IMAX movies.

#26 5 years ago

Being retired I can wait for a movie to be out for a week and go on a Tue. morning . The price is right , sometimes free popcorn , and it's like a private showing . Never more than 6 people and no kids .

#27 5 years ago

I love going to the movies there's nothing like it there's no way a sitting at home is like being in a movie theater.. I also like to get the lawn chairs out and go to the drive-in but that's just me...

#28 5 years ago

Being a stingy sort of person, I've been going to see movies via Advance Screenings.

You don't get a choice about what's available but we've caught a few really good shows and a few stinkers.

Curse being, the theaters usually end up across town and some are older and need renovation. But I'm one of those that would rather see most movies with a bit more than 4 people in the theater.

One thing that amazes me is how much junk food some people will buy at the theater when the movie is free. And how much stuff some people will sneak in.

And I will never clap when that goddamn MJR commercial gets shown.

#29 5 years ago
Quoted from BagAJellyDonuts:

One thing that amazes me is how much junk food some people will buy at the theater when the movie is free.

If people stop buying the junk food, the theater will go out of business. Is that what you want?

#30 5 years ago

I haven't gone to the cinema in years..Not only are the previews too long but they are too loud and the movie that follows too.

Also screens are small..I miss the Big screens.When the mall cinemas started I thought all the choices was great in one facility..Wrong.

I'd rather drive to different locations to see the movie I want on the Big screen..Alas those days are over..

#31 5 years ago

There is almost no reason to go to the movies anymore. Home theaters have gotten to the point where they are as good or better than the cinema experience.

#32 5 years ago

I don't think I've been to the movies since Kung Fu Panda came out.

#33 5 years ago

the good movies (2.5 hours to 3 hours) are too long to sit through in a theater anymore. i'd rather watch them at home.

#34 5 years ago

The Marvel stuff has put me in the car again. Black Panther was a good flick.
The reserved reclining seat upgrades and beer options have made going a pretty good experience.

#35 5 years ago

I will say it's just no fun anymore since they tore down all the drive in theaters.

Those were the days when you could set up your camping chairs and bring in a big cooler full of beer and make an event out of it.

#36 5 years ago

I need to change the way I look at the movie experience now. There are pros and cons. As in anything else I guess.

I like the idea of a new theater experience. I don't want to see theaters go away, but they do not resemble the theaters I grew up with. Does that matter? To me, I guess. I am however just going to enjoy what we have. I would like to open a theater, but dealing with people like the girl on that message? Ug.

#37 5 years ago

We don't go often, maybe once or twice a year, but some movies I just want to see on a BIG screen, and LOUD. Reserved seating and recliners make it a lot nicer too.

#38 5 years ago

Don't forget many theaters are letting you in free to see the new Super Troopers 2 next month on opening night - as long as you have a mustache.

#39 5 years ago

It's all about the recliners and reserved seating. Without that, I would not go.

#40 5 years ago

Seems like most movies are longer than 2 hours now , that's fine if it's a good movie but it's been a while since I've seen a good movie . Most movies I have seen lately should have been edited down to not be over 2 hours , that would have made them more enjoyable .

#41 5 years ago
Quoted from Azmodeus:

I am however just going to enjoy what we have.

Give it a shot and really try to enjoy it. If you weren't across the country I'd invite you to come see a movie with me, we'd have a great time.

#42 5 years ago

Nothing beats that huge screen and the theater experience for me. Sure sometimes you have to deal with loud people or a screaming kid, but overall you can’t duplicate the excitement of the crowd at home

#43 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Don't forget many theaters are letting you in free to see the new Super Troopers 2 next month on opening night - as long as you have a mustache.
» YouTube video

Seriously? If so, I'll have to look into that. Could easily shave my beard down. Done it before for Halloween and it grows back in a week and a half, so nbd

#44 5 years ago
Quoted from Coz:

Sure sometimes you have to deal with loud people or a screaming kid

Or the dude with the huge afro haircut sitting down in front of you, but it is what it is.

#45 5 years ago

My wife and I joined MoviePass, so yep at $9 a month for unlimited movies we are loving it!

#46 5 years ago

Frankly, the movie industry is pricing itself out of the experience. For two people, the cost of two tickets, two drinks, popcorn and a box of candy is well in excess of $50. Now add in the headache of commercials (really? I'm paying for this viewing, I shouldn't have to see commercials. HBO doesn't have commercials.) and the pick your seat before you actually get in the theater, it's just a waste of time and money for the latest retread or rehash Hollywood has to offer. If I'm going to see Avengers 17:Squirrel Girl Licks Some Nuts, I can't rationalize the cost or time to actually get to the movie experience.

Too bad because movies really should be seen on a really large screen.

#47 5 years ago
Quoted from Nevus:

Us too in about 2 hours...in a very special car : ).

20180320_151529 (resized).jpg20180320_151529 (resized).jpg

#48 5 years ago

If they made a movie starring Vid and Odin together like Trading Places I’m in!

#49 5 years ago

Think, the last movie I saw in a theater was Skyfall. During the day, not a lot of people there.

#50 5 years ago
Quoted from Vino:

If they made a movie starring Vid and Odin together like Trading Places I’m in!

Aint no way I'm moving to Yemen. Sorry dude!

There are 122 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lost-interest-in-going-to-the-movies?hl=phat_jay and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.